micro SD card for Android mobile

jenevers

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Somebody please tell me which microSD card to buy to transfer all my photos onmy Android phone?

I do not understand what you want to do?

Do you wish to transfer pictures etc from the phone internal memory to another storage medium?

This is dead easy unless it is an iPhone of course.

iPhones do not have SD cards.

Android phones will plug into a laptop and you can read internal storage and transfer to hard drive or other storage medium.

9 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Somebody please tell me which microSD card to buy to transfer all my photos onmy Android phone?

I stick to any 'good' makes eg SanDisk. I usually buy from a reliable source eg Asda to avoid landing a fake product. Or a reliable internet source eg Amazon (not an  Amazon market place seller).

Same as Happy Nomad, I use the largest SanDisk card the device will support and purchase from Amazon or one of the supermarkets. Sometimes places like Argos will have a good offer on some cards.

Why use an SD card?

If you set up a cloud account such as Dropbox, Google Drive or  Microsoft OneDrive and all your photos can be backed up to that.

Ours are set to automatically copy to Dropbox and Google Drive so we have two copies that can be accessed anywhere from any device.

27 minutes ago, jenevers said:

You will need to look in your phone documentation to see what card is compatible with your device.

28 minutes ago, bill brown said:

I believe if you transfer data from the internal memory in a Android phone to the phones SD card it will be encrypted so you can't just take the card out of the phone and then have it read by a computer.

Sometimes  I have had Windows report an SD card as being corrupted and needing 'fixing' so that is correct to a degree.

However if you just connect the phone using a USB lead you can normally see and down load your images from there.

(Unless this has changed recently as I now normally managed all my pics via Google photos and download them from there if I need to).

1 hour ago, bill brown said:

I believe if you transfer data from the internal memory in a Android phone to the phones SD card it will be encrypted so you can't just take the card out of the phone and then have it read by a computer.

No.

It depends on settings but most do not encrypt to SD Card by default.

40 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

No.

It depends on settings but most do not encrypt to SD Card by default.

What does happen is that if you set the card as internal storage when you put it in the phone it is then unreadable if you remove it. ?

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

Why use an SD card?

If you set up a cloud account such as Dropbox, Google Drive or  Microsoft OneDrive and all your photos can be backed up to that.

Ours are set to automatically copy to Dropbox and Google Drive so we have two copies that can be accessed anywhere from any device.

You will need to look in your phone documentation to see what card is compatible with your device.

If you have an Amazon Prime account you get unlimited photo storage at the photos original resolution, and the photos you take are automatically uploaded via the Amazon Photos app.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

If you have an Amazon Prime account you get unlimited photo storage at the photos original resolution, and the photos you take are automatically uploaded via the Amazon Photos app.

True but I got my Dropbox account many many years ago and it does the same thing, my Google account is just a backup. 

8 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

I do not understand what you want to do?

Do you wish to transfer pictures etc from the phone internal memory to another storage medium?

This is dead easy unless it is an iPhone of course.

iPhones do not have SD cards.

Android phones will plug into a laptop and you can read internal storage and transfer to hard drive or other storage medium.

As you can also do with an Iphone

9 hours ago, jenevers said:

OK - this is half an answer. My new Android phone has space for a network card and a second slot for storage or a separate number/account. Can't remember the details but phone started exhibiting strange symptoms - would not perform some functions. Only resolved by removing second card and operating on one/provider SIM/card.

15 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

As you can also do with an Iphone

Only with the registered copy of iTunes software installed on the laptop, whereas an android phone does not need any special software for a computer to read it fully.

12 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Only with the registered copy of iTunes software installed on the laptop, whereas an android phone does not need any special software for a computer to read it fully.

Two of my daughters used to extol the supposed virtues of the massively overpriced iphone and had them for several years. Eventualy they saw the light and now all four daughters have android. They now find lo and behold that they can all exchange any thing between themselves and everything is compatible.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Two of my daughters used to extol the supposed virtues of the massively overpriced iphone and had them for several years. Eventualy they saw the light and now all four daughters have android. They now find lo and behold that they can all exchange any thing between themselves and everything is compatible.

Its funny I was at the garage the other day doing some electrics on a car when Lucy from the tile shop came across to borrow a charger for her apple phone, we were her last chance 18 businesses and no one had an apple phone including us! Her comment was priceless "whats wrong with you lot why dont you have proper phones?" We were all waving our android phones at her, I would not dream of downgrading to apple

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I've managed to convert one daughter to Android. She wanted a really good camera and didn't want to spend silly money on a high end iPhone so I pointed her in the direction of Huawei on which the camera was brilliant and now has a Samsung after dropping it!.

Other daughter and both daughters husband's are still welded to Apple products though.

I wouldn't have any Apple device even if they were giving them away. All Apple stuff is junk. It just goes to show the power of Apple's hype that so many people think they are the bee's knees. To be honest I wouldn't buy an Apple device partly because they are stupidly expensive, becoming more and more impossible to repair which ties you into buying new, they are not compatible with the majority of the rest of the world, but also BECAUSE of Apple's hype. Having said that Samsung is rapidly going down the same road. WAAWEE and LG have, more or less gone which doesn't leave a lot of choice.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

I wouldn't have any Apple device even if they were giving them away. All Apple stuff is junk. It just goes to show the power of Apple's hype that so many people think they are the bee's knees. To be honest I wouldn't buy an Apple device partly because they are stupidly expensive, becoming more and more impossible to repair which ties you into buying new, they are not compatible with the majority of the rest of the world, but also BECAUSE of Apple's hype. Having said that Samsung is rapidly going down the same road. WAAWEE and LG have, more or less gone which doesn't leave a lot of choice.

There is still a decent array of reasonably priced Android phones but they often get written off as Chinese tat. (Bearing in mind where iPhones are manufactured!). People also baulk at the names, Poco, Redmi, Mi, etc. make decent phones with decent specs. and batteries.

Techspurt on Youtube does comprehensive reviews.

Edited by The Happy Nomad