Outboard lower leg - can anyone recommend a suitable paint, please?

Featured Posts

The pre-1987 Honda 9.9hp on the GRP boat I bought about 18 months ago is still a great little outboard, but the paint on the lower leg is in a very poor state.  While the motor's off the boat for an oil change, I'd like to paint it (the lower leg) but as beginner, I'm not sure what type of paint I need to buy.  Obviously it'll need to be something that can stand up to immersion in canal water, but that's as much as I know.    Could anyone advise me, please?  

8 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

The pre-1987 Honda 9.9hp on the GRP boat I bought about 18 months ago is still a great little outboard, but the paint on the lower leg is in a very poor state.  While the motor's off the boat for an oil change, I'd like to paint it (the lower leg) but as beginner, I'm not sure what type of paint I need to buy.  Obviously it'll need to be something that can stand up to immersion in canal water, but that's as much as I know.    Could anyone advise me, please?  

The leg is probably an alloy so you will need to give it an 'etch primer' before painting it, otherwise it will just flake off.

You can use an enamel or even a 'smoothrite' (smooth version of hammerite) It'll always look like a 'home paint' if you don't do the preparation.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

That was my first thought, well not direct on to the metal, but I am not sure if anti foul is acceptable on inland waterways? 

I'd assume OP can find out what the metal is made of, eg steel or aluminium, and rub it down then prime it, the main thing must be to protect the metal, whereas anti foul is to prevent growth which slows down tbe boat. 

Try International Paints helpline, failing that Rawlins Paints have a technical service, but I think you might get short shrift asking about an outboard leg, they do oil rigs, bridges, etc.

Edited by LadyG

Thanks for your opinions, all.  I should have mentioned that the lower leg is aluminium.  I believe it'll need rubbing down and a zinc primer.  Alan's point about it looking like a definite DIY job is well made.  Fortunately, about 80% of the section that needs paint is under water.  Above the waterline, the original paint gives a fairly sound surface despite its age, so should come up better.  The cowl I have already resprayed and added new "Honda" transfers.

• Happy 1

It would help if in future you leave the engine tilted so as to be out of the water when not in use.

Once the alloy starts to go white and 'crumbly' its going to be a big job, you need to take it back to 'sound' alloy before priming and undercoating than a good quality gloss enamel.

Can you take the engine off and work inside ?

8 hours ago, Tom Morgan said:

Alan - the engine's in the back of my van at the moment. I took it off the boat this evening.  I have an engine stand here, so I can work at home. 

Youd be surprised at the number of boaters I've seen stood up to their waist in water 'doing stuff' to their OB's.

Anything up to ~50hp are easy enough to lift off, but above that it becomes a multiple-man job.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to thank members for their help.  After several days of rubbing down, I put on two coats of etching primer and three coats of Trilux 33.  Ready to go back on the boat this coming weekend.  I hope this will give this sound but rather ancient motor enough protection to last a bit longer.  (And I'll leave it tilted out of the water).

aaaaamotor.jpg

• Greenie 2