Fitting gas hob

Featured Posts

Hi, as per the title, we are fitting a new gas hob to our narrowboat due to the sad demise of our old one. It would appear to be a case of disconnecting one gas pipe and connecting a new on with the appropriate sealants. Is the ruling that this should be done by a gas safe ( narrowboat registered ) engineer or could I do it myself ? Seems such a shame to get someone out for such a small job and charging gawd knows what. Presume for BSS purposes it should be a gas chap ?

THE WORK is not covered by BSS regs, but by the Gas Safety  Installation and Use Regulations GSIUR.  It must be done by a competent person.  If a competent person is paid, it must be a Gas Safe Registered person with appropriate endorsements for LPG and work on boats.

If the boat is lived aboard,  the competent person, paid or not, must be Gas Safe Registered, with appropriate endorsements.

That means you can DIY, if you are competent and are not living aboard.  If if blows up because of your work, that will be evidence that you are not competent and any insurer involved may duck and weave. 

All the BSS wants is a leak free system with adequate capacity,  properly constructed. It does not want details of who designed and constructed the gas system.  Testing it is for a BSS examiner to do or witness a Gas Safe fitter do, depending on the boat usage and the components of the system.

N

Well we neither live aboard and I could never be described as competent with regards to gas related things so I think we will stump up and get an appropriately qualified chap to do it. Thanks anyway

4 minutes ago, colmac said:

Another question if I may;the oven has electronic ignition requiring 230v which we don't have. Will it still be suitable i.e light it with a gas lighter ?

It may,

It depends.

Our LPG oven (and hob) requires 230v and the gas will not flow unless it has 230v - I assume there is some sort of valve that activates when power is present.

12 minutes ago, colmac said:

Another question if I may the oven has electronic ignition requiring 230v which we don't have. Will it still be suitable i.e light it with a gas lighter ?

I believe that some cookers need 230v to run a fan which cools down the fascia when the oven or grill is used  but If you are just changing the hob this won't apply.
You could think about fitting a small inverter if you want the ignition to work.

31 minutes ago, colmac said:

Another question if I may;the oven has electronic ignition requiring 230v which we don't have. Will it still be suitable i.e light it with a gas lighter ?

We have just fitted a Belling 60 wide oven with electric ignition and a cooling fan at the back, and I happen to be stood by it now.

The first picture  of the grill is taken with the electric on, the 2nd with it off.

It continues to burn, but without direction and the fan obviously makes the gas burn in a uniform way.

20210414_170321.jpg

20210414_170341.jpg

OK, thanks for that. The oven/grill in question is a; Midi Prima 7200 so hopefully someone who has one may know the definitive answer ? Apparently there is a 12v conversion thing available but, if we can just light it we would rather do that. Also, can I disconnect and remove the old one ? The gas is turned off so can't see a problem as long as I get a gas fitter to install the new one.

No problems with removing the old one yourself, but I would disconnect the gas bottle(s) as well.  That way the system is decommissioned and safe.   The gas fitter can then reconnect it all and test it.

N

If it's just 240V ignition, then you can user a lighter or a match instead. You may also be able to replace the 240V ignition module with a 12V one.

If its 240V ignition and fan, then check the cooker instructions, but I don't think you are supposed to use them without the fan running.  So you really need an inverter, either a low power dedicated one for the cooker, which could be switched off when the cooker is not in use, or a larger inverter which you can use for other things as well.

It would appear that gas engineers who are also qualified to work on narrowboats are like hens teeth, managed to find one though. Just wanted to ask, has anyone ever tried to contact Thetford by phone ? Had no luck at all so if anyone has a phone number they have had success with that would be appreciated. Thank you.

2 hours ago, colmac said:

It would appear that gas engineers who are also qualified to work on narrowboats are like hens teeth, managed to find one though. Just wanted to ask, has anyone ever tried to contact Thetford by phone ? Had no luck at all so if anyone has a phone number they have had success with that would be appreciated. Thank you.

I tried to contact them about a toilet, but had no luck at all and had to go through a distributor. That wasn't a lot more successful.

On 14/04/2021 at 18:06, colmac said:

OK, thanks for that. The oven/grill in question is a; Midi Prima 7200 so hopefully someone who has one may know the definitive answer ? Apparently there is a 12v conversion thing available but, if we can just light it we would rather do that. Also, can I disconnect and remove the old one ? The gas is turned off so can't see a problem as long as I get a gas fitter to install the new one.

Simples, and only £25. The fact that this is available "suggests" that there is no fan to worry about.

• Greenie 1

Thank you Richard. As I said earlier I had no joy trying to contact Thetford for the definitive answer but, I have now found a gas engineer ( narrowboats ) and he said the electrical supply was only for ignition which can be done manually and no fan.

On 14/04/2021 at 15:19, colmac said:

Hi, as per the title, we are fitting a new gas hob to our narrowboat due to the sad demise of our old one. It would appear to be a case of disconnecting one gas pipe and connecting a new on with the appropriate sealants.

Just for your info, ideally no sealants should be used, just compression fittings with soft copper olives.

On 14/04/2021 at 16:32, colmac said:

More important than the ignition is the jetting. Is the hob a dedicated LPG hob or did it come with LPG jets for conversion?