Hatton flight

umpire111

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Why would you stay near the cafe. Rude and highly offensive place.

It was better as a sanitary station. Certainly more usefull.

Hi Roland. I'm surprised you say that - the people who run the cafe are very nice and do excellent food.

It's very popular so obviously a lot of other people think so too.

On 20/04/2021 at 01:19, dixi188 said:

Going up or down Hatton with another boat, I find the best way is to rope the two boats together then you only need one steerer and it's quicker between locks. Same at Stockton.

Some folk worry about it until they try it.

Can't do that on Caen Hill on the K&A though as the gates are too narrow.

I managed Caen Hill tied to another boat, but that was back in 2001.

21 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Hi Roland. I'm surprised you say that - the people who run the cafe are very nice and do excellent food.

It's very popular so obviously a lot of other people think so too.

Not our experience nor disabled friends of ours on an independent of us visit a few years ago.

’ Are you blind when asking where the toilets are’     well yes actually.

And then you have to buy something before you can use them.

He had nipped in to check if he could get her wheelchair inside, before unloading it.

with us it was abuse for daring to use the towpath for its use, before the cafe was even open, as their carp was spread everywhere.

20 hours ago, cuthound said:

I managed Caen Hill tied to another boat, but that was back in 2001.

About 7 years ago we were prevented from going down Caen Hill because a boat had damaged one of the bottom gates. It was going to be a lengthy fix (IIRC they ended up using a gate built for another lock) and so we turned around. I understood at the time it was because a pair, breasted up, tried to exit the lock downhill with the steerer forgetting that they were tied together and that only one gate was open. They powered out so hard as to severely damage the lock. Reading this thread I now wonder whether it was in fact due to a slightly too narrow lock?

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

About 7 years ago we were prevented from going down Caen Hill because a boat had damaged one of the bottom gates. It was going to be a lengthy fix (IIRC they ended up using a gate built for another lock) and so we turned around. I understood at the time it was because a pair, breasted up, tried to exit the lock downhill with the steerer forgetting that they were tied together and that only one gate was open. They powered out so hard as to severely damage the lock. Reading this thread I now wonder whether it was in fact due to a slightly too narrow lock?

Not if they were a full length pair. There simply isn't the distance to build up any speed before you would hit the gate. A bit more believable perhaps if both boats were only about 40 ft long.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not if they were a full length pair. There simply isn't the distance to build up any speed before you would hit the gate. A bit more believable perhaps if both boats were only about 40 ft long.

You can't take a full length pair down the Devizes flight as the locks are too short to be able to open the bottom gates  ?

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

You can't take a full length pair down the Devizes flight as the locks are too short to be able to open the bottom gates  ?

I know. Some years ago I did the eastern half of the K&A (but not the Devizes flight) with boats 71ft 6 and 68ft long. The only way out of the bottom gates was for the shorter boat to leave first through one gate, then push the bows of the longer boat across, which would just clear the closed gate.

Edited by David Mack

18 hours ago, David Mack said:

I know. Some years ago I did the eastern half of the K&A (but not the Devizes flight) with boats 71ft 6 and 68ft long. The only way out of the bottom gates was for the shorter boat to leave first through one gate, then push the bows of the longer boat across, which would just clear the closed gate.

Just like with a 60ft on the Calder and Hebble!