Is Spelling Important?

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Isn't this an example of what he was complaining about?

Ok the posters comment isn't exactly an easy read but if it bothers you so much ignore it

Scousers and those of us from the posh side of the water add a Y to words, chippy, offy (offie?), kwiky

Chips and gravy. North.

Chips and salt 'n vinegar. South.

Chips, Eels London.

Chips and fried Mars bar. North Britain.

French fries ..... 

Edited by mark99

Just now, mark99 said:

Chinese!

Our local chippy was a Chinese take away, dead posh we was, made the best chips and curry sauce.

The reality is they absolutely weren't the best, mushy almost solid lumps of greasy chips but they were my childhood chippy chips so soooooo good :)

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Bulling is what a cow does when she is 'in season' and hoping a Bull will pass by.

If someone is a self-confessed poor speller, harping on about it and extracting the urine by endlessly referencing it does, I'm afraid, qualify as bullying and you should be ashamed of yourself. It certainly doesn't encourage someone to get more involved in the forum and, perhaps, get better at putting their meanings across in the process. It aint clever and it aint funny.

You can disagree with what was written, which I did, but responses of such stupidity add  nothing to the debate, or, in fact, to the various threads of the thread, especially as one of the valid points is that accurate spelling isn't that important. It just rather indicates that you're too thick to work it out.

• Greenie 3

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

15 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

However you have to know how to spell the words in the first place!   It does slow reading down by about 11% and in the words of Cambridge Uni Website:

" the 11% cost is smaller than would be observed for replacing letters, or for changing the order of external letters. So, the meme has some elements of truth in it, but is false in its entirety."

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

However you have to know how to spell the words in the first place!   It does slow reading down by about 11% and in the words of Cambridge Uni Website:

" the 11% cost is smaller than would be observed for replacing letters, or for changing the order of external letters. So, the meme has some elements of truth in it, but is false in its entirety."

It also has Capital letters in the correct places and the use of commas and full stops to make it readable.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Chips and gravy. North.

Chips and salt 'n vinegar. South.

Chips, Eels London.

Chips and fried Mars bar. North Britain.

French fries ..... 

What about spam, spam, chips and spam?

Que a song!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You completely miss the point.

The point is if the reader can spell but the writer cannot then often what has been written can stil be read.

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It also has Capital letters in the correct places and the use of commas and full stops to make it readable.

aoccdrnig to rscheearch at cmabrigde uinervtisy it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae the rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe

I can still read and understand it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We've just adopted an accessible format for our reports to make them easier for a person with reading difficulties e.g. dyslexia to read. As an aside it makes them easier for me to read without my reading glasses.

I'm pretty sure that someone with reading difficulties would struggle with the text youve posted! 

Note - reading difficulties does not imply a lack of intellect or education. 

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

One of the most intelligent (practical intelligence) people I know is dyslexic.   However his problem is writing and spelling he reads well.  I have however taught plenty with reading difficulties and you are right on both counts.   They would find it difficult/impossible to read and it is not a sign of lack of intellect or intelligence.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

We've just adopted an accessible format for our reports to make them easier for a person with reading difficulties e.g. dyslexia to read. As an aside it makes them easier for me to read without my reading glasses.

I'm pretty sure that someone with reading difficulties would struggle with the text youve posted! 

Again.

The point is nothing to do with reading difficulties. Its to do with people reading text produced by somebody with writing difficulties.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No punctuation, no consideration for the reader, lazy writing. Doesn't even make any sense.

Well that how I write don’t like it then move on from what I write 

Edited by Feeby100
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Isn't this an example of what he was complaining about?

Ok the posters comment isn't exactly an easy read but if it bothers you so much ignore it

Alan, (de Enfield), is the self appointed forum pedant, sometimes, (often?), nasty with it.

He wouldn't have the capacity to ignore something like that, nor the decency to recognise it for what it is, and leave it be :( 

• Greenie 1

I was never diagnosed Dyslexic although my daughter maintains that if I was at school today I would be. Computers, word processors and spell checks  have made my life so much easier. You would never read my hand writing.  The latter part of my working life, the last 6 or more years I was a shift supervisor at a gas plant, the most senior person out of office hours. The Installation Manager on Offshore Gas Platforms. Before we had PCs reports were faxed through every day. I struggled for hours writing those reports before Faxing them off.

• Greenie 2

There was a recent report of an Oxbridge  college saying that poor spelling would tolerated as it didn't matter. A reader's letter in today's Daily Telegraph  said it most certainly does, as any job application with spelling mistakes gets binned.  My son spent three years teaching in a senior school in London's East End before disillusion got the better of him, and despaired that school policy was to not correct all spelling mistakes so as not to discourage students. He made exactly the same point, a job application form riddled with spelling mistakes is hardly  calculated to enhance job prospects. 

The spelling of some english words changed around the time of the First World War, for example ax -> axe, color -> colour,  tire -> tyre. Many American spellings are in fact fossilised English ones, particularly regarding railways. George Stevenson referred to his locomotives being driven by engineers and trains overseen by conductors, running on railroads with rails supported by cross-ties, and tracks changed using switches.  This side of the pond we changed to drivers, guards, railways, sleepers and points, but the US has retained the original words.

I spent much of my working life in Patents, and funnily enough today read of a potentially valuable invention that has just been  refused on appeal  because an omitted comma in the claim was held to make the meaning ambiguous.

https://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2021/04/boeings-comma-drama-commas-and-taking.html

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos, link added
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Again.

The point is nothing to do with reading difficulties. Its to do with people reading text produced by somebody with writing difficulties.

The point is that someone with reading difficulties will struggle to read something written by someone with writing difficulties, or anything else that's not written in a standard format for whatever reason

33 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The point is that someone with reading difficulties will struggle to read something written by someone with writing difficulties, or anything else that's not written in a standard format for whatever reason

Which (IMHO) means that someone writing for a mass audience should "get it right"

Me writing a shopping list for Mrs 1st Ade - do what you want.

Someone writing (for example) a stoppage notice for CRT needs to be clear, unambiguous and concise. Otherwise you get boaters who thought the navigation was open turning back at the cofferdam and others turning left fifty miles shy of the breach as they misunderstood the advance warning.