Which way

Liam

Featured Posts

Hi folkes,

I'm not sure if I'm posting into the right part of the forums, here, but I am sure Jon will move me if I'm not :)

I'll be soon bringing a boat back from Cowroast on the GU, to Manchester, on the Bridgewater canal.

I've had a look at a few maps of the relative systems and I'm thinking about coming up the GU, T&M, through Harecastle, Cheshire locks and then down past Middlewich etc. Which way would YOU go?

Because I haven't boated past Hampton - Is there anything we should look forward to, or try and avoid along the way.

Thanks in advance,

Alternatively you could turn right after Harecastle and onto the Macclesfield, Peak Forest and Ashton canals and into Manchester.  A little quicker this way but more locks.  Both routes have their attractions.

Thanks for that John.

How many hours cruising would this take, at 3mph?... anyone have an idea?

Thanks for that John.

How many hours cruising would this take, at 3mph?... anyone have an idea?

Liam.

From Harecastle to Manchester allow a minimum 4 days but allow another day on the Macclesfield it you have time.

Spend the 3rd. or 4th. night at Portland Basin Ashton and make an early start, say 05.00 hrs. you will reach Castlefield mid afternoon. Don't let people put you off that trip, you will enjoy it.

Liam.

From Harecastle to Manchester allow a minimum 4 days but allow another day on the Macclesfield it you have time.

Spend the 3rd. or 4th. night at Portland Basin Ashton and make an early start, say 05.00 hrs. you will reach Castlefield mid afternoon.  Don't let people put you off that trip, you will enjoy it.

Unfortunately, it won't be a holiday. We have to get this boat back up north as far as possible from Tring, as we only have a week off work, and we would like to break its back. After that week, we will have to weekend it, which we'd like to avoid. I think we'll end up going straight through, via Cheshire Locks.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, it won't be a holiday. We have to get this boat back up north as far as possible from Tring, as we only have a week off work, and we would like to break its back. After that week, we will have to weekend it, which we'd like to avoid. I think we'll end up going straight through, via Cheshire Locks.

Well, we're leaving in the morning! I can't berluddy wait, I've had a week off work especially for the occasion.

Looking forward to cruising a stretch of canal I've never done before.

The route we've planned to follow is Grand Union, Oxford, Coventry, Brum & Fazeley, T&M, and then finally back home onto the Bridgewater.

Give me a wave if you see us passing or see you when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've got it back!

Set off on Saturday 9th and got back for Sunday 17th. Not sure how many miles we've covered or locks that we've worked but we know that it was a fair few :closedeyes:

I'm going to post the log in the cruise diaries section but here's a quick run down.

Saturday - Can't remember (D'oh!)

Sunday - Cosgrove Jnct

Monday - Braunston

Tuesday - Atherstone (Just north out of town)

Wedesday - Grt. Haywood

Thursday - Stone - Fuel pump died here, hence the delay.

Friday - Etrurua / China Gardens

Saturday - Northwich / Broken Cross

Sunday - Moorings (In Manchester)

Not bad I don't think :P

Added: Did go past Kings Lock and saw your boat but didn't see you Bernie.

Edited by Liam

Thats because Bernie like John O is computer generated. I thought Wynd Lass had already communicated that point !

:P

Well, we've got it back!

Set off on Saturday 9th and got back for Sunday 17th. Not sure how many miles we've covered or locks that we've worked but we know that it was a fair few :closedeyes:

I'm going to post the log in the cruise diaries section but here's a quick run down.

Saturday - Can't remember (D'oh!)

Sunday - Cosgrove Jnct

Monday - Braunston

Tuesday - Atherstone (Just north out of town)

Wedesday - Grt. Haywood

Thursday - Stone - Fuel pump died here, hence the delay.

Friday - Etrurua / China Gardens

Saturday - Northwich / Broken Cross

Sunday - Moorings (In Manchester)

Not bad I don't think :)

Added: Did go past Kings Lock and saw your boat but didn't see you Bernie.