Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Is this problem now over? I bought a refill a couple of weeks ago with no issues and at a reasonable cost?

I think its variable according to area. My home marina has good supply but I know other stockists are having real issues still.

On 26/06/2021 at 08:41, Liam said:

If they're official Calor stockists, then they should have had at least a few emails and also I've had a couple of letters about it all. There's also information plastered all over the Network Portal (online account management for stockists).

Should have, could have... but it seems that some suppliers on the Nene still know nothing about it.

On 26/06/2021 at 10:27, mrsmelly said:

We are still getting supplies, however much reduced in sizes as some are unobtainable. We received a letter from calor stating strictly only like for like bottles and not the usual groups that are interchangeable and we are not allowed to sell to new customers without an empty. Any one selling calor without such limitations must be a cowboy.

Or perhaps the letters haven't been sent to or reached everyone yet?

I don't think I've ever bought a new full gas bottle without exchanging it for an empty, so in terms of my own experience nothing has changed there.

I'll certainly keep my eye on the situation, but I won't make more of it than necessary until I can see some tangible shortages.

On 27/06/2021 at 18:10, MartynG said:

A marina neighbour just obtained a refill with no problem.

I guess its an issue  if you dont have an empty to trade in .

Yes, but in my experience that's been the case for many years.

Edited by blackrose

42 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Is this problem now over? I bought a refill a couple of weeks ago with no issues and at a reasonable cost?

I think it depends where you are located. Several caravan owners on the site here in Kendal are struggling to get refills in the Lakes area.

The van finally switched over to the second 11kg bottle yesterday. Will top it back up on our way past Bramley on the way home at £0.48 per litre 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

So its still not over and impossible to get new supply from calor. I rang them yet again today to order 4 by 47kg cylinders and was told yet again that they cannot supply new as they havnt got any. They will sell me full ones but only on a like for like exchange basis. This they say is likely to improve but as yet have no idea when that will be. So its still a major problem in many places.

Chatting today with a fuel boat steerer about Calor gas supplies. He believes that the shortage is due to the expanding sales of BBQ and similar equipment. The buyers finds the price of the BBQ type gas cylinders prohibitive at close tp £50 and change the dedicated regulator supplied for a standard propane one and order the corresponding regular cylinder.  He also remarked that the price goes ever upwards with the oil price but never comes down again. Currently the 13kg he has in stock are selling for £38.50.

32 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There are lots of new 47kg cylinders  and possibly other sizes at 

D Smithson Fuels

Liverpool Rd 
ST7 1EA Kidsgrove 

Thanks Tracy - that could come in handy for me, with the boat usually moored nearby. It's close to the T&M but I don't know about access. Trolley recommended as it could be a longish walk.

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Thanks Tracy - that could come in handy for me, with the boat usually moored nearby. It's close to the T&M but I don't know about access. Trolley recommended as it could be a longish walk.

There is a canal side access on the approach to Harecastle tunnel opposite the Macc junction.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There are lots of new 47kg cylinders  and possibly other sizes at 

D Smithson Fuels

Liverpool Rd 
ST7 1EA Kidsgrove 
Staffordshire England
one:
01782 785290
Fax:
01782 782749

who will fill them from his bulk supplies.

Thats a 4 hour drive for me. However thanks for the info as a 1 day van hire may be a way to get me started. Calor themselves are completely useless and of no help whatsoever.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats a 4 hour drive for me. However thanks for the info as a 1 day van hire may be a way to get me started. Calor themselves are completely useless and of no help whatsoever.

But I suspect they are not real Calor cylinders, phoning  and ask before travelling advised.

• Greenie 1

On 04/08/2021 at 17:31, Tracy D'arth said:

Chatting today with a fuel boat steerer about Calor gas supplies. He believes that the shortage is due to the expanding sales of BBQ and similar equipment. The buyers finds the price of the BBQ type gas cylinders prohibitive at close tp £50 and change the dedicated regulator supplied for a standard propane one and order the corresponding regular cylinder.  He also remarked that the price goes ever upwards with the oil price but never comes down again. Currently the 13kg he has in stock are selling for £38.50.

There are a lot of new caravan and motorhome owners as well. The vans and caravans do not come with cylinders from new, or as we found out when sold second hand through a dealer. So that is a lot of people looking for cylinders.

The Farcebook group for our particular brand of van must have three or four people a day looking for cylinders for their new purchases. 

Assume it is similar with new boats as well.

33 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The vans and caravans do not come with cylinders from new, or as we found out when sold second hand through a dealer. 

But when the dealers acquire second hand vans and caravans they often come with cylinders, which I assume the dealers feed back into the system. And folk who are part exchanging presumably keep their cylinders for the new van. So in both cases this doesn't actually contribute to the shortage of cylinders.

15 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But when the dealers acquire second hand vans and caravans they often come with cylinders, which I assume the dealers feed back into the system. And folk who are part exchanging presumably keep their cylinders for the new van. So in both cases this doesn't actually contribute to the shortage of cylinders.

When part exchanging yes.

We just swapped the cylinders over to the new 'van, or rather on our last p x  the dealer did it for us as they had the  'van  we were pxing for a week before we collected the new one.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Just obtained  a gas refill this weekend no problem.

The price had gone up by £2.50 since the previous refill in June.

The trouble with being ancient is that I keep expecting to pay about twelve quid for a bottle of gas, so it always comes as a shock!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

They were £10.40 when i started boating

We were talking about this over a beer a couple of nights ago. Petrol here now being 136 a litre. There was a young chap with his mates who was gobsmacked when I told him when I was his age we bought petrol by the gallon but it was in fact 7 pence a litre at that time :lol:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

We were talking about this over a beer a couple of nights ago. Petrol here now being 136 a litre. There was a young chap with his mates who was gobsmacked when I told him when I was his age we bought petrol by the gallon but it was in fact 7 pence a litre at that time :lol:

In the '60s we had a Ford Zodiac and then a Zepher (or the other way around) both used 5* petrol and I always remember at our local 'Jet' petrol station it being 4 gallons of 5* for £1 (equivalent to 5.5p per litre) by the end of the '70s 4* petrol has broken thru £1 per gallon

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the '60s we had a Ford Zodiac and then a Zepher (or the other way around) both used 5* petrol and I always remember at our local 'Jet' petrol station it being 4 gallons of 5* for £1 (equivalent to 5.5p per litre) by the end of the '70s 4* petrol has broken thru £1 per gallon

It was probably concidence but as soon as decimilisation came in in feb 71, it was the start of rocketing prices in the UK on just about everything!! I personaly am too young to have been motoring in the sixties you old goat :D

You are all old to remember those petrol prices. When I started driving 20 odd years ago is was 90ppl :unsure:

We paid 136ppl for diesel on Sunday at our local garage. Petrol was a couple of pence per litre cheaper.

I'm surprised fuel has not gone up more per litre in the last 20 years to be honest. It is only 44ppl more expensive which when you look at how much other items have increased in price over that same time frame probably isn't as bad as it could be. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Just obtained  a gas refill this weekend no problem.

The price had gone up by £2.50 since the previous refill in June.

Do you use the Calors or the Camping Gaz cylinders?

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Do you use the Calors or the Camping Gaz cylinders?

Our "Cat" being French has gas lockers designed to hold 2x Gaz 907 cylinders - however 2x 3.9kg Calor propane cylinders JUST fit in so it saves a fortune.

Camping Gaz 2.7kg are about £37, whilst the 3.9kg calor are only £18.50,

Half the price for 50% extra gas.