Banbury Lift Bridge 164 Oxford Canal.

Maffi

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I think there are quite a few members who log in as 'guest' now and then, just to check what's been said perhaps. 

Why would you want to do that anonymously? Or is it that if you have a look via a different computer and can't be bothered to go through the log in it just registers you as "Guest"? I only have access to the three now so I suppose it automatically logs me one from each. 

On 06/07/2021 at 13:10, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably it is quite simple to indentify them from their IP address.

There is no such real 'cloak of anonymity' on the internet.

Most residential (as opposed to business) IP addresses are dynamic. Reboot your router and you get a different IP address. So not really traceable unless you could get the service provider interested enough to tell you who had such and such IP address at a certain time. I don't think they would do that unless you were a police officer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/07/2021 at 13:05, David Mack said:

Can the 'Report' option not be disabled for anyone who is not a logged in member?

Report is left open to guests because it is the only openly publicised way for the general public to contact the staff team and myself as owner.

We are a reasonably large forum in a fairly small world and have some moral and a few legal obligations, which includes members of the public being able to contact those operating the site.

The number of guest reports in very manageable, and often they are and relevant and pertinent as that from members, if like any report, only acted on when appropriate. 

As said, a 'guest' is simply a user who has not logged in. Many 'guest users' visit regularly and use the site without an account, many are also simple account holding members who have are not logged in at the time.

Daniel

Site Owner