Oxford Canal Lock 15 Marston Doles Bottom Lock Closed UFN, Paddle broken

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Would it be logical that the other paddle was already broken hence the canal is closed?

I did wonder that but a pic on fb shows a drained pound so Im not quite sure what's gone on!

edited to add pics....I think CRT might have drained it to try and sort problem...but as you say wonder if it was running on one paddle

176145370_10217993145811213_2248810194546770814_n.jpg.37a2e0856066ce8ef045e5969431ef5a.jpg175688969_10217993146131221_3271929867060990391_n.jpg.56c8188d55f70e5b7c7665fb2ea1fd54.jpg

Edited by frangar
Add pics
  • Greenie 1

Ah, that looks like the actual blade of the paddle is out of bed. So there would be no way to empty the lock. It Is a structural failure.  How can you put the blame onto vandals or the weather though?

If I am correct, that is the lock next to the outfall of the backpump too. Or is that the top Doles ,lock?

Heck of a long difficult reverse to wind at Fenny Compton!

Edited by Tracy D'arth

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I thought that was normal level on the South Oxford.

It’s in preparation for CRT making it into a cycle path & jogging track.....any boats affected will be made into “features” and filled with wild flowers 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

That was a quick repair!

UFN used to mean "we really don't know as it's expensive and we can't even think about starting"** and was reserved for things like collapsed tunnels - it now means "we've only just heard about it - watch this space"

** Frank Price said of Blisworth "we haven't the money to repair it and we're not going to try..." or words to that effect