Accumulator tank pressure

Kalapattar

Featured Posts

Accumulator tank pressure should be set to 3 or 4 psi (about 0.25 bar) below the water pump cut-in pressure. This must be done with the pump switched off and a couple of taps open.

The cut-in pressure should be shown on the pump. 

Edited by blackrose

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Accumulator tank pressure should be set to 3 or 4 psi (about 0.25 bar) below the water pump cut-in pressure. This must be done with the pump switched off and a couple of taps open.

Ok thanks!

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks!

Ok! I pumped up accumulator tank but pump was on and off every couple of seconds, so I assume too much pressure! I released some pressure and pump on and off every 15 seconds now

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect it's the cut-out pressure that is more likely to be shown on the pump but the cut-in pressure is typically about half the cut-out pressure and near enough for an accumulator.

Ok, yes it does state cut out pressure at 40psi 2.7b Max 

Edited by Kalapattar

35 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Ok! I pumped up accumulator tank but pump was on and off every couple of seconds, so I assume too much pressure! I released some pressure and pump on and off every 15 seconds now

Ok, yes it does state cut out pressure at 40psi 2.7b Max 

That sounds far more like the maximum pressure the pump can produce, not the actual cut out pressure. I am not sure if  the 2.9 in the pump name is PSI or water, deliver litres per seconds gallons/min.

Are you saying with the taps closed and pump on it keeps going on and off every 15 seconds or is that with a tap open? 

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

For ease do as @Tracy D'arth advises. Blow it up to say 3.5 bar in your case. Turn pump on with the taps off, when the pump stops slowly let the air out until the pump starts again. Thats it.

Trying to measure the air pressure in the accumulator with a tyre pressure gauge is a waste of effort. Every time you press it on or take it off you will release some pressure and as the accumulator holds very little it will produce an unmeasurable drop in pressure.

If the pump is still coming on with the taps all closed either you have a leak or the pump is faulty or the PRV is dumping due to excessive pump pressure or faulty/incorrect rating.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

That sounds far more like the maximum pressure the pump can produce, not the actual cut out pressure. I am not sure if  the 2.9 in the pump name is PSI or water, deliver litres per seconds gallons/min.

Are you saying with the taps closed and pump on it keeps going on and off every 15 seconds or is that with a tap open? 

Hi! Every 15 seconds with cold tap open!

2.9 gallons per minute 

When hot tap is open the pump is on constantly but hot water unit sometimes sounds like there’s not enough water going through it

4 minutes ago, Kalapattar said:

Hi! Every 15 seconds with cold tap open!

2.9 gallons per minute 

When hot tap is open the pump is on constantly but hot water unit sometimes sounds like there’s not enough water going through it

"Hot water unit"?  You may or may not have told us about your system in the past but yo really should make it easy for other to give help. Would this "hot water unit" be an instant gas water heater? If so remember there is usually some restriction of flow through it and they can make the kettling sound as they heat water. However, that restriction would tend to make the pump cycle more than the cold tap.

Have you tried other cold taps? Could it have a10mm feed pipe?  Is the tap outlet furred up? Is there a partially closed service vale on the pipe? Is there a flexible tap connector that is looped round and flattened itself. Any of those could restrict the flow from the cold tap so the pump cycles more.

Personally I would not worry about cycling with the tap open as long as it does not run between uses.

The OP has already told us he has a Morco  instantaneous heater. With the hot tap on, the pump is working as I would expect it to. Charging up the accumulator and closing taps and releasing pressure as already described is the easiest way to get within bounds.

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

The OP has already told us he has a Morco  instantaneous heater. With the hot tap on, the pump is working as I would expect it to. Charging up the accumulator and closing taps and releasing pressure as already described is the easiest way to get within bounds.

Where in this topic does he confirm that or do you and he expect everyone to remember the details of your boats from past topics? I think its a bit rude to assume everyone will remember what you posted in the past, even if its only a few days ago.

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It is if you don't have a pressure gauge. The higher pressure is not important as long as it's above the cut in pressure so a guess is fine.

How can the OP set the accumulator to 3.5 bar as you originally advised if he doesn't have a pressure gauge?

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks!

Where in this topic does he confirm that or do you and he expect everyone to remember the details of your boats from past topics? I think its a bit rude to assume everyone will remember what you posted in the past, even if its only a few days ago.

Hi! I couldn’t find original topic! Sorry!

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

"Hot water unit"?  You may or may not have told us about your system in the past but yo really should make it easy for other to give help. Would this "hot water unit" be an instant gas water heater? If so remember there is usually some restriction of flow through it and they can make the kettling sound as they heat water. However, that restriction would tend to make the pump cycle more than the cold tap.

Have you tried other cold taps? Could it have a10mm feed pipe?  Is the tap outlet furred up? Is there a partially closed service vale on the pipe? Is there a flexible tap connector that is looped round and flattened itself. Any of those could restrict the flow from the cold tap so the pump cycles more.

Personally I would not worry about cycling with the tap open as long as it does not run between uses.

InS

Instant gas heater yes! Morco Eco 6 ltrs pm

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Hi! I’m going to look at the water tank itself!

Water flows from it but could be restricted 

On 16/04/2021 at 20:09, Tony Brooks said:

Sorry Tony, no offence intended. I was perhaps a little exasperated between this and another post from the OP running concurrently about gas water heaters.

My accumulator is home made, a small blown up balloon inside a champagne bottle with a tee piece Araldited into the neck. I got through a few ballons blown up before I got the right pressure though and bought more champagne, or rather cheap bubbly because of the Tee piece Araldited into the necks I couldn't keep using the same bottle. I seemed to get quite tipsy during the experiment. In the end the whole excercise cost me far more than buying an accumulator. But it was a very interesting performance and I've since been collecting more and more strongly made bottles in case the ballon goes off pop. I also saved some small balloons from Christmas time too to go with them. It works lovely.

• Unimpressed 1

10 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Sorry Tony, no offence intended. I was perhaps a little exasperated between this and another post from the OP running concurrently about gas water heaters.

It was not my intention to have a pop at you but you made it easy to point out, mainly for the benefit of the increasing number of newish questioners who seem to think that those trying to help them have nothing better to do with their time than trawl through any previous topics to find out what, in my view, should be in the topic. I goes along with those who refuse to reply to questions that need answering so they can be given good advice.

Both seems to be increasing - or I am getting too old and grumpy for the forum.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Both seems to be increasing - or I am getting too old and grumpy for the forum.

Both. Never mind, carry on.

But you're right, its unreasonable to expect us to know previous posts, I don't even look at the names.

• Greenie 1