Building British Canals

Heartland

Featured Posts

This documentary was aired again last light, and this time I had a chance to seen the program and I did wonder where Dan Jones obtained his information and if Dr Wikky was there for him. The use of an image of a boy dragging a pit waggon underground did not quite fit with the construction of Blisworth Tunnel.

This program did highlight some of the problems that came about thought the protracted attempts to build the tunnel and also the problems encountered to build an aqueduct over the Great Ouse.

Yet there was a negative thread passing through this program implying failure of engineers and contractors alike. Dan Jones seems to do little to improve on the account written by the late Alan Faulkener.

I was most relieved NOT to hear that C&RT had built all the canals in the last few years. Made a refreshing change.

It did highlight how much we have lost from almost 5000 miles of canal.

The alignment of Blisworth tunnel is well documented though last nights account did lay too many of the problems on errors of surveying. There were considerable ground problems too.