Oil change

Featured Posts

Hello

Why straight 30?

FRs were built to use straight 10.

When I bought this boat 15 years ago it had been run on 30 but was a total pig to start when really cold so I tried moving to 10. Immense improvement but oil pressure was a bit low due to a rather tired bottom end which we haven't got round to dealing with yet so on advice from Richard Milligan,

vintage engine man and cold start Lister expert after he'd rebuilt the top end, I now run it on a multigrade: 20/50cc. Start up when cold is 40psi, dropping to 30 and running hot all day at 20psi.

Tickover, around 15.

I used Comma Classic in my Isuzu for a few years. I think it was 20w 50?

It seemed fine to me. I think most people who've used any oil would probably recommend it unless something catastrophic happened like their engine seizing! Apart from the API codes what else does one have to go on? I guess oil colour and viscosity when they change it, but apart from that most people will be swayed by the marketing.

Edited by blackrose

I've used Comma - correct grade and API- in my car and boat. Nothing has rattled, gone bang or broken. Mind you, nothing went bang when I used the cheapest possible oil (couple of quid a gallon) in my Allegro. Built to last they were.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've used Comma - correct grade and API- in my car and boat. Nothing has rattled, gone bang or broken. Mind you, nothing went bang when I used the cheapest possible oil (couple of quid a gallon) in my Allegro. Built to last they were.

Sorry had to come back on this, my father in law was the engine designer on that!  He will be pleased!!

Many thanks all, I shall give Comma a try. As regards the grade I’ve just carried on using what the previous 2 owners used. In 6 years I’ve never had a starting problem although I do always give it the recommended 20+ turns with the starting handle after its been left, before firing it up. 

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I ran my mini on anything I could get cheap or better still free. It all leaked out the same.

Watch Comma. The oil you mention should be fine performance and life wise but they also make or used to make a similar SAE spec oil that had no API specification. It was called "Motorway". I would not use any oil that did not display and API or ACEA specification

Comma Classic SAE 20w50 Motor Oil 5L. Comma Oil Product Features Conventional, multigrade engine oil. * Protects and preserves old engines. * High viscosity helps to reduce oil loss & leakage. * Ensures economical oil consumption. * Multigrade Oil for use in Summer and Winter. * Oil adapts to outside temperature. * Oil change every 2000 to 3000 miles. Comma Oil Service Classification: * API SE CC Product Code- CLA20505L 

I worked in the Bulk Lube Oil business several years ago.

I can assure you there are a thousand times more container and label makers than there are oil types.

So long as it is the correct grade to the required standard, the name does not matter.

Halfords do not make oil but they sell quite a lot of it.

9 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

I worked in the Bulk Lube Oil business several years ago.

I can assure you there are a thousand times more container and label makers than there are oil types.

So long as it is the correct grade to the required standard, the name does not matter.

Halfords do not make oil but they sell quite a lot of it.

A few years ago I did a job for a northern brewery. In the canning department, there were several different products getting filled ranging from cheap supermarket "own-brand" to the premium brands. All got filled with the exactly the same beer. I guess this applies to loads of products.

Despite that I always use Comma Classic 20w50 in my BMC 1.5 - maybe I should save a few quid and go to Halfords!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

Save even more and go to Tescos ?

Or Wilkinsons etc.

Trouble is its getting harder and harder to find retail packs of lower API spec oil as recommended for BMCs etc. I think the cheapest way is to find much lesser known brands from wholesalers/farm suppliers/motor factors and buy in bulk. As soon as you see "Classic" on the label you know the price will have been hiked.

• Greenie 1