Are AMPS crucial in running 6v and 12v products?

Featured Posts

When dealing with low voltage outputs in domestic products like power chargers and routers, is it crucial to get the amperage (A) exactly right?

For example, I want to replace the power supply/charger on our Roberts SolarDAB radio. The original Roberts PU23 power supply has an output of: 6v / 800mA. I've seen this replacement that has an output of 6v / 1.0A. Does it matter that there is a 0.2A difference between the two?

spacer.png

Another example is: I want to run a Huawei B535 router directly off the 12v battery bank with a voltage stabiliser in line to protect it. The Huawei router adaptor is rated at 

DC (output): 12V / 1A. Can I replace the the adaptor with the stabiliser below rated at DC 12V / 4A and run the line directly to the router? Or is that a no no?

spacer.png

Obviously I'm not a genius on electrics. Any help or insights would be much appreciated.

You're ok , if the the adaptor can deliver more current than is needed. If the adaptor is under value, it will not meet the demands of the equipment. It will try and work harder and get warm, There will be resistance in the adaptor. Stabilizing (regulating) will help cope with battery charging voltage fluctuations.. 

Edited by Higgs

OK, thanks for that. This is what I half-suspected ... and was hoping for! 

I can't remember how many times I've read Nigel Calder's Boatowners Electrical Manual and still failed to grasp the basics.