Tech person needed

Ange

Featured Posts

Ok we lost Rich our tech guy. I didn't blame him, he was up till after midnight some nights sorting out the forum..

We lost him because he was attacked and got fed up with spending his nights looking after the forum and being attacked.

Ok will Rich come back? The boilerman is gone. 

3 minutes ago, Ange said:

Ok we lost Rich our tech guy. I didn't blame him, he was up till after midnight some nights sorting out the forum..

We lost him because he was attacked and got fed up with spending his nights looking after the forum and being attacked.

Ok will Rich come back? The boilerman is gone. 

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Would it not be better all round to lose the attackers rather than Rich who so generously gave his time? 

It would but who attacked him?

25 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Thought we got a replacement.. who is doing the tech stuff then?

No I dont think so.

@RichM carries on when things go badly wrong is my understanding.

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No I dont think so.

@RichM carries on when things go badly wrong is my understanding.

That's my understanding too. It'd be good if Rich would come back, but I so understand why he walked away.

My concern is that the recent attacks show his replacement is needed. 

4 hours ago, Ange said:

That's my understanding too. It'd be good if Rich would come back, but I so understand why he walked away.

My concern is that the recent attacks show his replacement is needed. 

I must admit I don't remember any attacks, just all-round gratitude when he fixed something.   Perhaps they were by PM, but if so how do you know about them?  Anyway, as someone else has said, if attackers can be identified they should be banned forthwith.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

They should have been instantly banned when it happened, if they could be identified.

It's not always that easy. Back when I was a mod I had a running battle with a group of people who continually changed their login names (at any one time they had about 4 names each) and had dynamic IP addresses that changed every time they logged on. Identifying and banning them was a major challenge.

2 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It's not always that easy. Back when I was a mod I had a running battle with a group of people who continually changed their login names (at any one time they had about 4 names each) and had dynamic IP addresses that changed every time they logged on. Identifying and banning them was a major challenge.

Perhaps then I should have said something along the lines of the forum should be much swifter and harsher when dealing with "attacks".

I'm new here and don't know who the mods or admin(s) are apart from a couple whose posts I happen to have noticed. What I do know from previously being an admin on a different forum a few years ago is that most people have little idea how much work is sometimes required to keep things running smoothly. But they are quick to complain when there's a problem. Which let's face it is little more than a first world minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. It's a thankless task being a mod or admin. I wouldn't do it again. So from a newbie I raise my glass to you. Cheers guys.

• Greenie 4

13 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I'm new here and don't know who the mods or admin(s) are apart from a couple whose posts I happen to have noticed. What I do know from previously being an admin on a different forum a few years ago is that most people have little idea how much work is sometimes required to keep things running smoothly. But they are quick to complain when there's a problem. Which let's face it is little more than a first world minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. It's a thankless task being a mod or admin. I wouldn't do it again. So from a newbie I raise my glass to you. Cheers guys.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/staff/

17 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I've been admin for several sites with forums and still have a couple to look after but they don't have forums, it's a lot of work to keep things going I was lucky with last one I was admin for that has a forum because the company that built the site for us did all the updates and fixes on a maintenance package.

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't believe some of the comments we get about canalplan when we have problems, so I fully empathise with him. I get it day in and day out at work from people who should know better.

Hope you find someone... and no I'm not volunteering ?

• Greenie 1