Llangollen stoppage - Hurleston to Swanley

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The last moderator to comment on this thread was @Athy this was before your first suggestion to change it back. So its likely that nobody with the ability to change it has seen it.

Ive tagged him in to this post so he may now see it. Or you could report your own post.

I reported it

You couldn't make it up.  After a year of searching, and procrastination over whether to sell bricks and mortar to liveaboard full time, I finally find a boat and have a survey on Tuesday of next week ass Stretton Boat Yard.  I was aiming, should the survey be OK, to get to Swanley by Saturday and paid a security deposit last weekend for a mooring.

I can give backword on giving up my rented home but face having a boat and no mooring!  I'd constant cruise if I could but I need car parking and to be fairly close to Stoke.

Nowhere suitable appears to have a mooring free.  Nothing at Norbury Wharf or Overwater.  Ah well.

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

Even more reason to change the title of this thread back to what it was in the first place, i.e. Llangollen closed near Hurlesden (Nothing to do with Swanley Lock).

Looks like its now been changed back.

33 minutes ago, NB DW2 said:

You couldn't make it up.  After a year of searching, and procrastination over whether to sell bricks and mortar to liveaboard full time, I finally find a boat and have a survey on Tuesday of next week ass Stretton Boat Yard.  I was aiming, should the survey be OK, to get to Swanley by Saturday and paid a security deposit last weekend for a mooring.

I can give backword on giving up my rented home but face having a boat and no mooring!  I'd constant cruise if I could but I need car parking and to be fairly close to Stoke.

Nowhere suitable appears to have a mooring free.  Nothing at Norbury Wharf or Overwater.  Ah well.

There's Aquaduct Marina on the Middlewich link or the one at Barbridge. Or go the other way, Stafford Boat Club might help, Stoke boats might have a space. There's a new farm mooring at the bottom of the Macc advertising spaces. Great Haywood is probably as near to Stoke as Swanley. Stone certainly is,  assuming I've got the right Stoke.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's Aquaduct Marina on the Middlewich link or the one at Barbridge. Or go the other way, Stafford Boat Club might help, Stoke boats might have a space. There's a new farm mooring at the bottom of the Macc advertising spaces. Great Haywood is probably as near to Stoke as Swanley. Stone certainly is,  assuming I've got the right Stoke.

Cheers.  I familiar with most of those - Aqueduct's properly expensive and not really liveaboard friendly.  Barbridge is a sod to moor because of the shelf - I briefly had a mooring there once and wasn't a fan.  Might give Great Haywood or Aston a call.  Shame though, I was really looking forward to getting up to Swanley.

8 hours ago, NB DW2 said:

Cheers.  I familiar with most of those - Aqueduct's properly expensive and not really liveaboard friendly.  Barbridge is a sod to moor because of the shelf - I briefly had a mooring there once and wasn't a fan.  Might give Great Haywood or Aston a call.  Shame though, I was really looking forward to getting up to Swanley.

There's the marina at Barbridge as well as the online stuff. On the lower Macc, there's Heritage Boats, that's a pleasant place, has liveaboards and is close enough to Stoke. They might do for a few weeks until you can get to Swanley.

On 13/04/2021 at 14:44, haggis said:

Things have certainly moved on and it is good that we can now get stoppage notices sent to our phones but I can't remember there being this many emergency stoppages in the pre internet days. I wonder how many are caused by poor maintenance and how many caused by  all the rain we seem to get now with global warming. 

It's more of a lottery now when you go boating

Haggis

CRT used to publish information regarding the number of days lost to emergency closures. However, they fudged the figures by excluding closures 'beyond our control'.  They finally abandoned this after I published information taken from the stoppage database showing that -

Number of closures and days lost to closures were increasing year on year.

CRT failed to make target every year.

They were excluding a higher proportion of stoppages each year (80% in the final year of publication).

From 1 April, I have started tracking the number of closures showing on CRT's stoppage database -

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)
Correct a typo
  • Greenie 2

9 hours ago, NB DW2 said:

Park Farm Marina, Oakwood Marina, both on the T&M near Northwich.

