Llangollen stoppage - Hurleston to Swanley

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

It was posted on Sunday as a broken paddle and was fixed first thing Monday morning. NBW late again with half the story. They could have gone on to say about the leaking culvert further up ? 

haggis

that will be tomorrows story, telling it like it is :D 

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

pretty sure they fixed that yesterday Alan, you really must stop using NBW as your news source along with their exaggerated closure list

Doesn't help much : (From stoppages on CaRT site)

From Date: 12/04/2021 13:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Llangollen Canal

Starts at: Bridge 3, Martins Bridge

Ends at: Bridge 4, Lees Bridge

Upstream winding hole: Stoneley Green Winding Hole, close to Bridge 10, Stoneley Green Bridge

Downstream winding hole: Hurleston Junction

Description

Please be advised navigation is closed between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal due an issue with a culvert.

Stop planks are being installed and we will be dewatering this section of canal to enable our teams to complete the necessary investigations.

An update will be provided Friday 16 April.

26 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Doesn't help much : (From stoppages on CaRT site)

From Date: 12/04/2021 13:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Llangollen Canal

Starts at: Bridge 3, Martins Bridge

Ends at: Bridge 4, Lees Bridge

Upstream winding hole: Stoneley Green Winding Hole, close to Bridge 10, Stoneley Green Bridge

Downstream winding hole: Hurleston Junction

Description

Please be advised navigation is closed between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal due an issue with a culvert.

Stop planks are being installed and we will be dewatering this section of canal to enable our teams to complete the necessary investigations.

An update will be provided Friday 16 April.

it's not good is it, from what I've read from someone who's spoken to CRT, passage is still open but will be "closed from the end of today or at the latest first thing tomorrow morning"

3 hours ago, haggis said:

So would I ! I said to the lady I spoke to how this is closing off a large part of the network just when we are allowed to boat again and she was sympathetic but of course she is an office worker and doesn't know the background. She booked the Weaver locks for me which was something ? 

haggis

Don't say that Arthur! I have just booked our passage down for Saturday. 

haggis

Just seen this on Twitter.....not sure who to believe now!...if you click on the link you can see the conversation with CRT office who said plans are still being drawn up....

Who did you speak to at CRT?

Edited by frangar

I phoned the o33030404040 number and after various selections I got through to the office for the north west. The lady said she would check with the manager for that area and phone me back. She phoned back a bit later and confirmed the closure from Monday and she said that it would be put on the wen site when the manager had the arrangements in place.  I don't do twitter so can't follow the link. What does it  say?

haggis

24 minutes ago, frangar said:

Just seen this on Twitter.....not sure who to believe now!...if you click on the link you can see the conversation with CRT office who said plans are still being drawn up....

Who did you speak to at CRT?

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

I phoned the o33030404040 number and after various selections I got through to the office for the north west. The lady said she would check with the manager for that area and phone me back. She phoned back a bit later and confirmed the closure from Monday and she said that it would be put on the wen site when the manager had the arrangements in place.  I don't do twitter so can't follow the link. What does it  say?

haggis

It says

Replying to

@MaineMa38328597

@MaineMa38328597

Hi MaineMan, thanks for getting in touch. There is currently some advice on using the lock while repair plans are undertaken, but no closure announced. Please keep an eye on the stoppage page here for updates https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18018-lock-2-stanthorne-lock-middlewich-branch-shropshire-union-canal… Best wishes, Louise

Thats sent from the @CRTcontactus account. 

One hopes your information is from a more knowledgeable source!

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

It says

Replying to

@MaineMa38328597

@MaineMa38328597

Hi MaineMan, thanks for getting in touch. There is currently some advice on using the lock while repair plans are undertaken, but no closure announced. Please keep an eye on the stoppage page here for updates https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18018-lock-2-stanthorne-lock-middlewich-branch-shropshire-union-canal… Best wishes, Louise

Thank you for the info. There seemed no doubt in the lady who I spoke to and who phoned me back after checking that the closure would take place . I wonder who replies to the twitter account? 

