• 1 month later...

iver Trent
Starts At: Lock 10, Stoke Lock
Ends At: Lock 10, Stoke Lock

Thursday 17 June 2021 until Friday 2 July 2021 23:59

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Update on 22/06/2021:

• Stoke Lock has had a delayed start, but the dredging crew should be there on Thursday 24th June.  We anticipate they will be dredging there through to 2nd July.

Original message:

The dredging plant will be taken from Ratcliffe Lock to Stoke Lock to clear sediments from the lock tail there. 

All being well, the move between Ratcliffe and Stoke will take approx. 1 ½ days and so dredging will be in progress at Stoke Lock by Thursday 17th June

We anticipate 4-5 days dredging will be required at Stoke Lock.

Please proceed with care and follow any advice given on site. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:

iver Trent

Update on 22/06/2021:

• Stoke Lock has had a delayed start, but the dredging crew should be there on Thursday 24th June.  We anticipate they will be dredging there through to 2nd July.

Original message:

The dredging plant will be taken from Ratcliffe Lock to Stoke Lock to clear sediments from the lock tail there. 

All being well, the move between Ratcliffe and Stoke will take approx. 1 ½ days and so dredging will be in progress at Stoke Lock by Thursday 17th June

You can view this notice and its map online here:

iver Trent

Update on 22/06/2021:

Original message:

I saw on Facebook another boat got stuck there and spent the night stranded with dogs unable to get ashore! Apparently no one would attempt a tow for insurance reasons? I'm amazed CRT haven't got better warnings up. All it needs is either the lock keeper (or a written note if on self service) at the lock before Stoke in either direction. 

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Apparently no one would attempt a tow for insurance reasons? 

Someone I know towed a boat and that resulted in damage to the towed boat.

He  was held liable for the cost of the repairs .

Rescues should perhaps be left to the professionals unless life is at risk.

5 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I saw on Facebook another boat got stuck there and spent the night stranded with dogs unable to get ashore! Apparently no one would attempt a tow for insurance reasons? I'm amazed CRT haven't got better warnings up. All it needs is either the lock keeper (or a written note if on self service) at the lock before Stoke in either direction. 

I have just had a look through our old boat policy and there is a clause saying: 

"We will not pay claims arising directly from (a long list of exclusions)

29 the boat towing another boat or being towed by another boat except in an emergency, unless it is customary"

We did tow boats to help them when they had broken down or become stranded and we were towed ourselves the one time we broke down on the Trent.

Although having seen the shoal at Stoke I don't think I would be too happy about towing another boat off there to be honest.

Doesn't sound like CRT are going to do a proper job of removing the shoal again. No doubt they just plan to put the dredgings in the weir stream again and they will just come back again :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

"We will not pay claims arising directly from (a long list of exclusions)

29 the boat towing another boat or being towed by another boat except in an emergency, unless it is customary"

And I would argue that for narrow boats on the canals, towing is customary, given the history of motor and butty operation. But I have heard of insurance agents spluttering over their coffee when told that an unpowered boat weighing 15 tons is regularly towed by another boat.

Over the years I have pulled stuck boats off the mud, and been pulled off by others, as well as taking broken down boats in tow. None of these are exactly life or death situations, but the alternative of arranging some formal tug tow would be time consuming and expensive. It would be regrettable if boaters refused to help one another out because of 'insurance reasons'.

• Greenie 2

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And I would argue that for narrow boats on the canals, towing is customary, given the history of motor and butty operation.

The location in question is not a canal.