Is Spelling Important?

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Not nesser-celery. It depends on your subject. At one of my schools, the P.E. master's (handwritten) end-of-term reports had to be (type)written again by form teachers because they were such gibberish. He was irked when he found out, and spent a couple of hours swinging from trees and beating his chest, but calmed down when someone bought him a pint.

Addition and/or adaptation of punctuation was also a standard part of checking colleagues' reports. Then there was the maths teacher, a highly articulate lady and probably the best all-round teacher with whom I've ever worked, who just could not get it into her head that "alot" was two words.....

O I can pick you up there, that must be a first. The last line

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm not sure if my computer is equipped with this feature

The real pain is that my computer has at least three separate spell correctors / checkers (four if you include "none") and they don't talk to each other!

• None
  • The MS Office suite; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (which share a single dictionary)
  • Firefox (which checks my spelling online including CWF)
  • Office 365 which is web based but overrides the second and third bullets above (and uses "left click" not "right click" to offer suggestions)

1 minute ago, 1st ade said:

The real pain is that my computer has at least three separate spell correctors / checkers (four if you include "none") and they don't talk to each other!

• None
  • The MS Office suite; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (which share a single dictionary)
  • Firefox (which checks my spelling online including CWF)
  • Office 365 which is web based but overrides the second and third bullets above (and uses "left click" not "right click" to offer suggestions)

My best spell-checker is my degree in English.

Unfortunately, my computer hasn't got one.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo47 said:

After some time spent exploring in obscure menus I finally managed to disable the autocorrect features on both my laptop and my smartphone. I can now only blame my poor typing. 

That sounds like a good idea. I inadvertently sent a text to a friend this morning in response to her suggestion of sitting outside a pub this evening, warning her that there has been a frost every night, and it might be a bit nipple...

There is a frequent poster on this 'forum' who only rarely posts other than 'littered with apostrophes ; they may be inverted commas as they are mostly in 'pairs' although an odd number is not uncommon.  It is not unusual to have 'several' in only one sentence. 

Presumably they are meant to convey something - but I find it rather difficult to read the posts as my mind stops at each mysterious apostrophe (or is it an inverted comma?) in a fruitless attempt to decipher.  Sometimes there are apostrophes missing in the same post; I cant decide whether one cancels or compounds the other.

2 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Back to spelling, it's clearly not important to CRT, spotted today near Worcester.

I want to know what wares the cyclists will be peddling when they are pedalling past my boat !

IMG_20210416_133904.jpg

Now I would have never seen that, in fact I was looking for the word wares