Llangollen stoppage - Hurleston to Swanley

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

Oh Blimey!

Original message:

Please be advised navigation is closed between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal due an issue with a culvert.

Stop planks are being installed and we will be dewatering this section of canal to enable our teams to complete the necessary investigations.

An update will be provided Friday 16 April.

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

Oh Blimey!

Original message:

Please be advised navigation is closed between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal due an issue with a culvert.

Stop planks are being installed and we will be dewatering this section of canal to enable our teams to complete the necessary investigations.

An update will be provided Friday 16 April.

it never rains etc.....

Is that now 28 stoppages across the network? That could be a new record for the start of the "boating season"....A term I loathe but seems appropriate this year given that you can now stay onboard in a hire boat etc. Whats more annoying is that many of these stoppages could be prevented with some pro active maintenance such as culvert inspections and repairing broken paddles so you arent reliant on one working paddle.

• Greenie 2

One cant help but feel bloody sorry for the hire boaters who will have spent thousands on a holiday. Owners will get further chance but most hire boaters wont.

Just our luck! I think this was to be our 4th attempt at cruising to Llangollen all previous ones, we have had to turn back because of breaches or Covid. Our hopes were raised this morning when we got the email saying the lock which was the subject of yesterdays email had been fixed. Now we have a leaking culvert!!! It's not looking good. Could have been worse, we could have been up past the leakage when the canal was shut ? 

Haggis

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Just to add fuel to the fire, Iain has just read on FB that Stanhope lock on the Middlewich branch will be closed for 2 weeks from the 19th to rehang a gate. 

haggis

So we have the breach up at Whartons lock, the Llangollen at Hurleston, the Middlewich branch closed from the 19th.........all that is needed now is for something to happen on the Shroppie south of Hurleston and that entire part of the system will be cut off. Unbelievable.   

• Greenie 1

A full year with no maintenance was always going to lead to problems on reopening. The logical thing, wiyh no boats moving, would have been to have gone to town on fixing stuff. Although I suppose as they seem mostly to use contractors now, they haven't got anyone to do it.

But I understand we do have some nice new towpaths.

5 hours ago, haggis said:

Just to add fuel to the fire, Iain has just read on FB that Stanhope lock on the Middlewich branch will be closed for 2 weeks from the 19th to rehang a gate. 

haggis

I think that is the lock which had warning signs on last year. Has nothing been fixed over winter?

19 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

I think that is the lock which had warning signs on last year. Has nothing been fixed over winter?

yes, last year there was a notice telling you which order to shut the bottom gates in.  As far as we can see there is nothing on the C&RT web site about it but if it is not due till the 19th  it might still come out. So far we have just seen the odd mention about it on the internet so we don't know if it is genuine or not

haggis

5 hours ago, haggis said:

Just to add fuel to the fire, Iain has just read on FB that Stanthorne  lock on the Middlewich branch will be closed for 2 weeks from the 19th to rehang a gate. 

haggis

Corrected that for you Haggis, hope that's OK?

Is that going to fix a broken, bowed gate that is full of holes?  2 Week to hang a gate? Are they kidding?

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Corrected that for you Haggis, hope that's OK?

Is that going to fix a broken, bowed gate that is full of holes?  2 Week to hang a gate? Are they kidding?

Took them about a month to do the one at Wheelock, I seem to remember.

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Phoned C&RT and Stanthorne (correct spelling this time ? ) IS going to close on Monday 19th for 2 weeks. 

The Weaver beckons!

haggis

I'd like to know the background to this: it's difficult to maintain my habitual support of CRT maintenance on the known facts.

MP.

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I'd like to know the background to this: it's difficult to maintain my habitual support of CRT maintenance on the known facts.

MP.

So would I ! I said to the lady I spoke to how this is closing off a large part of the network just when we are allowed to boat again and she was sympathetic but of course she is an office worker and doesn't know the background. She booked the Weaver locks for me which was something ? 

haggis

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's the Upper Macc, the north T&M, the Middlewich link  and the route to Chester all shut.

Bet the Anderton Lift breaks down next...

Don't say that Arthur! I have just booked our passage down for Saturday. 

haggis

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

So would I ! I said to the lady I spoke to how this is closing off a large part of the network just when we are allowed to boat again and she was sympathetic but of course she is an office worker and doesn't know the background. She booked the Weaver locks for me which was something ? 

haggis

Don't say that Arthur! I have just booked our passage down for Saturday. 

haggis

You'll be fine. Something has got to keep working for a week or two! Though I am slightly wondering why I'm bothering to pay to get my engine fixed...

It appears that there is also a 'broken lock' on the Llangollen

From NBW

One of the most popular visitor waterways on the system the early Swanley Lock (1) is out of action with no access for hirers now heading for the canal, Keith Gudgin reports.

Swanley LockBrought to a standstill

This lock is just after the junction with the Shropshire Union, where boaters are able to negotiate Hurleston Flight then brought to a standstill at Swanley Lock just two miles further.

It is the damaged paddle on the lock that finally failed coming unattached, with engineers unable to carry out a repair.

Padlocked

All we are officially told is that 'our team have not been able to carry out a repair'. So the lock is now padlocked and unable to be operated.

There is no intimation as to when a repair will be likely to take place.

From NBW

One of the most popular visitor waterways on the system the early Swanley Lock (1) is out of action with no access for hirers now heading for the canal, Keith Gudgin reports.

This lock is just after the junction with the Shropshire Union, where boaters are able to negotiate Hurleston Flight then brought to a standstill at Swanley Lock just two miles further.

It is the damaged paddle on the lock that finally failed coming unattached, with engineers unable to carry out a repair.

Padlocked

All we are officially told is that 'our team have not been able to carry out a repair'. So the lock is now padlocked and unable to be operated.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It appears that there is also a 'broken lock' on the Llangollen

From NBW

Padlocked

pretty sure they fixed that yesterday Alan, you really must stop using NBW as your news source along with their exaggerated closure list

• Greenie 3