Thinking ahead

Detling

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

I am thinking of next winter staying in either Sawley or Shardlow marina. Has anyone been in either and can tell me the ins and outs. I will not be living aboard so boat parked and visited a couple of times Covid permitting. 

Sawley does flood (deep flooding) and as the pontoons are fixed (not floating) it can make for interesting times.

The car park and the pontoons  Feb 2020

SawleyGates

RedMarker2020

In 2000 when the water was released from the Derwent Reservoir in the floods, it topped three feet over the jetties, and everyone was evacuated, though nowhere near the number of residents as at present. 

1 hour ago, Detling said:

I am thinking of next winter staying in either Sawley or Shardlow marina. Has anyone been in either and can tell me the ins and outs. I will not be living aboard so boat parked and visited a couple of times Covid permitting. 

Why not take a winter mooring at Sileby Mill Boatyard on the Soar? The owner lives on site and when the river is in flood checks the boats regularly. We sre there and never have any problems. The lane to the yard does flood at least once a year. The other advantage is that theres diesel, pump out, electricty and a good chandlery on site. Its a working yard so a bit rough round the edges but safe and secure.

17 minutes ago, Ally said:

Shardlow main marina does have floating pontoons, so it's only the fixed section going to the land that goes under in flood.

But there are boat moorings on the fixed pontoon (walkways) as shown in the photo.

Once the water level rises and the boats lines are tight, they can tip.

It is not a marina I'd wanting to be using in these times of extreme weather episodes.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there are boat moorings on the fixed pontoon (walkways) as shown in the photo.

Once the water level rises and the boats lines are tight, they can tip.

It is not a marina I'd wanting to be using in these times of extreme weather episodes.

I thought the photos you posted were of Sawley, not Shardlow?

53 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I think that Shardlow is one of those marinas where you don't need a CRT licence when you're moored in it. So you could cash in your licence and renew it when you're ready to leave.

That was certainly correct when we moored there.