Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

After a hugely protracted build delayed by COVID working, lockdowns, shortage of parts, our boat is ready to launch next week. Hooray.

Then we get informed that the Marina has been told by Calor that they can only sell refills and customers must bring in empties, there are to be no new fill supplies, so we need to see if we can find some propane. It is the same everywhere we tried, retailers will not supply new fills, only replacement fills. Tried our local Calor depot, spoke to someone, they told me to email them with my  requirements and they would see what they can do, zilch response.

There is now a reason why you need to spend that extra £30k on a gas free, lithium battery based, solar panel bedecked, electric boat with a big built in genny.

Anyway, I have managed to obtain a second hand cylinder to get me into the Calor game in time for the launch, but it has been an extra bit of hassle that could have been done without.

I bought a gas BBQ over the winter and was told by my local marina that they had been instructed not to supply new customers with patio cylinders. Fortunately had an unused 15kg butane cylinder so I had to buy a suitable regulator.  

No doubt you will be wanting a second bottle in due course, seemingly you can swap blue with red providing it's the same size cylinder. That would increase scope for sourcing a s/h bottle. (from an official Calor publication)

There is a huge demand at present and we cant get supplies from calor for some sizes, especialy the small caravan sizes they simply dont have any. It will rectify itself soon enough when the likes of Benidorm and Majorca come online and everyone sells their narrowboat, tent, motorhome etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

I bought a gas BBQ over the winter and was told by my local marina that they had been instructed not to supply new customers with patio cylinders. Fortunately had an unused 15kg butane cylinder so I had to buy a suitable regulator.  

No doubt you will be wanting a second bottle in due course, seemingly you can swap blue with red providing it's the same size cylinder. That would increase scope for sourcing a s/h bottle. (from an official Calor publication)

Ive never understood why people use 'patio' gas its just a gimmick.

Just now, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive never understood why people use 'patio' gas its just a gimmick.

It certainly is and you would be suprised how many people have fallen for it. First thing to do is cut the silly regulater off and fit a bog standard propane one.

18 minutes ago, Slim said:

Slim,

Thanks for this, looked on Calor website and yes if I can get an empty butane 15kg I can take a 13kg propane refill in its place. On my old boat I once had a propane cylinder that was obviously a blue one that had been resprayed.

Edited by PeterF

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

There is now a reason why you need to spend that extra £30k on a gas free, lithium battery based, solar panel bedecked, electric boat with a big built in genny.

The rate they're going you'll be paying the £30k on Calor refills. Calor take the piss. The price has gone up by more than 50% since we started living aboard.

I keep hinting to marinas that they should start stocking an alternative supplier, but until enough do, you can't afford to be without Calor cylinders. 

Of course to get decent competition, you'd need dealers with more than one company's products and to be able to return (say) a  Calor cylinder and take a Flogas one instead. The current Calor T&Cs preclude that. Maybe a case for the competition authorities, except that Calor probably employs a few carefully chosen Conservative  MPs as "consultants" to head off such things.

MP.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Try ebay (and yes I know they should not be for sale on there, but they are)

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion, just found an empty 15kg butane cylinder 10 miles away on ebay so I now have a pair and am all sorted.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The price has gone up by more than 50% since we started living aboard.

I was surprised that the price had actually gone down over Winter.

I bought 2 x 47kg (refills) this week and they were £2.50 cheaper than last Summer, now £65.

Much cheaper per kg than buying 13kg cylinders.

Almost 4x the gas for not much more than 2x the price.

We use to use a yard on the Oxford who sold Calor at a much lower price than everyone else and consequently shifted a lot of bottles. Calor took hi to task on his pricing but he called their bluff and pointed out how much he spent with them every month.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I bought 2 x 47kg (refills) this week and they were £2.50 cheaper than last Summer, now £65.

13Kg Propane has gone up again in the last month, and the RRP is now £35.50

47kg cyclinders are a bit unwieldy on a boat, and not generally available canalside.

MP.

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

31 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

13Kg Propane has gone up again in the last month, and the RRP is now £35.50

47kg cyclinders are a bit unwieldy on a boat, and not generally available canalside.

MP.

Alan does have these lapses of reality, frequently. Unless he can quote something he has found on line it tends to be drivel.

• Haha 1

I was told this back in October (chandler in question blamed non-boaters, said even the refill deliveries were very irregular and kindly sold me one without a deposit anyway as apparently they had a couple of spare empties). Not sure if it was a localised issue at the time.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It certainly is and you would be suprised how many people have fallen for it. First thing to do is cut the silly regulater off and fit a bog standard propane one.

Our standard bog isn’t gas. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Alan does have these lapses of reality, frequently. Unless he can quote something he has found on line it tends to be drivel.

I know a few boats that have 47kg cylinders (Dutch barges or ex working boats) 

However I think Alan had a caravan park or still does and was just pointing out how expensive small gas bottles are? I for one used to fill them myself from our pump as it saved a fortune!

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, jake_crew said:

Go to your local dump and get a cylinder in exchange for a few beer tokens.  

Ours wont let you do this any more, they classify removal of anything from the site as 'theft'. It is how my daughter got hers though, 'back in the day'.

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

However I think Alan had a caravan park or still does and was just pointing out how expensive small gas bottles are? I for one used to fill them myself from our pump as it saved a fortune!

As she keeps telling us, she is old and not very well, so I just let it go, and let her have little bit of confused enjoyment.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

I thought that was not permitted?