Inboard disaster on the K&a

Featured Posts

So after a few months of trying to get my inboard to work ive finally given up and have been recommended to convert to an outboard on my 30ft grp. Obviously will need to take it out of the water, I'm on the K&a near foxhangers, does anyone know where I can get the boat on dry land for a week? Will I be hard pressed to find space now we're in better weather? Cheers

57 minutes ago, RodChapman said:

So after a few months of trying to get my inboard to work ive finally given up and have been recommended to convert to an outboard on my 30ft grp. Obviously will need to take it out of the water, I'm on the K&a near foxhangers, does anyone know where I can get the boat on dry land for a week? Will I be hard pressed to find space now we're in better weather? Cheers

Have you tried the obvious, Foxhangers Marina? They have a slipway and dry storage.

I,m sure you've thought this one through but what is the engine and whats wrong with it, I realise that if you knew what the problem is you'd have fixed it but its worth a try, might save some money.

13 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Have you tried the obvious, Foxhangers Marina? They have a slipway and dry storage.

Waiting for them to get back to me, just wondering the kind of wait time for a slot.

3 hours ago, Bee said:

I,m sure you've thought this one through but what is the engine and whats wrong with it, I realise that if you knew what the problem is you'd have fixed it but its worth a try, might save some money.

In all honesty aside from the cost of all this I'm keen to replace with an outboard to free up space in my aft cabin, engine hasn't been looked after for years and is worn, really not worth me fixing, I'm going to try and dismantle it myself in the water and sell it for parts. 

21 minutes ago, RodChapman said:

Waiting for them to get back to me, just wondering the kind of wait time for a slot.

In all honesty aside from the cost of all this I'm keen to replace with an outboard to free up space in my aft cabin, engine hasn't been looked after for years and is worn, really not worth me fixing, I'm going to try and dismantle it myself in the water and sell it for parts. 

Are you aware of the Boat safety additional requirements for the use and storage of petrol. 

You will need to apply for a new BSS as you are making a 'major change'.

It is not a simple as you may think.

You may also need a bracket and steering system fitting to your stern./transom as you will be unlikely to find an OB with a long enough 'leg' to suit, or you can cut a 'scoop' out of the transom, add a false 'deck' behind it to mount the OB.

You can determine which length of leg you need as follows :

Boat Transom Heights - The Beginner's Guide | My Westshore

Classic Whaler: Boston Whaler: Reference: Engine Brackets

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Alan makes a valid point about the BSS.

It may be simpler to have a bolt on mount on the transom, ensuring that it is strong enough to take the load,and also ensure that it is far enough out from the transom to allow clearance when the outboard is tilted up.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

See if you can lift it and how noisy it is before you try a diesel outboard. Also make sure the transom is strong enough to deal with the weight and vibration.

correct. To go from inboard to outboard is not really going to be cost effective, particularly if the transom needs adjustment or structural modification to take the weight and other forces.

The OP might be better off considering a recon replacement for his existing inboard if it is too far gone to repair economically.

I have had/used diesel outboards on ships boats before and the cheapo chinese type proved quite efficient and very reliable. Takes two guys to lift one but then again once on the boat it stays put.

https://www.vanguardelifeboat.com/products/diesel-outboard-engine/

On 14/04/2021 at 12:29, RodChapman said:

South ferriby Marina Brigg in Hull I'm at

hard standing it's got space on there I'm just starting my refit of 35ft river cruiser ? 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, RodChapman said:

Surely the existing Z Drive weighs and sticks out about as much as a small 10 or 15hp outboard?

Did you see the image of the framework someone suggested?

Anyway I don't recall him saying its an outdrive although I fully accept it might be.

On 14/04/2021 at 08:55, Bee said:

The existing engine is beyond hope, would I need to replace yanmar with yanmar or could I replace with a lister, penta etc. It has an Enfield z drive currently.