Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

10 quid in Go Outdoors vouchers?? That's good of them considering I paid about £40 deposit for each of ours!

Edited by Alway Swilby
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alway Swilby said:

10 quid in Go Outdoors vouchers?? That's good of them considering I paid about £40 deposit for each of ours!

But, as the article says - if you have your Calor hire contract you will get refunded in accordance with that.

I imagine that the vast majority of people (boaters, campers, home owners) have just 'found' their Calor cylinders in a hedge bottom, bought them from ebay, preloved etc, been given them or 'got them with the boat / caravan' etc. in which case they can get back £10 for something that cost them nothing.

A couple of years ago Calor did a similar exercise but you had to take them to Calor distribution centres (not retailers) which involved a major journey for me so I didn't bother. I have (probably) about a dozen cylinders but you are limited to taking back a maximum of 3 per trip.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, as the article says - if you have your Calor hire contract you will get refunded in accordance with that.

Providing of course you have carefully kept the paperwork from 10 to 15 years ago when you got the cylinder.

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Providing of course you have carefully kept the paperwork from 10 to 15 years ago when you got the cylinder.

Correct. And the ammount you get back diminishes on a sliding scale to just about zero the longer you have had them. (In fact it may even be zero but I havent got my paperwork to hand to check.)

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

But of course if the contract is over 7 years you only get 25% back anyway, so for that little 4kg cylinder that you paid a £20 deposit on you are better 'losing' the contract anyway For the £40 paid (example given) you are no worse off if it was 7+ years ago.

The age of your Cylinder Refill Agreement determines the refund proportion:

1 year old 70% refund
2 years old 60% refund
3 years old 50% refund
4 years old 45% refund
5 years old 40% refund
6 years old 35% refund
7 years old 30% refund
Over 7 years 25% refund

I recall that when I took out a cylinder refill agreement some 40 years ago, the refund dropped to nil after 3 or 4 years. I remember thinking then that that didn't give customers much incentive to return unneeded cylinders. I suppose the current 25% or more on bottles of any age will do more to get unused bottles back in circulation.

I think the sliding scale is entirely justified. The older the cylinder, the greater is the chance that it needs major refurbishment before it can be refilled safely. I have been to the plant (or at least, one of them) where Calor remanufactures its gas cylinders. It involves a lot more than a new coat of orange paint.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think the sliding scale is entirely justified. The older the cylinder, the greater is the chance that it needs major refurbishment before it can be refilled safely. I have been to the plant (or at least, one of them) where Calor remanufactures its gas cylinders. It involves a lot more than a new coat of orange paint.

Yeah, but it's the age of the agreement that counts. You might have a cylinder that you've only had for a week, but if it's 7 years since you first started using Calor, you only get back the 25%. 

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

My current agreement is 6 years old.

I last changed a cylinder around Feb this year. There isn't really a correlation between the age of the agreement and the age of the cylinders in circulation.

No agreement needed for cut found floating bottles, or inherited from Dad years back. 2 dumpy propane on boat, 2 13kg propane on the caravan, 2 spare butane 13kg for warm weather caravanning. 

Pah! I spit on your agreements!

7 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

No agreement needed for cut found floating bottles, or inherited from Dad years back. 2 dumpy propane on boat, 2 13kg propane on the caravan, 2 spare butane 13kg for warm weather caravanning. 

Pah! I spit on your agreements!

Nor for the one I got on Ebay many moons ago, when they weren't as rare as hens teeth.

I got a small Butane one for about a tenner I think from memory and subsequently managed to swap it for a 6kg Propane through a kindly dealer.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Nor for the one I got on Ebay many moons ago, when they weren't as rare as hens teeth.

I got a small Butane one for about a tenner I think from memory and subsequently managed to swap it for a 6kg Propane through a kindly dealer.

I've not had any issues swapping bottles either. 

1 minute ago, Jim Riley said:

I've not had any issues swapping bottles either. 

I once had a dealer refuse to swap a std. propane for a Caravan Lite one. Despite at the time them being in the same 'group'. I argued that I had kicked off with a lite (which the agreement confirmed) but hadn't been able to obtain one so I now wanted to swap back. After much 'umming and arring' and a telephone to Calor he reluctantly agreed to swap it back (I had the agreement on me).

It's immaterial now as I don't bother any longer as invariably suppliers don't have them anyway so just get the std. ones. I bought a separate 'in line' gauge to replace the one on the lite bottles which only gave a vague indication anyway,

6 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think the sliding scale is entirely justified. The older the cylinder, the greater is the chance that it needs major refurbishment before it can be refilled safely.

No it isnt justified at all.

You have an ageing agreement, not an ageing cylinder.

We probably change cylinders 6 times a year now(since Covid), sometimes we get an almost new one, sometimes a battered old one.

It's a cartel

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We probably change cylinders 6 times a year now(since Covid), sometimes we get an almost new one, sometimes a battered old one.

It's a cartel

You have to realise that certain posters don’t actually apply logic to a situation! 

16 hours ago, matty40s said:

It's a cartel

Yes, it's a cartel, but the battered old one is at least safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if finding empty cylinders is still a problem, but I came across 3 Calor cylinders flytipped with some other stuff at the top of a rough road in south West Yorkshire. Think there are 2x 13kg and 1 larger one. They appear to be in OK condition, not sure if they are fillable, but I should think the condition is Calor's problem once you've returned them. Are these junk or could they be useful to anyone?

1 minute ago, jetzi said:

Not sure if finding empty cylinders is still a problem, but I came across 3 Calor cylinders flytipped with some other stuff at the top of a rough road in south West Yorkshire. Think there are 2x 13kg and 1 larger one. They appear to be in OK condition, not sure if they are fillable, but I should think the condition is Calor's problem once you've returned them. Are these junk or could they be useful to anyone?

Are they owned by calor or any of its subsidiarys?

I did consider lugging them back to the boat but I already have my two 13kg cylinders. Really you'd need a car (preferably a 4x4) to go and fetch them, just thought if someone is really struggling to find the cylinders they might be interested. Disclaimer though, I don't know if they are in working order (or if that matters). DM me if you want them and I can give you GPS coordinates.