Trains & Boats

Ray T

Featured Posts

Quite a few on here have an interest in steam locomotives as well as canals.

Some take it a little further:

I have seen a narrowboat named "Evening Star" liveried in Brunswick green with black and orange lining, although I don't have a photo.

Today at Braunston, obviously a LNER A4 fan. 

Anyone know of others?

IMGP5266.JPG

IMGP5267.JPG

31-956_1004825_Qty1_1.jpg

• Greenie 2

I too have seen a n/b wearing LNER passenger livery and with cast nameplates, but it was some years ago and I can't remember its name! Also one in crimson lake with "LMS" insignia; that may have been an ex-station boat.

Still waiting to see one in Stroudley's Improved Engine Green.

There’s a boat moored on the offside at Rowington painted in BR mixed traffic lined black, although it may be LNWR livery which was very similar but perhaps with the coach lining the opposite way round (someone will be along to confirm). I also recall the boat carries the name “Stanier” on a cast nameplate, although I’m starting to think I may have imagined some of that.

There’s also a boat mocked up to look like a railway carriage in Pullman brown and cream livery including fake oval toilet windows painted at each end. It moors somewhere near Polesworth I think.

It’s not compulsory to confine interest in railways to steam locomotives though. They were withdrawn from everyday service before some of us were born.

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

There’s a boat moored on the offside at Rowington painted in BR mixed traffic lined black, although it may be LNWR livery which was very similar but perhaps with the coach lining the opposite way round (someone will be along to confirm). I also recall the boat carries the name “Stanier” on a cast nameplate, although I’m starting to think I may have imagined some of that.

There’s also a boat mocked up to look like a railway carriage in Pullman brown and cream livery including fake oval toilet windows painted at each end. It moors somewhere near Polesworth I think.

It’s not compulsory to confine interest in railways to steam locomotives though. They were withdrawn from everyday service before some of us were born.

DSCF3746.JPG

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

They were withdrawn from everyday service before some of us were born.

I remember them well, used to go to school everyday on a Steam train.

Walked about 1 1/2 miles from our house to East Leake station (Rushcliffe Halt - alongside the British Gypsum works - then train to Loughborough.

Rushcliffe Halt closed in the early 60's. This picture from 1964

"Black Five" 4-6-0 No. 45342 passes through the closed Rushcliffe Halt as it accelerates away from the stop at East Leake with a stopping service from Rugby to Nottingham Victoria on the morning of 9th May 1964.

45342 Rushcliffe Halt 09 05 1964 | "Black Five" 4-6-0 No. 45… | Flickr

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

I've  met "Sir Nigel Gresley", close to the Great Central bridge at Wolfhamcote  - Bill Hoole wasn't steering it though.......

OK - a bit of a cheat but I met him as well in 2014: 

IMG_0386.JPG

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

Quite a few on here have an interest in steam locomotives as well as canals.

Some take it a little further:

I have seen a narrowboat named "Evening Star" liveried in Brunswick green with black and orange lining, although I don't have a photo.

Today at Braunston, obviously a LNER A4 fan. 

Anyone know of others?

IMGP5266.JPG

IMGP5267.JPG

31-956_1004825_Qty1_1.jpg

Ray

Golden Eagle is owned by one of my staff. He bought it for its railway connections. Inside the boat are numerous fittings from the original train.

It was good to see you in Braunston today.

• Greenie 1

There was a very modern looking boat named "Sir William Stanier" and painted in a pastiche of the fully lined out express passenger livery of the the former LMS railway. I went to see it when it was up for sale - the brokers did not seem to know who Sir William Stanier was and had spelled his name incorrectly. I haven't seen the boat about in recent years.

We know a lot these days about the paints and colour schemes used by old railway companies. The general principle was to apply the most ornate livery to passenger coaches, express locomotives and stations but goods vehicles were rarely painted with the same degree of care or detail - these were often rendered in a dull grey or brown or even unpainted - some railway companies (such as the LMS) just mixed up left-over paint from other jobs with copious quantities of white lead to produce shades of muddy grey for their less important goods wagons. This would most probably have been the same for most LMS owned canal boats although, this is not an area of railway history that has been fully researched. What is clear, however, is that the ornate railway liveries that some people have applied to their boats in recent years do not, by any imagination, reflect the liveries that the original railway companies may have used for boats.

1 hour ago, NB Alnwick said:

There was a very modern looking boat named "Sir William Stanier" and painted in a pastiche of the fully lined out express passenger livery of the the former LMS railway. I went to see it when it was up for sale - the brokers did not seem to know who Sir William Stanier was and had spelled his name incorrectly. I haven't seen the boat about in recent years.

We know a lot these days about the paints and colour schemes used by old railway companies. The general principle was to apply the most ornate livery to passenger coaches, express locomotives and stations but goods vehicles were rarely painted with the same degree of care or detail - these were often rendered in a dull grey or brown or even unpainted - some railway companies (such as the LMS) just mixed up left-over paint from other jobs with copious quantities of white lead to produce shades of muddy grey for their less important goods wagons. This would most probably have been the same for most LMS owned canal boats although, this is not an area of railway history that has been fully researched. What is clear, however, is that the ornate railway liveries that some people have applied to their boats in recent years do not, by any imagination, reflect the liveries that the original railway companies may have used for boats.

