Is Spelling Important?

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

Some people cannot spell or use full stops etc 

so what if you don’t like it move on 

it not being lazy just maybe you had a better education or more Academic.

i sure some people that cannot spell etc have Achieved far better things and people I can

11 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

i sure some people that cannot spell etc have Achieved far better things and people I can

As I've said before, the important thing is that you get understood. But it has to work the other way, too, and you seem to be deliberately refusing to take the point of this thread, and getting a bit aggressive about it.

Nobody has suggested poor spelling or grammar is laziness, though of course some of it is. It's only a skill like any other, though easier to learn when your brain's young and like a sponge.

"So what" is because these things are interesting to some of us, so we are discussing them. If they don't interest you, fine, but we aint going to "move on" because you don't want to participate. 

Reasonably good spelling and grammar helps communication, and it's hard to achieve much these techy days without that. There again, being able to understand and write musical notation you'd think would be essential for a composer, but Lennon and McCartney did pretty well without it.

• Greenie 3

54 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People asking waters or shop assistants "Can I get"

As a teenager I had a friend who worked in Allders, a large department store in Sutton, Surrey, sadly long since closed.

One day a woman came in and asked him "where can I get felt?"

Apparently he had trouble suppressing his giggles whilst directing her to the haberdashery department.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Well that's two unique usages.

...and that's a very clever comment!

23 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

it’s a form of bulling 

That's not entirely unknown on CWDF.

2 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

Ever tried reading Ulysses?

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

It not meant to be aggressive at all just saying a fact 

I just don’t like it when people point out people weakness it’s a form of bulling and that’s not on full stop 

Fine, but no one is. We're just discussing stuff. 

But pointing out a weakness is not bullying, otherwise how is one to know about it and improve? Harping endlessly on it, however, is, if it's something beyond the ability of the person to change.

We get this in the band, someone gets told they're playing something wrong and instead of trying to put it right, they go off in a huff saying they've been picked on.

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

Ever tried reading Ulysses?

I decided life's too short!

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Fine, but no one is. We're just discussing stuff. 

But pointing out a weakness is not bullying, otherwise how is one to know about it and improve? Harping endlessly on it, however, is, if it's something beyond the ability of the person to change.

We get this in the band, someone gets told they're playing something wrong and instead of trying to put it right, they go off in a huff saying they've been picked on.

I decided life's too short!

Ok well we are all the same so let all got on there to much crap on this forum and many more all arguing and disagreeing is supposed to be a present for him and it has plenty of great information from all you good boaters 

peace 

brad 

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Reasonably good spelling and grammar helps communication, and it's hard to achieve much these techy days without that. There again, being able to understand and write musical notation you'd think would be essential for a composer, but Lennon and McCartney did pretty well without it.

You are, perhaps, not making a distinction between the spoken and written word. The spoken word can be colloquial, with all sorts on 'mistakes', and people will still appreciate what is being said as they have some form of contact with the speaker. However, the written word is usually read without the author being there. It needs to be well written, with correct punctuation, if you want to put over your ideas in a way that shows people that you have spent some time on putting those ideas into an understandable format, and it also suggests that your research is sound. The modern media, such as that which we are using here, comes somewhere in between, which is a good reason why you should never rely upon what you read on a computer screen.

• Greenie 2

29 minutes ago, Feeby100 said:

Ok well we are all the same so let all got on there to much crap on this forum and many more all arguing and disagreeing is supposed to be a present for him and it has plenty of great information from all you good boaters 

peace 

brad 

No punctuation, no consideration for the reader, lazy writing. Doesn't even make any sense.

8 minutes ago, Pluto said:

You are, perhaps, not making a distinction between the spoken and written word. The spoken word can be colloquial, with all sorts on 'mistakes', and people will still appreciate what is being said as they have some form of contact with the speaker. However, the written word is usually read without the author being there. It needs to be well written, with correct punctuation, if you want to put over your ideas in a way that shows people that you have spent some time on putting those ideas into an understandable format, and it also suggests that your research is sound. The modern media, such as that which we are using here, comes somewhere in between, which is a good reason why you should never rely upon what you read on a computer screen.

I agree. If you are writing, you need to do it to the best of your ability, but as Feeby says  not everyone is very good at it. So the reader also has a duty to try to understand what's written  even if it looks a bit garbled. A book sometimes needs a bit of work on the reader's part, sometimes, like a good thriller, it doesn't.

Professional stuff needs proficient writers, but forums, rather luckily, don't. As to your last bit, it's why while I've had lots of good advice as to how to replace my Lister leak-off, and I've got the manual, I got an expert to do it!

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No punctuation, no consideration for the reader, lazy writing. Doesn't even make any sense.

I'm sure it made sense to him, although I'd question whether he re-read it before pressing "Submit Reply".

It can be difficult to distinguish laziness from ignorance from genuine word-blindness, but I would suggest that anyone writing something for public consumption has something of a duty to make his or her words as comprehensible as possible. If you want to get your ideas across, it is almost always the best way of doing it.

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Pluto said:

You are, perhaps, not making a distinction between the spoken and written word. The spoken word can be colloquial, with all sorts on 'mistakes', and people will still appreciate what is being said as they have some form of contact with the speaker. However, the written word is usually read without the author being there. It needs to be well written, with correct punctuation, if you want to put over your ideas in a way that shows people that you have spent some time on putting those ideas into an understandable format, and it also suggests that your research is sound.

To a point, I agree. But then there's the stuff that gets written for performance or for some other reason where writing 'correct English' wouldn't work. 

3 hours ago, Feeby100 said:

It not meant to be aggressive at all just saying a fact 

I just don’t like it when people point out people weakness it’s a form of bulling and that’s not on full stop 

I thought that bulling was an army concept?

(but suggesting that might even be construed today as bullying)

7 hours ago, Ray T said:

Ooh I do like this thread like u no, like.

:ninja:

Innit.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As we've moved on from spelling niceties to cringeworthy usage, may I nominate one which I have recently read: "least worst"? Has anyone else spotted this abomination?

Or is it fairly unique?

It's actually in the dick 'an 'arry.

"Sheeps" is another silly one.

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can plot a line across the West Riding between "ginnal" and "snicket". Outside Yorkshire both words are almost unknown.

In our London office we were looking at a map showing a shortcut from the car park to office. There was a lad from the North East so I said look, walk down the long ginnel and his head spunround so fast!

One that stuck in my head is "gad-gee".

That describes Iirc someone in minor authority like a parking warden, park-keeper, nightwatchman.

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't this an example of what he was complaining about?

Ok the posters comment isn't exactly an easy read but if it bothers you so much ignore it

4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Bristolians often ad an L to words, so Asda becomes Asdal or Asdals for example "want anything from Asdal?" It's said this started when the name was "Brigstowe" 

Scousers and those of us from the posh side of the water add a Y to words, chippy, offy (offie?), kwiky

• Greenie 1