Boat Tracker

andybarrett1

Featured Posts

The best tracker I have found is the Automile unit as available on Amazon.

Last month it was available at £49.99 including the 12 month data subscrition to 4G LTE networks.

Unfortunately for some reason it is now priced at £129 for the same package.

I am glad I got mine when I did.

As for answering the other questions....

Siting of unit with a view of the sky is difficult but not impossible - In or under cratch cover works.

Power consumption is minimal as low as 0.1 mah when it is in sleep mode, it awakes on movement or power interruption.

Internal battery can last up to a year depending on time set of interrogations.

It is easy to set up and I am fortunate to have a seperate battery to power it which also has a small solar panel trickle charging.

The unit works very well and can be set to give updates at 1 minute intervals or various other options up to 12 hours apart.

It reports its position directly in Google Maps so it is easy to see exactly where it is.

There are numerous settings for alerts, via sms, email etc and geo fencing can be set up to limit the areas of movement.

Edited by MarkH2159
more info

7 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

Hi 

Thank you for reading I wonder if anyone here has any experience of these or similar :-

Sinorack Car GPS Tracker

Just thinking about fitting one and wonderered if anyone has same or similar 

Thank you again

Andy

I have one of these on the lumpy water boat: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System-Model-TK103A/dp/B003XDN58K/

It is hard wired to the 12v system. It requires a sim card - I use a giffgaff sim. Instructions translated into English from gobbledegook but it's not too hard to figure out. I can text a code to the tracker and it will text me back with battery voltage and a google maps link to the location. Can also be set up to send a text if the boat moves outside a pre-defined radius. For the price it's a good bit of kit.

1 hour ago, Jackofalltrades said:

I have one of these on the lumpy water boat: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System-Model-TK103A/dp/B003XDN58K/

It is hard wired to the 12v system. It requires a sim card - I use a giffgaff sim. Instructions translated into English from gobbledegook but it's not too hard to figure out. I can text a code to the tracker and it will text me back with battery voltage and a google maps link to the location. Can also be set up to send a text if the boat moves outside a pre-defined radius. For the price it's a good bit of kit.

Looks good for not much money :) 

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

46 minutes ago, Samp94 said:

I've got a sky tag tracker in mine  from an old land rover I had, they have a manned control room, so if your vehicle gets stolen they track it and liaise direct with the local police Force

Sooo if your boat gets nicked they will tell the local Police to look out for a Land Rover, reg no xyz, travelling along the local canal:huh:

• Haha 1

Great item on the news tonight. Some sh!tbags nicked a £250k Bentley in London and shipped it to Pakistan. 

Trouble is (for them), the tracker in it meant Plod tracked it down and got it back! I rather doubt they nicked the thieves though.

7 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Sooo if your boat gets nicked they will tell the local Police to look out for a Land Rover, reg no xyz, travelling along the local canal:huh:

Haha, not quite. 

They know the crt number, name and have a photo of it.. Its even down on the live tracking marker is a little boat

Some routers have a built in GPS reciever, and just need a cheap £5 external antenna. I’ve got my Teletonika set up with one of these and a geofence, so I get a text if the boat moves more than a few metres. Really handy, was useful last year when someone pinched my mooring ropes and the boat went AWOL, I was able to ask a friend to moor it again while I was away. 

A little bit of script resets the current location after I move, triggered by a push button. 

7 minutes ago, PeterF said:

For those of you with a Victron GX device like the Cerbo or Colour Control and monitor it via the Victron VRM portal, you can add a USB GPS receiver and set a Geofence alarm in VRM and monitor the actual location.

Ah yep, forgot about that. The same approved GPS receivers will also work with a Venus on Pi install.