Yup. There is a day boat at the Black Country Museum in what is supposed to be authentic GWR boat livery. Cream, but no chocolate, and no locomotive green.

6066992058_76990dd587_b.jpg?w=768

More pictures at https://inlanding.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/come-in-no-15/

• Greenie 1

The style (font) of the lettering is one that I have not seen used by the GWR elsewhere but who can be sure of absolute authenticity. There are very few of us left who can remember anything of the railways before nationalisation let alone the colours of railway owned narrow boats and contemporary photographs are mostly black and white. I would like to think that the ex L&NERly boats, Joel and Maria, are painted in what may be close to their original colour scheme but again there may be no contemporary evidence other than black and white photographs.

2 hours ago, NB Alnwick said:

The style (font) of the lettering is one that I have not seen used by the GWR elsewhere but who can be sure of absolute authenticity. There are very few of us left who can remember anything of the railways before nationalisation let alone the colours of railway owned narrow boats and contemporary photographs are mostly black and white. I would like to think that the ex L&NERly boats, Joel and Maria, are painted in what may be close to their original colour scheme but again there may be no contemporary evidence other than black and white photographs.

The paint scheme of Maria is taken from an original painting of another MS&L boat  (at Bosley locks?) at the end of the 19 century. Of course that may have been subject to artistic whims so cannot be definite. Maria has been re-painted since the above photos but remains very similar in appearance.

The L & NER livery of Joel  was not strictly accurate, copied from photos of the "old" Joel, which was scrapped in 1948. The present Joel was rebuilt (from another scrapper!) in 1948  at Gorton dock and painted in the blue & yellow "British Waterways" scheme for maintenance boats. Joel has since (2011) reverted to this rather unattractive BW livery* but retains several features belying its railway heritage, for example , the ex GCR tank engine  spectacle glass serves as a porthole on the engine room, borrowed from Gorton Railway works in 1948. A later feature is the EM1(class76,also built at Gorton) loco air horn , loud  at 100psi air pressure!

*Complaints  and bad language are sometimes received from boaters and TPWs who think the boat is still operated by the canal authority. A year or two back: "there's a dead sheep in the canal down there, can you dispose of it?"?

Bill

On 13/04/2021 at 16:37, Athy said:

I too have seen a n/b wearing LNER passenger livery and with cast nameplates, but it was some years ago and I can't remember its name! Also one in crimson lake with "LMS" insignia; that may have been an ex-station boat.

Still waiting to see one in Stroudley's Improved Engine Green.

The boat in LMS colours is Tebay, built in 1929 - and it was one of the boats converted to be a long distance butty.  But it's now about 52'

3 minutes ago, Hastings said:

The boat in LMS colours is Tebay, built in 1929 - and it was one of the boats converted to be a long distance butty.  But it's now about 52'

There's more than one ex-LMS station boat in LMS crimson livery. Delhi, much discussed on the forum a while back, is one and belongs to forum members.

37 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There's more than one ex-LMS station boat in LMS crimson livery. Delhi, much discussed on the forum a while back, is one and belongs to forum members.

True, David, I forgot Delhi, and I shouldn't have, especially as it's now spelt correctly again!

40 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Mecca is also in LMS colours - or was when it was moored in Loughborough. I doubt if its changed as the then owner had a steam loco driving ticket.

A different Mecca to this one? Taken at Sutton Stop July 2020.

IMGP7527.JPG

IMGP7528.JPG

Edited by Ray T

22 minutes ago, Ray T said:

A different Mecca to this one? Taken a t Sutton Stop July 2020.

IMGP7527.JPG

IMGP7528.JPG

Yes, completely different, that's normally moored at Furnace Lane on the GU, and is a converted Brum day boat. The Mecca that was in Loughborough is more like Cheshire Roses De(HLI)* 

*play with letters as you feel the need 

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Yes, completely different, that's normally moored at Furnace Lane on the GU, and is a converted Brum day boat. The Mecca that was in Loughborough is more like Cheshire Roses De(HLI)* 

*play with letters as you feel the need 

MECCA is on the left (taken some years ago in Braunston)

Mecca fore victoria arcangel cactus braunston 26 06 2010 (1).jpg

Don't forget 'Talyllyn' which is (or was) in authentic TR livery and sporting a very well executed painting of TR nameplate designed to fool the eye (as it did mine).  Boat moors, or used to moor, in Market Drayton, owned by a former TR driver.

We've done a boat called Lion in GWR lined green several times for a customer(a driver on a preserved line). Another one we repaint for a retired professional railwayman is in GWR crimson (but otherwise conventionally decorated as a boat) and there used to be a boat round here in an approximation of BR blue with yellow ends and BR 1980s style nameplates on the side called Merlin.

• Greenie 1

On 14/04/2021 at 18:38, David Mack said:

...............  because someone (owner, signwriter?) couldn't spell and it became Dehli.