Rust repair

Featured Posts

The two brass T-bars/cleats on the bow of our canal boat have caused bimetallic corrosion as there is no isolation between the hull and brass fitting.

The plan is to remove the two brass cleats as these are superfluous, remove the rust and fill the bolt holes. Then prime and paint the exposed metal.

I have been recommended to paint using non-slip paint, but I think this would work well if the whole section of the raised bow (as indicated on one of the two attached photos) would look better, as matching the paint will be difficult to achieve and a small square around the repair would look awful. Also, stick-on non-slip mats can cause rust, I understand.

Does anyone have any recommendations on products, method and/or an example of what it could look like?

20210417_155853.jpg

20210417_155854.jpg

6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Interesting thread, what is the best way to stop bimetallic corrosion when you have brass fittings on a steel boat?  a thin rubber separator or similar?

I would have thought that the paint would normally separate the two metals.

The screws/bolts would be the problem area.