Generator built-in

manu

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Bee said:

Petrol in the boat is not a good idea. At all. 

Technically neither is gas but most of us manage. 

There are thousands of boats all over the world with petrol engines, both outboard & inboard. Diesel is obviously safer but people get by.

Just like having LPG onboard, if you have a dedicated locker for petrol storage with overboard venting and follow some simple precautions then it's not such a bad idea.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

Technically neither is gas but most of us manage. 

There are thousands of boats all over the world with petrol engines, both outboard & inboard. Diesel is obviously safer but people get by.

Just like having LPG onboard, if you have a dedicated locker for petrol storage with overboard venting and follow some simple precautions then it's not such a bad idea.

Exactly..

A small amount (10 ltrs) of Petrol stored in my Gas Locker works for me and I would imagine many others.

Although when undergoing a BSS Survey it is easier to put the Generator and everything else in the car or onto another boat.

1 minute ago, MarkH2159 said:

Although when undergoing a BSS Survey it is easier to put the Generator and everything else in the car or onto another boat.

So, a bit like borrowing one of your mates car wheels when having your MOT and one of your tyres is a 'bit borderline'.

Dishonest.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

So, a bit like borrowing one of your mates car wheels when having your MOT and one of your tyres is a 'bit borderline'.

Dishonest.

Not exactly.

I did say 'easier' that is all.

As for the survey or MOT relevance, I believe it is for permanently 'fitted' equipment and systems.

A portable/suitcase generator is not part of the boats permanently fitted equipment.

As a Marine Surveyor I have often advised that if possible certain equipment be removed from the vessel to avoid complications. Whether the operator puts it back on after I have gone is another matter.

1 hour ago, MarkH2159 said:

As a Marine Surveyor I have often advised that if possible certain equipment be removed from the vessel to avoid complications. Whether the operator puts it back on after I have gone is another matter.

I'm afraid that that statement, in my eyes, further reduces the value of the BSSC.

We did have a BSS examiner who used to frequent our marina who was not Gas safe Registered and told any liveaboard boaters to go and visit friends or do their shopping so that 'he didn't know they were liveaboards', and that is despite the instructions clearly stating :

To avoid falling foul of UK law and avoiding criminal prosecution they need to find out whether the boat's use will mean they (the examiner) should not carry out a tightness-test using a manometer.  They may ask the following questions, just for their own personal record:

• Is the boat hired out in the course of a business?
  • Is the boat used primarily by anyone for domestic or residential purposes (In this matter, it makes no difference to if the boat is owner-occupied or rented-out)?
  • Are people invited on board the boat in the course of a business, e.g. is it a café or shop?

Even if the answer to all the questions above is 'no', the examiner is advised to make a brief record that he or she has asked the questions and received the negative answers. This information will not be shared with BSS Office or other parties unless there is an investigation linked to gas testing by the examiner.

1 hour ago, MarkH2159 said:

As for the survey or MOT relevance, I believe it is for permanently 'fitted' equipment and systems.

Are you a BSS Examiner ?

I cannot find anywhere in the BSS documentation stating that it only applies to permanetly fixed items, in fact there is a specific section for portable (LPG) items.

Section 7:10 would certainly appear to apply to 'portable appliances'.

7:10:1 Are all portable appliance connection points provided with an isolation valve?

7.10.2 Are portable appliance hoses connected with bayonet, plug or screwed fittings, complete and in good condition?

7.10.3 Are all unused screwed portable appliance connection points properly capped or plugged?

After reporting 3 BSS examiners for 'inventing rules' and not following the guidelines, and being told "we will give them more training" I already have a dim view of the BSS, and your posts just further reinforce my feelings.

2 hours ago, MarkH2159 said:

As a Marine Surveyor I have often advised that if possible certain equipment be removed from the vessel to avoid complications. Whether the operator puts it back on after I have gone is another matter

Would this be before you did the survey, or as a result of a survey you had just completed?

If before, the survey would not be of the boat in an 'as used' condition, which rather undermines the value of the survey?

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Col_T said:

Would this be before you did the survey, or as a result of a survey you had just completed?

If before, the survey would not be of the boat in an 'as used' condition, which rather undermines the value of the survey?

I do not survey boats, but over the years I have done many ships and other vessels of all types and sizes including Oil Rigs etc.

As always the scope of the survey is fixed by the certifying authority, however there is an allowance for the discretion of the surveyor.

I am not talking about anything that presents a danger to life or safety of operations, but more like extra equipment that does not need to be aboard as a part of the vessel certification requirements.

It is a bit like a car, an example is...fog or auxiliary lights do not have to be fitted but if they are then they must be working correctly.

Now...was this post originally about auxiliary power options??

Edited by MarkH2159
Back on trck

Re above post re installing gas mobile portable generator, this should and would not pass a Bbsc, not only that, insurance company could void your insurance.

I know this because I made the enquiry few years back on this forum, resulting in the chief bbsc email me his findings which I posted I think.

clue is in the portable generator, and instalation manual..

isn’t every thing all to do with safety?, if you bend the rules just to get a pass, you shouldn’t own a boat surely?

col

Edited by bigcol

Down side of gen set is having to store petrol on the boat no a good idea. I have a travel pack alternator just the job for all things 240 volts when cruising or charging batteries which have their own modern 90 amp alternator which at 1100 rpm gives 80 amps if batteries down at 50% or less. Guy who installed it fits a smaller pulley wheel then supplied so alt runs faster at lower eng rpm. Works very well.