Please sign this VAT Petition

JamesFrance

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It started off with a years notice then due to C19 it was extended another 12 months, and now it has been extended again to Mid 2022. You'd have thought that was enough time to get it sorted out.

It started off by them saying don't worry you will qualify for returned goods relief, then (in October 2020) get back by christmas, then OK you can have 1 years grace, now it has gone up to June 2022, so if you don't need to come back before next summer you are stuffed

45 minutes ago, twbm said:

The referendum was in 2016 ... 

which has got nothing to do with anything at that time we were going to enjoy the sunny uplands and unicorns with no loss of anything

46 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Does the same rule apply if you have a UK purchased car in the EU?

more or less but since cars go back and forward all the time you just might get away with it

We are no longer in the EU so the rules are the same as for any other independent country.

I understand there is no need to pay VAT if the rules are observed .

The people must learn to live with the consequences of their decision to leave the EU.

49 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Does the same rule apply if you have a UK purchased car in the EU?

I believe it applies to any goods . If so the petition might be  better worded to capture a wider interest.

You can take  a car or boat abroad and not pay VAT by the way - subject to certain conditions.

''Crucial to this subject matter are the provisions of the Returned Goods Relief regulations which allowed that a vessel that had previously had VAT paid on it and been exported from the UK or EU may qualify for relief on return if it:

was imported normally within 3 years of its export from the UK or EU

was imported by the person who exported it from the UK or EU''

https://ancasta.com/news/brexit-and-the-vat-status-of-boats-into-2021/

What warning was that? It was a decision made by HMRC a few months ago - there was no suggestion before that that boats returning to the UK from 'abroad' would be subject to a second dose of VAT even if they'd paid once before.

Tam

34 minutes ago, MartynG said:

We are no longer in the EU so the rules are the same as for any other independent country.

I understand there is no need to pay VAT if the rules are observed .

The people must learn to live with the consequences of their decision to leave the EU.

I believe it applies to any goods . If so the petition might be  better worded to capture a wider interest.

You can take  a car or boat abroad and not pay VAT by the way - subject to certain conditions.

''Crucial to this subject matter are the provisions of the Returned Goods Relief regulations which allowed that a vessel that had previously had VAT paid on it and been exported from the UK or EU may qualify for relief on return if it:

was imported normally within 3 years of its export from the UK or EU

was imported by the person who exported it from the UK or EU''

https://ancasta.com/news/brexit-and-the-vat-status-of-boats-into-2021/

I  don't think the people who voted for brexit give a monkeys

the imposition of vat on returning boats is not an ineveitable or expected consequence of brexit but an arbitary decision of  HMRC  a few months ago. Certain categories of goods have an exemption from the 3 year rule and we were led to believe those would apply to private boats, in any event logically the 3 year clock should start from the date UK left the EU before then they were within the customs union

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

............in any event logically the 3 year clock should start from the date UK left the EU before then they were within the customs union

If people have until mid 2022 as said above  that's almost -  2 and half years from the end of January 2020 when the UK left the EU , so not far off the 3 years rule.  Not may people would want to cross from the EU to the UK by boat in the winter .

I don't think the petition will go anywhere . To the general public  it reads like some rich bloke with a boat ranting  about his own circumstances .

The following looks like it might be worth a look but I have not read it in detail as I don't have a boat in the EU.

https://www.keystonelaw.com/keynotes/the-vat-problem-top-tips-for-yacht-buyers-and-owners#:~:text=VAT is also chargeable on,without being liable for VAT.

Edited by MartynG