Linda Andrews of Cheshire Cat Narrowboat Holidays is not best pleased :

The paddle at Swanley Lock is now fixed, and a notice issued telling us that the navigation is now open.

However, just before that happened we have another notice telling us that the Llangollen is closed between Bridges 3 and 4 due to a culvert problem. As there is no winding hole between Hurleston and Bridge 3, that effectively closes the waterway from the junction.

So now we can't go to Llangollen, we can't go to Chester, we can't go round the Cheshire Ring, and we can't go up the Caldon or the Macclesfield canals. We can go onto the Weaver, but only in one direction.

And this is day one of our already shortened season.

Now of course there is also Stanthorne Lock (Middlewich Branch) closed for 14 (?) days.

Not much of anywhere left to go now.

Maybe A to B to A will become the 'new normal'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Linda Andrews of Cheshire Cat Norrowboat Holidays is not best pleased :

The paddle at Swanley Lock is now fixed, and a notice issued telling us that the navigation is now open.

However, just before that happened we have another notice telling us that the Llangollen is closed between Bridges 3 and 4 due to a culvert problem. As there is no winding hole between Hurleston and Bridge 3, that effectively closes the waterway from the junction.

So now we can't go to Llangollen, we can't go to Chester, we can't go round the Cheshire Ring, and we can't go up the Caldon or the Macclesfield canals. We can go onto the Weaver, but only in one direction.

And this is day one of our already shortened season.

Now of course there is also Stanthorne Lock (Middlewich Branch) closed for 14 (?) days.

Not much of anywhere left to go now.

Maybe A to B to A will become the 'new normal'.

It's all part of CRT's longterm plan to rent the entire towpath  as permanent houseboat moorings, thus increasing income vastly while cutting down on damage caused by moving boats.

• Horror 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's all part of CRT's longterm plan to rent the entire towpath  as permanent houseboat moorings, thus increasing income vastly while cutting down on damage caused by moving boats.

If only they charged those welded to the towpath in london the maintenance budget deficit would be solved and the rest of us could boat without worry of being stranded. 

12 hours ago, NB DW2 said:

It's a bit of effort but it is very possible to cruise with a car, especially for a temporary period. I'm a long-term continuous cruiser with a car, currently in Nantwich. There's an abundance of parking if you recce the options (Google Maps) prior to moving. Especially if you beat the Stanthorne stoppage and head in the direction of Stoke itself on the T&M. But you will end up doing a lot of walking or cycling!

13 hours ago, NB DW2 said:

What about Vatinian marina on the Middlewich Branch.  It wouldn't need to be residential as you will only be there for a short time hopefully. They do winter moorings so probably have vacancies' now 

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone.  Appreciated.  The problem is the car might draw unwarranted attention, as is often the case with hot hatchbacks, so would need somewhere to stick it that won't lead to me worrying over it.  Otherwise I wouldn't mind sticking it down a lane somewhere.

Anyhow, I spoke with Swanley, they reckoned on a week for the closure which isn't so bad.  So I'll be going on the visitor moorings at Overwater.

Thanks again.

Nice grey honda jazz. They dont lf you are a walker twitcher local or merely someone who has parked the car and forgotten where they left it.

I can inform from sad experience that anything with gti vrs will be stolen.

We even had a beige golf diesel non turbo stolen from stretton once. Clearly they were not joyriders, as it was found undamaged apart from the steering lock.

9 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Nice grey honda jazz. They dont lf you are a walker twitcher local or merely someone who has parked the car and forgotten where they left it.

I can inform from sad experience that anything with gti vrs will be stolen.

We even had a beige golf diesel non turbo stolen from stretton once. Clearly they were not joyriders, as it was found undamaged apart from the steering lock.

You must be a mind reader.  I'd pictured what it'd be like to have a grey Jazz dumped by a siding somewhere without anyone caring.  I've a 208 GTI, not the most expensive of hot hatches I've had but the only one that's been tampered with oddly.

An SDI Golf?  No wonder they gave up.  A getaway or a joyride would be faster on a narrowboat compared to one of those ?