Signwriting

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've got a signwriter coming next month. This is the design I've given him. The font comes from a Google search and it's an American bar sign. I couldn't find the same font online so I just had to screenshot the picture. I've put the line drawing of the rose underneath.

The cabin sides are very dark grey and I've asked him to paint the font in light grey with black shadow and the rose line drawing will be in a darker grey.

I'm not completely convinced by the rose line drawing. He said he could use a thicker line, but if I don't have that does anyone have a better idea of what could go underneath instead or should I just have nothing?

IMG_20210420_195408.jpg

Edited by blackrose

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've got a signwriter coming next month. This is the design I've given him. The font comes from a Google search and it's an American bar sign. I couldn't find the same font online so I just had to screenshot the picture. I've put the line drawing of the rose underneath.

The cabin sides are very dark grey and I've asked him to paint the font in light grey with black shadow and the rose line drawing will be in a darker grey.

I'm not completely convinced by the rose line drawing. He said he could use a thicker line, but if I don't have that does anyone have a better idea of what could go underneath instead or should I just have nothing?

IMG_20210420_195408.jpg

The rose itself has to actually be black surely?

Not the stem but the petals/head?

I sympathise with you on this. We have just had our boat signwritten and spent ages going over fonts and decorative scrolls.

I really like the lettering, perhaps not traditional but very flowing and should look good on a boat not trying to mimic historical precedent. A simplified rose could look good, perhaps with the petals painted black and not overlapping the text. I wonder if your signwriter could offer some suggestions for the rose.

In the end, go for your gut instinct, this is one thing that is very personal to peoples perception and you could get diametrically opposing views.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Which would barely show up on a very dark grey cabin. You could always tell people it is there, but they can't see it. Our the sign writer could tell you its been done and charge you, but you can't see it! I do like the style for the name.

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Which would barely show up on a very dark grey cabin. You could always tell people it is there, but they can't see it. Our the sign writer could tell you its been done and charge you, but you can't see it! I do like the style for the name.

The petals could be outlined in a lighter/contrasting colour but infilled black.

As it is the rose looks like an after thought and will look like the signwriter forgot to finish it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

16 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The petals could be outlined in a lighter/contrasting colour but infilled black.

The rose shouldn't need to be infilled as the cabin sides are virtually black.

Screenshot_2021-04-20-20-44-59-018_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Edited by blackrose

It is signwriting, and if the rose is supposed to be the key, it has to make impact, therefore the introduction of a foreign colour to the boats armoury. The red will be slight, but impactive and allow the black and shading to stand out from the cabin.

111.jpg

Edited by matty40s

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

But is that a black rose, or is it a black & red rose? I will ask the signwriter what he thinks I should have.

What an utterly pointless thread.

You asked the forum for their opinions, got some, and then basically said 'Ill ask the signwriter anyway'.

Why not just ask them in the first place?

6 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You asked the forum for their opinions, got some, and then basically said 'Ill ask the signwriter anyway'.

Often a question is asked to firm up what you were planning to do anyway. If we got rid of all of those the whole of CWDF could be backed up on a 3.5" floppy disk! I like the idea of outlining the rose in a contrasting colour and red seems a good one.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Often a question is asked to firm up what you were planning to do anyway. If we got rid of all of those the whole of CWDF could be backed up on a 3.5" floppy disk! I like the idea of outlining the rose in a contrasting colour and red seems a good one.

True, but I just dont get the notion of so quickly didmissing ideas, there are not very many respondents so far.

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was always going to ask the signwriter for his opinion, but posting on here and also asking the signwriter what he thinks are not mutually exclusive. It's possible to do both! ?

If you think it a pointless thread to you then you have no obligation to participate. I'm really not sure why you're reacting so unfavourably?

5 hours ago, dave moore said:

Perhaps vinyl would be an alternative in this case?

I can't find that font in vinyl. I did try.

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Yes, or to get some different ideas. It doesn't mean you have to accept any of the ideas if you don't like them. 

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

True, but I just dont get the notion of so quickly didmissing ideas, there are not very many respondents so far.

If I had some ideas about how to paint your boat you might not like them and I'm sure you'd quickly dismiss them too. As the boat owner that's your prerogative.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

The font comes from a Google search and it's an American bar sign. I couldn't find the same font online so I just had to screenshot the picture.

post the same pic with your query on https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/

if it's a font and not hand drawn then usually you'll get an answer within a day. some very clever font nerds spotters on there ;) 

Black shading doesn't show up on dark green so no chance on your background.

I have just vinyled Loddon cream with black shading and from more than about 3ft away the shading is invisible against the green.

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

post the same pic with your query on https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/forum/

if it's a font and not hand drawn then usually you'll get an answer within a day. some very clever font nerds spotters on there ;) 

I sent the picture to a couple of vinyl decal suppliers but they weren't able to reproduce it. In their line of business I'd have thought they'd have been able to do what you're recommending rather than leaving it to the customer. I'd also have to arrange the lettering myself so it's easier just to get a signwriter in who says he can replicate the picture exactly. At £160/side it's not much more expensive than vinyl and I don't have to apply it myself.

Edited by blackrose

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I sent the picture to a couple of vinyl decal suppliers but they weren't able to reproduce it. In their line of business I'd have thought they'd have been able to do what you're recommending rather than leaving it to the customer. I'd also have to arrange the lettering myself so it's easier just to get a signwriter in who says he can replicate the picture exactly. At £160/side it's not much more expensive than vinyl and I don't have to apply it myself.

i’m assuming you’ve some idea of how many fonts there are out there? i’ve been involved with graphics/print/typography for over thirty years and i couldn’t tell you :D 

if you’re happy with the route you’ve chosen that’s great, i was just trying to help you find what you seemed to want finding ;) 

On 20/04/2021 at 20:21, The Happy Nomad said:

Not the stem but the petals/head?

On 20/04/2021 at 20:27, Jen-in-Wellies said:

On 20/04/2021 at 20:33, blackrose said:

It's a line drawing, so if it's painted in grey it will be the colour of the cabin sides which are very dark grey/black.

Or alternatively change the boat's name to "Dark Grey Rose", then there will be no need to paint the rose petals black... ??

Edited by cuthound
To remove a full stop masquerading as a space.

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

Sign makers have computers and plotters, but very few have any design skills, or an eye for aesthetics. They aren't going to want to spend ages trying work with their stock fonts to recreate your image. If you send them a piece of art-work, it can be scanned and reproduced, but that doesn't seem to be an option for you. Much better to employ a signwriter.  

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Sign makers have computers and plotters, but very few have any design skills, or an eye for aesthetics. They aren't going to want to spend ages trying work with their stock fonts to recreate your image. If you send them a piece of art-work, it can be scanned and reproduced, but that doesn't seem to be an option for you. Much better to employ a signwriter.  

exactly that, like comparing one of the staff at Greggs with a restaurant chef, both will feed you but only one will know how to make what you're eating