Oxford vs Grand Union

vanboosh

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Back in the 80's I had an ex- submariner working for my team. He was an alcoholic and used to disappear at odd times of the day and night and come back smelling of drink. When questioned he told me this.

Having been out drinking plenty of times with submariners they have an in built ability to find a drinking establishment anywhere, anytime.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Having been out drinking plenty of times with submariners they have an in built ability to find a drinking establishment anywhere, anytime.

Although I've only met 1 I've always thought anyone who volunteers for submarines is "touched"

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

Back in the 80's I had an ex- submariner working for my team. He was an alcoholic and used to disappear at odd times of the day and night and come back smelling of drink. When questioned he told me this.

It might well depend on a difference between formal and actual opening times! The McWhirters would have to take the official opening hours but local drinkers may have known that stuff was available on a more flexible basis - or is that just another urban myth?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

It might well depend on a difference between formal and actual opening times! The McWhirters would have to take the official opening hours but local drinkers may have known that stuff was available on a more flexible basis - or is that just another urban myth?

No, I think it's quite correct. They had to go by official licensing hours, rather than the more ad hoc knock-twice-and-ask-for-Sid arrangements.