Retro-fitting glass windows in steel side hatches

Featured Posts

We are thinking about doing this; I know quite a few people have done this but when I want to know more I can’t find any examples. 
I’d just like a bit more info on how it was done - and how tricky a job. At the moment we have flat 4mm steel doors, unlined. 

8 hours ago, dmr said:

So you want to keep the side hatch but add internal glazing to keep the wind out? or remove the doors and just have a window??????

...............Dave

Keep the side hatches, cut out the centres and replace with fixed glazing. So yes, it effectively becomes a window but one that can be completely opened. 
On previous boats we’ve just used removable pieces of Perspex but I’m running out of places to stow them on this one so this could be an option. 

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have had a friend who has done this, they are on Facebook if you want me to put you in touch. Personally I don't like the look of them

I don’t particularly like the look of them either but as it’s an under-cloth conversion when the boat’s closed up the canvas will hide them. The sheet of Perspex has worked for us before but these are big hatches so awkwardly big Perspex.

Yes I’d like to see how your friends did it. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, dmr said:

So you want to keep the side hatch but add internal glazing to keep the wind out? or remove the doors and just have a window??????

...............Dave

I suspect neither, I think he wants a glazed ‘hole’ in the side hatch door.  In which case cut the hole and bond in using automotive pu adhesive system.  Probably needs a glass primer.

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why can't you fit normal boat windows? Probably need to get them made to order due to the small size.

And how do you get on with unlined steel doors? Don't they end up dripping with condensation in cold weather?

I think it ought to be cheaper and easier to cut holes in the hatches. (They’re unlined because I’m still doing the fit out   so it’s empty - and cold! inside.)

4 hours ago, starman said:

I think it ought to be cheaper and easier to cut holes in the hatches.

No I mean cut a hole in each side hatch door and fit an appropriately sized window frame in the hole. As is often done for front doors, although the windows will probably be smaller.

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No I mean cut a hole in each side hatch door and fit an appropriately sized window frame in the hole. As is often done for front doors, although the windows will probably be smaller.

Sorry misunderstood. I guess what you’re suggesting is what I was wanting to do. Maybe it is as simple as the way you put it but I’d be interested to get first hand experiences. 

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Sounds like an ideal access point for thieves to me. Have you thought about how you're going to lock the side hatches? Most locking systems on side hatches will be able to be opened simply by breaking the glass and reaching in.

It's different to a boat window because most thieves are reluctant to actually enter though broken glass, but if they can simply smash a small window and then open a hatch they'll do it. Bow doors with windows are a favourite access point for thieves, however many are fitted with mortice locks so they're still not easy to enter. They can't just be opened even if a window is broken.

It's difficult to fit a mortice lock to a side hatch. There might be some other suitable lock, but you don't want padlocks.

The easiest way is to just cut a hole in the centre leaving about 2.5” around the edge of hole to edge of hatch. Bond in a piece of toughened glass straight onto the steel about .5” in from cut edge. Then line with wood from glass edge to outer edge of hatch and add some beading around center to hide the glass .5” bond.

or you could recess the inner edge of the surround wood the same thickness of the glass to cover glass edge and not use beading. It’s fairly easy just like how a lot of builders do glazed front doors. Hope it makes sense.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth