Large water tank: where to stash it, what to make it out of

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, wakey_wake said:

Has anyone ever used electrolytic copper plating as an inner hull treatment, for integral water tank or otherwise?  The wave of a tape measure says 6 kilos would give me 0.1mm thickness, which is affordable in price of copper and probably plenty thick enough. The wave of GNU Units says, unless I've botched it, that 94 mol of copper can be plated with 200 amps in 25 hours, so it looks afford in time and electricity too.

I thought copper was a more noble metal than steel so the tiniest scratch or pin prick like where the copper had not coated the rust in the bottom of a rust pit would make steel the sacrificial material.

As long as its not inside ea water tank I would have thought a good abrade and de-rust as best you can then a couple of coats of Zinger or Galvafroid and then a normal paint system be it one  or two pack would probably outlast you.

I think Galvafroid used to say suitable for potable water but may not nowadays.

7 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Bladder tank made from inflatable boat material is an easy solution.  Mine was custom made by Hovercraft Consultants - don't know if they are still in business.  Can be installed inside an existing tank ideally.  It had a webbing loop at the top 4 corners so it could be suspended and held in place. 

But the integral tank still has to be de-rusted and painted and then insulated prior to installation of the bladder otherwise condensation will continue to corrode the steel. The OP has already said they don't want to do that job. 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

20 and still going, I know of a Steve Hudson one that failed after 2 years but that had a rattily old JP3 in it, remember that one @Loddon 

Still had the rattily JP in it when he sold it.

It was, despite the owners protestations,  a "Friday Afternoon" boat as far as the JP and tank were concerned. ?

Great paint job ?

4 hours ago, wakey_wake said:

I know some aren't fussed but I would rather not trust any plastic, especially epoxy or bitumen, for my drinking water.

Potable materials and coatings are potable as long as they're certified as such. If you don't "trust"  plastic what do you think the pipework at lots of moorings are made of? What sort of pipework do you have in your boat what sort of hose are you going to use to fill your tanks?

It's not that some aren't fussed. It's that some follow the science, understand technology and are sensible.

But you carry on and do what you think is best by all means...

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Electroplated?

YES - I had to nag a bit but Phil found an outfit that could do it.

Easy to check - hot dip looks like paint (it's a coating)

Electro galvanising has a crystaline figuring on the surface.

Electroplated inside and out? Blast cleaned inside and out before plating? And you are sure the plating fully covered all the seams and welds?  I find it hard to believe you got a more robust zinc coating on the steel that hot dip galvanising which is the standard way of treating all sorts of fabricated steel assemblies of all sizes. Options like electroplating are normally reserved for small items like fasteners.