Is Spelling Important?

Tam & Di

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Not strictly spelling but the interchange of effect and affect grates on me - the effect it has on me affects me quite badly

The Dutch seem to pronounce the two in the same way. Found this out when discussing affective computation with a researcher, I'd gotten the wrong end of the stick.

34 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Read a buck instead of book. That green stuff is grass not grarss . Keep your car in a garage not a garaaaarge. There are so many.

While considering myself an honorary Yorkshireman, I grew up in Sussex, but am now bilingual, so sometimes grass is grarss and cup can be anything. But my son wasn't when little, and while bathtime was a huge excitement for him, when I accidentally told him to get ready for his barth, he just looked at me, bewildered. Makes you think, that does.

My wife is Scots, so making scones is a nightmare.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

A nation divided by sconns and scoans!

I, of Derbyshire origin, use the former, while Mrs. Athy, from Essex, says the latter. She does seem to understand if I offer her a sconn, though, though she does request something called bu'er on it.

15 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

While considering myself an honorary Yorkshireman, I grew up in Sussex, but am now bilingual, so sometimes grass is grarss and cup can be anything. But my son wasn't when little, and while bathtime was a huge excitement for him, when I accidentally told him to get ready for his barth, he just looked at me, bewildered. Makes you think, that does.

Being a Laahndanner I recall being in student digs with a load of guys from Cumbria. They kept asking me to say the words "nail scissors" and fell about laughing!

Edited by mark99

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That would make him more than twice the age of the oldest recorded lifetime.

It must be all that "wellbeing" that keeps him going.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Definitely Sconns up here in Cumbria.

I've heard the variant "scorns" from someone of Northern origin, though I'm unsure which part of the North.

15 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

When you talk about spelling as something is spoken, this is wonderfully illustrated around the canal system. A couple off the Staffs and Worcs Canal are Tunstall Water Bridge, which is by Dunstall, and at Wombourne, we have Houndel Bridge which is where Ounsdale Road crosses. There must be many examples over the country.

When one considers the standard of education of boatmen and canal employees, then spelling and pronunciation obviously suffered. I always wonder about helms being corrupted to 'ellums, the same material used for canalboat bottoms.

I think it is sad that our education establishments are dumbing down the importance of spelling and grammar. Apart from the lack of pride in our language, it can only lead to the possibility of misunderstandings due to the vagaries of our tongue.

As a young boy growing up in Lancashire I often heard people from the Liverpool area saying they were going to the cinema to see a "fillum".

Perhaps other regions mispronounced words with an adjacent "L and M" the same way?

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Read a buck instead of book. That green stuff is grass not grarss . Keep your car in a garage not a garaaaarge. There are so many.

Yes I had the urine extracted from me for my pronunciation of those words as an 8 year old when we moved from Lancashire to Surrey.

The southern softies soon found why the northerners consider them soft though. Cry babies when given a slap! ?

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, cuthound said:

As a young boy growing up in Lancashire I often heard people from the Liverpool area saying they were going to the cinema to see a "fillum".

Perhaps other regions mispronounced words with an adjacent "L and M" the same way?

Rather, "pronounced", surely?

That one is, I'd guess, of Irish origin, which makes sense as Liverpool has a high density of Irish people amongst its population.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Rather, "pronounced", surely?

That one is, I'd guess, of Irish origin, which makes sense as Liverpool has a high density of Irish people amongst its population.

Depends on whether you think your pronunciation is correct or not, as to whether others mis pronounce it or not. ?

• Greenie 1

As we've moved on from spelling niceties to cringeworthy usage, may I nominate one which I have recently read: "least worst"? Has anyone else spotted this abomination?

Or is it fairly unique?

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Bristolians often ad an L to words, so Asda becomes Asdal or Asdals for example "want anything from Asdal?" It's said this started when the name was "Brigstowe"