Curtain poles /rods and fittings

Featured Posts

If you are looking for solid brass bar and turned fittings, they do cost. Avoid brass plated tube, its rubbish.

I found the best offer was Thorne Marine in Warrington, despite them buying in from Aquafax, there discount beat all others' prices to me.

• Greenie 2

We bought some cheaper ones from Wilkes, and they didn't last 2 years before they tarnished really badly, for whatever reason. In this instance I'm sure I got what I paid for ?

They are now replaced with normal curtain track, hiding the track with a pelmet - having the pelmet has cut down drafts quite a bit.

• Greenie 1

For curtains over our portholes, I bought brass coloured plastic rods for a few pounds. I really don't notice the difference day to day and of course they never need polishing.  

They may look more obviously 'fake' on the larger windows. 

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Autosol looks similar to Peek which is what I use and get good results with. Whatever you use it's the amount of 'elbow grease' you use which really brings the results.

The problem is that many so called brass fittings aren't actually real brass despite them saying so. It's either fake or with a coating of some kind of a brass like substance.

• Greenie 1

I used dowel, treated with the same wood treatment as the cabin side. Brass plated cup brackets can be bought quite cheaply. If you don't want brass, they are available in many powder coated colours. Have a look at wardrobe fittings as well as curtains. Clothes rods look very similar to curtain poles.

• Greenie 1