Scratch Removal

Porcupine

Featured Posts

Depends upon a few circumstances.

Age of paint work.

Whether paint has been lacquered with a top coat.

How deep the scratch is.

Our boat has had a top lacquer coat, for minor scratches I have used Farecla with a modicum of success.

Deep and shallow ones you have to accept as part and parcel of boating.

Best car scratch removers 2021 - Which?

Edited by Ray T

Be careful which scratches you remove - years ago good friends lent us their boat for a week to be picked up by them further up the cut. The day before handover we got too close to a tree and heard the awful scratching noise all down one side. We finally moored up and there was the horrific evidence for all to see so OH set too that evening with TCut that was luckily on board. The next day, our friends met us as arranged and we could see Bill looking intently at the side of his boat. We held our breath. "That's strange" he said "I'm sure there was a long scratch down this side".

Edited by wandering snail
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

I too have used Farecla G3 with some success.

The formula for TCut seems to have changed and I found the new stuff tends to "ball" and leave little scratches on the soft paint typically found on boats, rather thsn cars.

Farecla G3 is good, Farecla G10 is equally good but less aggressive.

Use G3 (or G10 for lesser scratches) and a sander polisher at lowish speed with a firm mop and follow up with a car polish (Autoglym or similar )   and the softest mop.

Toolstation and Screwfix sell the mops.

N

<pedant>Since a scratch is where paint has been removed, all the polishing suggestions people have made are just removing more paint around it so all the paint is at the same level. They are answering the question - how do I make the scratch big enough so no one can see it any more? </pedant>

?