Jump to content

Incinerating toilets


TomIre

Featured Posts

On 20/04/2021 at 21:35, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

Yup 6.99Kwh is ~700Ah (at 12v) or 14x 100Ah batteries discharged to 50% SoC, but it's easy to discharge batteries, the hard part is recharging before the next flush.

Can someone who can work this stuff out give a rough cost estimate of diesel required to replace the electricity, I appreciate there are variables but a ball park figure 

17 minutes ago, TomIre said:

No idea.  Also don't know how to amortize the cost of solar cells charging a battery which supplies power as well.  I've seen estimates of gas incinerator toilets at .50p.

Hopefully someone can give a rough idea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Can someone who can work this stuff out give a rough cost estimate of diesel required to replace the electricity, I appreciate there are variables but a ball park figure 

Hopefully someone can give a rough idea

1 litre of diesel has the potential to produce  approximately10.9 KWh of energy according to the governments data. Some of that will be lost due to losses in the engine and alternator etc (friction, heat etc).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Can someone who can work this stuff out give a rough cost estimate of diesel required to replace the electricity, I appreciate there are variables but a ball park figure 

 

For the worse case toilets at 6.99Kw that would very very roughly be running your engine with a 70amp alternator for 35 hours, At 1.5 litres per hour and £1 per litre it would equate to some  £55 per period.

4 minutes ago, PCSB said:

1 litre of diesel has the potential to produce  approximately10.9 KWh of energy according to the governments data. Some of that will be lost due to losses in the engine and alternator etc (friction, heat etc).

 

 

Remember that the charge rate is controlled by the battery state of charge and you normally only achieve around 1/3rd of the capacity of the alternator as the last 10% charge can take many, many, hours.

 

You are suggesting that it would take less than 1 litre of diesel (3/4 hour engine time) to recharge your batteries by 700Ah

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

...

 

Remember that the charge rate is controlled by the battery state of charge and you normally only achieve around 1/3rd of the capacity of the alternator as the last 10% charge can take many, many, hours.

Easy to forget things like this (at least for me ...), ta muchly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

For the worse case toilets at 6.99Kw that would very very roughly be running your engine with a 70amp alternator for 35 hours, At 1.5 litres per hour and £1 per litre it would equate to some  £55 per period.

 

Remember that the charge rate is controlled by the battery state of charge and you normally only achieve around 1/3rd of the capacity of the alternator as the last 10% charge can take many, many, hours.

 

You are suggesting that it would take less than 1 litre of diesel (3/4 hour engine time) to recharge your batteries by 700Ah

Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make, incineration bogs may be a lovely thing but if it is going to cost £50 every time you press that button, plus of course the speedy killing of the batteries because you would never get them near full in time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 20/04/2021 at 21:28, TomIre said:

A search did not turn up any recent posts on this - time to start a new thread!

Does anyone have first hand experience with this type of toilet?  

I do understand the power needs.  If I go this route it will be electric.

My main question is how often do you need to incinerate?  My reading Incinerating toilet tests from Sweden seems to indicate that you only need to run the incinerator every six or so uses.  I'm guessing this excludes urine?  If this is correct then if smells are not an issue it doesn't need to be run every time the toilet is used.  Maybe once a day and maybe not that often for a couple cruising.  

Would be very interested to hear some real life experiences if they are out there.

I am glad you asked this question it is one we have been considering. We are planning to do a new build next year and were looking into this. Have you come to any  conclusions on this yet or found any one who has one fitted 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're probably six months away from having to make this decision. I hope to speak with someone who has used an electric incinerator by then. There are a handful on the cut. But nothing more right now. Stay in touch and let me know what you find out and I'll do the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.