Repairs on stort or Lee

Neil Smith

Featured Posts

Hi all,

my boat is on the river stort and I need some work doing, now thruster hasn't worked for a couple of years but not really needed it, thought I would have a look yesterday so unscrewed the sealed down plate on front deck and had was horrified to find water over the top of the battery and halfway up the bow thruster, has been leaking around the plate, I need someone to weld an upstanding around it and the cover modified to fit so it's waterproof, then sort out the thruster, any ideas where to go locally please?

2 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Hi all,

my boat is on the river stort and I need some work doing, now thruster hasn't worked for a couple of years but not really needed it, thought I would have a look yesterday so unscrewed the sealed down plate on front deck and had was horrified to find water over the top of the battery and halfway up the bow thruster, has been leaking around the plate, I need someone to weld an upstanding around it and the cover modified to fit so it's waterproof, then sort out the thruster, any ideas where to go locally please?

Try Kecksey's farm Sawbridgeworth, they have a good welder there called Andy.

9 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Thanks Biz,

Im at sawbridgeworth island moorings, have you got Andys phone no please.

I'm afraid not, but if you walk up the towpath, they're about 1/4 mile above Sawbridgeworth lock by the railway bridge, west side. Or drive there, entrance off the B1303 London Rd, watch out for a tiny wonkey sign Keckseys farm.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I'm afraid not, but if you walk up the towpath, they're about 1/4 mile above Sawbridgeworth lock by the railway bridge, west side. Or drive there, entrance off the B1303 London Rd, watch out for a tiny wonkey sign Keckseys farm.

We are going to Stortford on monday can we moor there so he can have a look?

16 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

We are going to Stortford on monday can we moor there so he can have a look?

Moor where, Keckseys farm? or here at Stortford boats lock 1 ?  You'll probably have to tie up to the towpath opposite Kecksies or accross their slipway. Here we are chocka, no mooring whithout blocking our fairway in the backwater, can moor opposite though on the towpath.

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Moor where, Keckseys farm? or here at Stortford boats lock 1 ?  You'll probably have to tie up to the towpath opposite Kecksies or accross their slipway. Here we are chocka, no mooring whithout blocking our fairway in the backwater, can moor opposite though on the towpath.

Sorry meant at keckseys, i will call in on way to Stortford, we are aiming to stay overnight at Stortford, can you recommend any good real ale pubs that will be open, outside obviously.

16 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

Sorry meant at keckseys, i will call in on way to Stortford, we are aiming to stay overnight at Stortford, can you recommend any good real ale pubs that will be open, outside obviously.

Not sure who's open.  There's the Rose and Crown by the sanitory station, Wetherspoons at Jackson Square, Half Moon in the high st.  Aldi a short walk up from the sanitory station to buy your own. :) Or there's the Three Horse Shoes at Spelbrook on the way up.

Edited by bizzard

39 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Not sure who's open.  There's the Rose and Crown by the sanitory station, Wetherspoons at Jackson Square, Half Moon in the high st.  Aldi a short walk up from the sanitory station to buy your own. :) Or there's the Three Horse Shoes at Spelbrook on the way up.

cheers mate.

7 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Hi all,

Are you sure the top plate seal is leaking?

If I don't ventilate my bow thruster compartment over winter I can get up to 15 litres of condensation in there each winter.

Having discovered this I now leave the BT compartment open (under the cratch) every winter and since doing this have had zero condensation in there.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers

35 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Are you sure the top plate seal is leaking?

If I don't ventilate my bow thruster compartment over winter I can get up to 15 litres of condensation in there each winter.

Having discovered this I now leave the BT compartment open (under the cratch) every winter and since doing this have had zero condensation in there.

Not 100% but when i had a bss 3 years ago i cant remember sealing it down again and cratch cover has been off for a year now.