Shurflo Pump ?

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Found my water pump leaking.

Just seeping at the join.

Phoned somebody up regarding wether you could buy spares for them. Was just told that spares cost as much as a new pump. (?!)

Anyhow, guy told me most people just bought normal pumps as they were cheaper than marine pumps and were the same.

So what type of pump would you buy - a marine specific one or just a caravan one ?

9 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Found my water pump leaking.

Just seeping at the join.

Phoned somebody up regarding wether you could buy spares for them. Was just told that spares cost as much as a new pump. (?!)

Anyhow, guy told me most people just bought normal pumps as they were cheaper than marine pumps and were the same.

So what type of pump would you buy - a marine specific one or just a caravan one ?

Not too sure how you can easily get a 12 or 24V DC pump with inbuilt pressure switch unless its a so-called "marine" one. You might find a mains one.

He is right about buying new but I suspect he is wrong about non-marine ones unless it's a caravan pump and those are either the same brand and model as boat ones or horrible cheap things.

18 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

They often leak from the joint after they have been frozen, the plastic distorts.

Often they can be recovered by grinding the end part flat again on a flat surface with a sheet of emery or sandpaper.

Does that apply to the Jabsco Parmax as well?

I noticed mine leaking yesterday, so slight a leak it took an hour for a couple of drips to set off my leak alarm thst I mounted under it last year.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Does that apply to the Jabsco Parmax as well?

I noticed mine leaking yesterday, so slight a leak it took an hour for a couple of drips to set off my leak alarm thst I mounted under it last year.

In my experience yes but its always worth a try gently tightening the screws holding the plastic parts together. Take care they are only self tappers into plastic so strip easily.

• Greenie 1

If you want to try taking the pump head off and resealing it, Stixall is pretty good stuff.

Otherwise get rid of the Shurflo and replace with a Jabsco. Other pumps might leak, but Shurflo are notorious.

My Shurflo Aquaking lasted 4 years until the first leak. I bought a gasket & head replacement kit for around 25 quid I think but it only lasted another year until it started leaking again. I called Shurflo and spoke to someone who asked if I lived aboard and said the pumps were only intended for "occasional use" (so in other words they are cr@p).  I replaced the pump with a Jabsco parmax 3 and that was 11 years ago. 

Edited by blackrose

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you want to try taking the pump head off and resealing it, Stixall is pretty good stuff.

Otherwise get rid of the Shurflo and replace with a Jabsco. Other pumps might leak, but Shurflo are notorious.

My Shurflo Aquaking lasted 4 years until the first leak. I bought a gasket & head replacement kit for around 25 quid I think but it only lasted another year until it started leaking again. I called Shurflo and spoke to someone who asked if I lived aboard and said the pumps were only intended for "occasional use" (so in other words they are cr@p).  I replaced the pump with a Jabsco parmax 3 and that was 11 years ago. 

Sorry, I disagree. Yes, our pump has sprung leaks and needed repair three times in sixteen years. First leak was when we bought the boat. So I could say twice in sixteen years. We live aboard as well. I’m in a situation where I have to think, the devil you know etc.

An honest and serious question. What makes a Jabsco a better pump?

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

In my experience yes but its always worth a try gently tightening the screws holding the plastic parts together. Take care they are only self tappers into plastic so strip easily.

Thanks Tony, I have tightened the screws a fraction, and after 2 hours, there doesnt seem to be a leak, so fingers crossed.

I will try the same on my other leaking pump, that was replaced after a boatyard let it freeze a couple of years ago.

My opinion , Shurflo are now rubbish used to be good then production went to china and the quality turned to poo in a bucket . I went through 3 in 18 months until I gave up and paid a little extra for a Whale version and that is superb .. not missed a beat in 2 years and my whale gulper in the shower has been going strong for 13 years . I would spend about £20 more and get a whale over a shurflo any day from experience 

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Sorry, I disagree. Yes, our pump has sprung leaks and needed repair three times in sixteen years. First leak was when we bought the boat. So I could say twice in sixteen years. We live aboard as well. I’m in a situation where I have to think, the devil you know etc.

An honest and serious question. What makes a Jabsco a better pump?

You disagree? What are you basing that on? Have you owned both pumps? It sounds like you've managed to keep your Shurflo pump going and that's good, but that doesn't make it a good pump. I'm only telling the forum what Shurflo told me, that they weren't intended for liveaboard use. You can't disagree with that because that's what they told me.

Jabsco pumps are just better build quality. That's fairly well accepted by suppliers of both, and having owned both that's my view too. 

Talk to some suppliers if you don't believe me or others on this forum.

Edited by blackrose

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Sorry I'm not sure what it is I said you disagree with exactly?

Jabsco pumps are just better build quality. That's fairly well accepted by suppliers of both, and having owned both that's my view too.

have to agree an elastic band powered foot pump would be better than the modern Shurflo's , the original Aquaking lasted 8 years but that was not a chinese model since then garbage , I have not had a JAbsco pump but they seem to have a good rep with people I know 

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

You disagree? What are you basing that on? Have you owned both pumps? It sounds like you've managed to keep your Shurflo pump going and that's good, but that doesn't make it a good pump. I'm only telling the forum what Shurflo told me, that they weren't intended for liveaboard use. You can't disagree with that because that's what they told me.

Talk to some suppliers if you don't believe me or others on this forum.

I can, of course, disagree with what you have been told. We live aboard. My pump is a good pump but I feel I’m now tempting fate. I do agree that Shurflo pumps are not as good as they were. The pump I have is at least 16 years old and probably older.

18 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

My Aquaking says it was manufactured in 1997 !!

Maybe before the Chinese quality control ?!

definitely as said my original one lasted 10 years odd but subsequent ones lasted a matter of a few months at a time  

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on my second Jabsco Parmax. The first one lasted 4 years and then started leaking into the motor housing. From what I've heard it seems think water pumps are fast becoming disposable items.

Hunted everywhere for a service kit for the Jabsco and it seems they are unavailable.