Legal Advice Required

Old Son

Featured Posts

I had enough dinner money in cash, per day, to go to The Cafe.

Senior Service were 3d, Bristol 2.5d, a Juke Box cost 3d per play ....Oh Carol  or Diana were favourites,, not sure what/if we ate, no baguettes then. Smith's Crisps with blue twists of salt, and Coca Cola in a bottle, with straw, to which we might add an Aspirin, to give it a kick.

The Cafe was 'out of bounds', I think.

Edited by LadyG

Back to the original topic. We pay £45 an hour for someone to work on the boat and last time I looked a typical solicitor would charge £150 - £250 an hour.

In my experience work on the boat is satisfactory something like 95% of the time whereas solicitors have been successful (in combative cases) about 20% of the time.

Add to this the prospect of costs from the other side and I'm led to the conclusion that it's best to put the money into the boat rather than lawyers.

• Greenie 2

On 27/04/2021 at 11:42, Old Son said:

It seems paperwork was promised when the boat was purchased and none of it has been forthcoming. Your advice has followed my own thoughts and whilst appearing quite unfair on the purchaser, she should have sought advice.

I don't think she will take this any further, take it on the chin as a lessons learnt.

It puts her in a difficult position if she wants to sell the boat, no RCD. She will probably have to wait until the boat is confirmed as 5 years old and get a BSC.

Thank you for all your input.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you said, she can get a boat safety inspection carried out at any time. Also, unless already mentioned, has she thoroughly searched the boat for a builders plate that may reference a CE mark?

37 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

It puts her in a difficult position if she wants to sell the boat, no RCD. She will probably have to wait until the boat is confirmed as 5 years old and get a BSC.

Thank you for all your input.

The problem is that now the RCD is 'for life'' and as other buyers have found Brokers are now saying that they cannot sell a boat without RCD (irrespective of age)

The 5 year rule is for home-builds, the RCD is compulsory for any commercial builders, and paperwork must be retained for the life of the boat.

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem is that now the RCD is 'for life'' and as other buyers have found Brokers are now saying that they cannot sell a boat without RCD (irrespective of age)

The 5 year rule is for home-builds, the RCD is compulsory for any commercial builders, and paperwork must be retained for the life of the boat.

Edited by Markinaboat

23 hours ago, LadyG said:

I had enough dinner money in cash, per day, to go to The Cafe.

Senior Service were 3d, Bristol 2.5d, a Juke Box cost 3d per play ....Oh Carol  or Diana were favourites,, not sure what/if we ate, no baguettes then. Smith's Crisps with blue twists of salt, and Coca Cola in a bottle, with straw, to which we might add an Aspirin, to give it a kick.

The Cafe was 'out of bounds', I think.

Sadly Coca Cola changed their formula so the Aspirin no longer works. :(

1 hour ago, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

Sadly Coca Cola changed their formula so the Aspirin no longer works. :(

In my day the likely lads used Disprins to get the girls giggly, they dissolve faster. That was before purple hearts.

We freeze distilled Coke in cans, the neat cocaine laced liquor would freeze you mouth for an hour or more, great flavour.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

???

somethign up with the tech. It stated that I posted "

It puts her in a difficult position if she wants to sell the boat, no RCD. She will probably have to wait until the boat is confirmed as 5 years old and get a BSC.

Thank you for all your input." when it wasn't me. I started to say what I've just said but abandoned it, or so I thought! ?.

14 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

somethign up with the tech. It stated that I posted "

It puts her in a difficult position if she wants to sell the boat, no RCD. She will probably have to wait until the boat is confirmed as 5 years old and get a BSC.

Thank you for all your input." when it wasn't me. I started to say what I've just said but abandoned it, or so I thought! ?.

You don't need an RCD or to wait any number of years to get a BSS, you can get a BSS the 1st day she is put in the water (from new)

The point is that the RCD it is no longer just the 5 year rule,

Brokers are (apparently) saying they can no longer sell any boat without the RCD paperwork.

She may never be able to sell it without having a PCA (costs £1000s) and rectifying anything non compliant. It could become a worrying time for boaters who don't have the RCD certificates.

There was a thread about it recently.

On 25/04/2021 at 12:24, Arthur Marshall said:

My boat failed the BSS on electrics four years after the previous examiner rewired it for me. Cost me a small fortune. Every "expert" and inspector will have a different view of what's safe or legal, and none of them really know what they're talking about and all of them can insist you change stuff. It's a normal boating nightmare these days, and there's nowt you can do about it except pay. Tell your friend welcome to the world of boats, get the boat how she likes it and try not to get stressed about it.

She is unlikely to explode, catch fire or sink, and what else matters?

This made me chuckle Arthur. With all due respect, I've seen your boat. It's not in the first flush of youth. This lady bought a four year old boat. It sounds like she was unlucky enough to buy one that has been fitted out by someone who didn't know what they were doing

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

In my day the likely lads used Disprins to get the girls giggly, they dissolve faster. That was before purple hearts.

We freeze distilled Coke in cans, the neat cocaine laced liquor would freeze you mouth for an hour or more, great flavour.

Definately showing your age there, cocaine was removed from the formula in 1903.

The aspirin and coke thing is an urban myth, and any perceived effects are purely psychosomatic or the caffeine and aspirin-thinned blood causing dizziness. Much like drinking beer through a straw gets you drunk quicker, its complete guff.

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Definately showing your age there, cocaine was removed from the formula in 1903.

The aspirin and coke thing is an urban myth, and any perceived effects are purely psychosomatic or the caffeine and aspirin-thinned blood causing dizziness. Much like drinking beer through a straw gets you drunk quicker, its complete guff.

Cocaine removed in 1929 :)

3 hours ago, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

Cocaine removed in 1929 :)

yes you are correct, fully removed in 1929 ;) 

between 1902 and 1929 it had been reduced to trace amounts

How much cocaine was in that “mere trace” is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn’t become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then”

18 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

yes you are correct, fully removed in 1929 ;) 

between 1902 and 1929 it had been reduced to trace amounts

How much cocaine was in that “mere trace” is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn’t become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then”

Oh the spoil sports :)