Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ours wont let you do this any more, they classify removal of anything from the site as 'theft'. It is how my daughter got hers though, 'back in the day'.

Ours, in normal times, has a makeshift "shop" where anything which might be of value is offered for sale. I've bought records and books from there, and two years ago we got a very handsome Murano glass fruit bowl for three quid (I beat the chap down from four quid). I presume the proceeds go straight into the staff's pockets and I'm happy with that, as they work hard and probably don't earn high wages.

When we lived in Derbyshire, we did indeed get an empty 13kg. gas bottle for a few pounds from the tip there. I was going to suggest a visit to the "recycling centre" to the O.P., but it appears that he is suited now.

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

13 kg hold 26 litres of gas did it for years, we had a LPG pump so I wasnt concerned, I no longer have gas on board or the LPG pump so dont do it anymore

We had gas heaters (the big horizontal rocket type) in our warehouse, we'd load up the truck and take a weeks worth of empties to a local 'gas-yard' where then stuck then on scales, connected them up and filled them with the correct weight, they could do 5 at a time.

Was a fraction of the cost of getting replacements delivered.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had gas heaters (the big horizontal rocket type) in our warehouse, we'd load up the truck and take a weeks worth of empties to a local 'gas-yard' where then stuck then on scales, connected them up and filled them with the correct weight, they could do 5 at a time.

Was a fraction of the cost of getting replacements delivered.

We are fitting a refillable gas system to the van when it arrives. First job to do when we get it.

To fill 2x11kg bottles costs around £30 vs around £35 a bottle from Calor. It's a no brainer.

We have a garage selling LPG just down the road so filling up won't be out of our way either.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are fitting a refillable gas system to the van when it arrives. First job to do when we get it.

To fill 2x11kg bottles costs around £30 vs around £35 a bottle from Calor. It's a no brainer.

We have a garage selling LPG just down the road so filling up won't be out of our way either.

Just one thing to be aware of is that the LPG from the pumps in Europe (Particularly Spain apparently) can cause issues with the jets on Gas Fridges. That said you may not be going to Europe or having a Gas Fridge!

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yours will be a 'proper' purpose designed system designed to be refilled and will (should!) cut off when the correct cylinder fill level is achieved.

Re-filling a standard Calor cylinder (or any none refillable cylinder) is often not allowed by retailers because of the risk of over filling them with the resultant fire risk. 

Most motrorhomers get a Gaslow system installed, I suspect that is what yours will be.

Handy for European touring as well as of course Calor is not available over the pond.

Unfortunately around our way LPG retailers are like hens teeth, and reducing due to lack of demand.

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yours will be a 'proper' purpose designed system designed to be refilled and will (should!) cut off when the correct cylinder fill level is achieved.

Re-filling a standard Calor cylinder (or any none refillable cylinder) is often not allowed by retailers because of the risk of over filling them with the resultant fire risk. 

Most motrorhomers get a Gaslow system installed, I suspect that is what yours will be.

Handy for European touring as well as of course Calor is not available over the pond.

Unfortunately around our way LPG retailers are like hens teeth, and reducing due to lack of demand.

We currently have six LPG stations within a few miles of our house so not really a problem yet, although we do realise that some are shutting down.

24 minutes ago, bigray said:

Just one thing to be aware of is that the LPG from the pumps in Europe (Particularly Spain apparently) can cause issues with the jets on Gas Fridges. That said you may not be going to Europe or having a Gas Fridge!

We will go to Europe when Covid has calmed down and things are back to something more approaching normal.

The idea is that we will fill the bottles before we go and that will then last us the duration of the trip. In theory anyway.

The van has a three way fridge so will be running on gas a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The gas suppliers would not take them back if they had been in the cut.

I've known more than one boater transport a gas cylinder to a remote mooring by tieing a rope around the top and chucking it in, and towing it down the canal. Yes, even the full ones float.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I've known more than one boater transport a gas cylinder to a remote mooring by tieing a rope around the top and chucking it in, and towing it down the canal. Yes, even the full ones float.

I do know of one that was towed behind the boat on the flexy hose for many miles before it was noticed.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Saw similar on the U with offside moorings, threw a rope over the cut and just towed it across

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Ours, in normal times, has a makeshift "shop" where anything which might be of value is offered for sale. I've bought records and books from there, and two years ago we got a very handsome Murano glass fruit bowl for three quid (I beat the chap down from four quid). I presume the proceeds go straight into the staff's pockets and I'm happy with that, as they work hard and probably don't earn high wages.

When we lived in Derbyshire, we did indeed get an empty 13kg. gas bottle for a few pounds from the tip there. I was going to suggest a visit to the "recycling centre" to the O.P., but it appears that he is suited now.

Ours has a similar shop, where you can drop off or buy previously owned goods.

However a couple of years ago, ownership transferred from the local authority to Age Concern.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Paul Lorenz at Bedford Basin had loads of Calor and others' cylinders in his yard that he had pulled out of the Bridgewater Canal on the Water Womble.

After the first refusal, why would he tell them?

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Paul Lorenz at Bedford Basin had loads of Calor and others' cylinders in his yard that he had pulled out of the Bridgewater Canal on the Water Womble.

Not any more!

Went to our local supplier today, opened boot he saw 13kg empty and said no chance he hasn't been able to get any for weeks. As he is the nearest supplier to two marinas don't sell gas this is going to be a problem I have about 5 weeks before other is empty.

24 minutes ago, Detling said:

Went to our local supplier today, opened boot he saw 13kg empty and said no chance he hasn't been able to get any for weeks. As he is the nearest supplier to two marinas don't sell gas this is going to be a problem I have about 5 weeks before other is empty.

Our calor delivery is tomorrow. I will see what they manage to bring us, it doesnt look promising.

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Fuel boat is out of gas, classic timing as I have 3 empty bottles to swap, both boats ran out at the same time :)

good job we are paranoid and always keep a spare each

If ya get stuck bring em here and have some beer we have some 13s ;)

• Greenie 1

On 16/04/2021 at 07:18, TheBiscuits said:

I'd heard they are gentrifying the basin.

Move the junk, new house built, everyone says how nice it looks.

Next thing you'll know the dirty boats will have to start moving out. ;)

It's not junk, its treasure!

There's a bit of tidying up to do, post house build, but it's still very much a boat yard and will definitely be staying that way.

In other news, I had a Calor delivery today, which was originally booked in a week ago for Friday but at least it arrived. Oh, and it was short, again. I can't remember the last time they turned up on time, and with a full order.

One retailer  I called had no refills in the size I  need.

Another , fortunately , had a few in stock at their usual   unattractively high  price  but at least we have that a full cylinder.

Sounds like supply of bottle gas may be a potential problem for a while .

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Just had our delivery. No shortage of 47s, 19s or 13s but nowt any smaller. The tiddly caravan etc stuff is a no way jose.

Fortunately one of the rings on our hob is electric, and the heating and fridge will work on electric too so if we run out completely we will cope, especially as we have the BBQ too.

We'd lose the oven and grill but we would still cope.

9 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just had our delivery. No shortage of 47s, 19s or 13s but nowt any smaller. The tiddly caravan etc stuff is a no way jose.

Other way round for me, 19kg and 6kg a plenty but another very short delivery on the 13kg.