Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

Just now, Bargebuilder said:

Actually, I think enough of them are re-filling for themselves and for their friends who ask nicely.

Some will turn to Flogas, but they seem to use a number of different bottle dimensions.

The Flogas equivalent is no good for us, as I believe the ring on the base is bigger. 

I have swapped our 4.5 for a 13.

6 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Me and all my yachtie friends use butane on their boats and the 4.5kg is the most widely used amongst them.

Well then, change to the 3.9kg whilst you can and buy a pigtail and you can refill to your hearts content - saving (proably) 60% in refill costs.

A 3.9 propane 'refill' costs around £20 - call it £5.00 / kg

A 47 kg propane 'refill' costs around £90 - call it £1.90 / Kg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well then, change to the 3.9kg whilst you can and buy a pigtail and you can refill to your hearts content - saving (proably) 60% in refill costs.

A 3.9 propane 'refill' costs around £20 - call it £5.00 / kg

A 47 kg propane 'refill' costs around £90 - call it £1.90 / Kg

A 13kg Butane doner cylinder is much easier to manage and store and still makes for a cheap refill of a 4.5kg bottle.

I can live aboard full time for two months and not get through a 4.5kg bottle, and most yachties only sail for a few weekends each year with perhaps the occasional week as well: 47kg would outlive some of my friends!

34 minutes ago, magnetman said:

apparently 

L.P.G. has a high calorific value (Propane 95 MJ/m3 Butane 121 MJ/m3 ) compared with natural gas.

That is quite a big difference! 

I see where the confusion lies:

Butane is 13.64 kWh/kg

which is lower than

Propane at 13.99 kWh/kg

You buy both gasses by weight of liquid, so these figures are of more use when comparing prices.

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, magnetman said:

But shorely a mud weight is useful as well. Put spikes on it and write 'MINE' to keep baddies away from the dinghy. 

But it isn't is it. You should be a good boy and write "Calor's" on it. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

No that dinghy sank ages ago. 

I bought both my dinghies from boatyards. 

Aw, have I missed the video ending with just a floating raffia hat? That would be entertaining. 

• 5 months later...

Nearly a year after announcing that they were discontinuing 3.9kg propane & 4.5kg butane cylinders, Calor decided to reverse their decision, and now we have something in writing confirming this. Bit late for me as I had my boat modified to take 6kg propane cylinders nearly a year ago. Still not been able to find anything about it on the Calor website though.

Calor Confirmation of Continued Supply of Small Cylinders 25Jan24.pdf

Edited by Mike55