Bench seat for stern

Philip

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a water-resistant plank/bench to fit to the stern rail to make for a bit comfier seating. I'll look to add some waterproof cushion padding afterwards. Does anyone know a good material and website to use for ordering please? I've seen some that appear to be made of wood, with a black plastic/rubber coating around the outside. I'd like to specify my own dimensions because if it is too wide then it'll get in the way of the throttle lever; too deep it'll get in the way of the tiller etc.

Edited by Philip

Just now, Athy said:

As you will surely be sitting on it only when the boat is moored, getting in the way is perhaps less of an issue.

I'm planning on sitting on it for at least part of the normal 10-12 hour cruising days I'll be doing! Standing/resting on the narrow stern rail after a while will be a bit uncomfortable.

• Greenie 1

Those that have them have, usually, made their own from suitable wood. There is a danger if that seat is used when cruising as I am sure you are aware, if the rudder hits something it can swing the tiller and knock anyone sat on that seat into the water very much into the vicinity of that big metal whirly thing, nasty.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Those that have them have, usually, made their own from suitable wood. There is a danger if that seat is used when cruising as I am sure you are aware, if the rudder hits something it can swing the tiller and knock anyone sat on that seat into the water very much into the vicinity of that big metal whirly thing, nasty.

Isn't that the case even if sat on the stern rail though? The swinging tiller could knock a person in sat on that and if anything is more likely because it is narrower and you're sat closer to the edge.

Are some storable fold-up chairs better, positioned so that they're forward of the tiller slightly?

• Greenie 1

I've seen some cruiser-stern boats with a bench/plank seat located a foot or so below the stern rail, fixed to the stern rail supports. Is this a safer option?

Like this example:

image.png.c5b0e3b664744be7a2875234b3e44db8.png

Edited by Philip
  • Greenie 1

Probably if you sit on the front part of the side bench, which looks as if it would be outside the arc of the tiller. To sit within the arc of the tiller is to invite danger.

Couldn't you just stand up?

Such doom and gloom in reply to a simple question.

I would do exactly as you have suggested, find a picture or a boat with exactly what you want then either buy the wood, Iroko or other, and make it yourself or have a carpenter/joiner/boatbuilder do it to your specs.

As you say, sitting on the steel rail or the wooden seat both have their 'dangers' but at least one is more comfortable than the other.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Doing a lot of single-handed boating, it is nice to have something comfy to sit on for a bit, whilst navigating long pounds. 

You have been informed of the dangers, you can now make an informed choice, at least the forum has taken the responsibilty of explaining the dangers, you are now free to ignore the advice or follow it.

• Greenie 4

I can see the point on how sitting on a stern rail or any kind of seat within the arc of the tiller, with no protection behind, is potentially a hazard.

I can't understand why you think it is still dangerous even in the latter picture I showed, clearly there is no danger of the tiller knocking you overboard when you have a foot or so of protection behind you from the stern rail and supports up against your back whilst sat down. Where is the hazard here?

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I can see the point on how sitting on a stern rail or any kind of seat within the arc of the tiller, with no protection behind, is potentially a hazard.

I can't understand why you think it is still dangerous even in the latter picture I showed, clearly there is no danger of the tiller knocking you overboard when you have a foot or so of protection behind you from the stern rail and supports up against your back whilst sat down. Where is the hazard here?

You get pinned between the tiller and the rail and suffer chest injuries.

The issue of getting swiped by the tiller is one of low likelihood but high consequence. You make your choice based on your personal view of the risk. There’s no right or wrong.

• Greenie 3

Check how far your tiller comes round when it is fully over to one side, on some boats the rudder will not the stern of the boat and so the tiller from traveling far enough to either send you flying over the stern or hit you in the chest. I have heard of someone getting broken ribs from being hit by a tiller.

3 hours ago, Detling said:

I have seen recycled plastic bags made into planks which look good and won't rot.  Some park benches use them.

They are not as stiff as wood and therefore need to be thicker to avoid bending under load I would use iroko

On the subject of being injured by the tiller when going forwards. I have never considered it as a problem. In reverse yes, and I always stand forward of the tiller arc.

The amount of rudder forward of the hinge line is very small so if something hits it the lever arm to deflect the rudder is very small compared to the lever arm of the tiller. 

Also anything hitting the rudder has to get through or round the prop first so I don't think anything very big could hit it. (I have had a log stop the prop though).

I can't find a photo of my rudder at the moment.

Am I being stupid to be in the tiller arc going forward?

(8years of ownership and a number of years of hiring beforethat).

• Greenie 2