Signwriting

blackrose

Featured Posts

The signwriter is coming tomorrow to have a look at his blank canvas. My boat is quite low to the bank so I explained he probably wouldn't be able to sit on his box and would need to sit on the bank with his legs dangling over the side. He'll return on May 4th to do the job so I'll post a picture after that for anyone that's interested.

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting nearly a month for the rain to stop but this was finally done today. 

When he first started the shading me and the signwriter both said the black didn't stand out enough against the anthracite background so we agreed to do the shading in grey (lighter than the background colour). However he'd only done a few letters and I really didn't like it. It looked too old fashioned and circusy like a fairground ride, so we reverted back to black shading.

Black shading isn't so obvious but it's still there and I think you see it even if you're not aware of it. Anyway I'm happy with how it turned out.

Darren Williams based in Northampton. Nice guy if anyone is looking for a signwriter and he travels reasonable distances.

I need to clean off the chalk and chinagraph pencil tomorrow.

IMG_20210531_101402.jpg

IMG_20210531_142732.jpg

IMG_20210531_142755.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I think you can call that a success!

The black shading is not really visible (at least on screen),  but there is definitely an added 'depth' to the letters, so it's done its job.

Next time (?), maybe paint the cabin side a shade lighter!

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've been waiting nearly a month for the rain to stop but this was finally done today. 

When he first started the shading me and the signwriter both said the black didn't stand out enough against the anthracite background so we agreed to do the shading in grey (lighter than the background colour). However he'd only done a few letters and I really didn't like it. It looked too old fashioned and circusy like a fairground ride, so we reverted back to black shading.

Black shading isn't so obvious but it's still there and I think you see it even if you're not aware of it. Anyway I'm happy with how it turned out.

Darren Williams based in Northampton. Nice guy if anyone is looking for a signwriter and he travels reasonable distances.

I need to clean off the chalk and chinagraph pencil tomorrow.

IMG_20210531_101402.jpg

IMG_20210531_142732.jpg

IMG_20210531_142755.jpg

Looks good