We are going to the Weaver instead of the Llangollen and after? who knows. It depends what is open but it may be a short trip ? 

haggis

2 hours ago, haggis said:

It was posted on Sunday as a broken paddle and was fixed first thing Monday morning. NBW late again with half the story. They could have gone on to say about the leaking culvert further up ? 

haggis

Quite. These things happen all the time, but in pre internet times most boaters never heard about them. You got an annual stoppage list through the post with your licence, and planned your boating around that. Copies would be posted on notice boards around the system, which is also where any unplanned stoppages of more than a few days got posted. Boaters just lived with it.

Later BW set up the Canalphone service (initially one national number, later separate North and South services) where you could ring a dedicated phone number and hear a recorded message of all the stoppages (planned and unplanned) over the next two weeks.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Later BW set up the Canalphone service (initially one national number, later separate North and South services) where you could ring a dedicated phone number and hear a recorded message of all the stoppages (planned and unplanned) over the next two weeks.

And if you were intending to boat on something like the Worcester and Birmingham Canal you would have to listen for ages as the mystery voice read out all the stoppages in alphabetical order of canal name...

• Horror 1

Things have certainly moved on and it is good that we can now get stoppage notices sent to our phones but I can't remember there being this many emergency stoppages in the pre internet days. I wonder how many are caused by poor maintenance and how many caused by  all the rain we seem to get now with global warming. 

It's more of a lottery now when you go boating

Haggis

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I understand they had to withdraw that service when their resident clairvoyant retired. ??

2 hours ago, frangar said:

It says

Replying to

@MaineMa38328597

@MaineMa38328597

I suspect "Louise" just fired up the relevant stoppage page. That's still the position on the CaRT web site

Why has the title of this thread been changed from my original (and correct) title? The tread is about the problem with a culvert between bridges 3 and 4 of the Llangollen Canal near Hurleston and stop planks going in. The Swanley lock stoppage is different and I believe now is fixed. Please can a mod change the title back to its original. Thanks.

Edited by Alway Swilby

On 13/04/2021 at 15:44, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm sure I saw somewhere the lock on the Middlewich link is shut for a fortnight from the 19th.

I've had no emails about any of these stoppages.

The stoppage notice is out for Stanthorne, CRT stoppage notice

Unfortunately, we need to close the navigation at Lock 2, Stanthorne Lock on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal to carry out a repair to the offside tail gate. We have seen further deterioration of the damaged gate and the feedback from customers is that the lock is proving extremely difficult to operate. Our engineers and operations team have been to site to reassess the lock and have deemed it crucial for the repair works to take place as soon as possible.

To allow some movement of boats we will be starting preparation work on site tomorrow to allow the repair works to commence on Monday 19 April and anticipate these works will take 7 to 10 days to complete.

Navigation will remain open until Monday 19 April and will be closed from 08:00.

We understand how frustrating and disruptive this is for our customers so soon after restrictions on navigation have been lifted and with the number of other stoppages in the region. Our teams will be working 7 days a week to get this fixed and back open and we will endeavour to improve on this timescale.

A further update will be provided by Friday 23 April.

17 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Why has the title of this thread been changed from my original (and correct) title? The tread is about the problem with a culvert between bridges 3 and 4 of the Llangollen Canal near Hurleston and stop planks going in. The Swanley lock stoppage is different and I believe now is fixed. Please can a mod change the title back to its original. Thanks.

Heres the latest update for the culvert stoppage on the Llangollen 

14/04/2021 17:06

Our engineers have been to site to assess the culvert between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal and they have identified severe leakage into the culvert. Whilst we have managed to complete a partial survey using remote CCTV equipment, we have been unable to survey the full-length of the culvert due to it being submerged underwater. We need to complete this survey to determine the cause of the significant leakage and to see if we can implement a temporary repair or if we need to close the canal and implement a full replacement or repair of the culvert. To complete the full CCTV survey, we will be installing dams from 08:00 on Monday 19 April to allow us to dewater the canal.

However, following feedback from customers and stakeholders and with the number of closures affecting travel across the North West, we have taken the decision to delay the installation of stop planks to allow passage through the affected area until the dams are in place. The stop planks are ready to be installed should the leakage deteriorate, and our teams will continue to carry out inspections to ensure passage is safe for our customers. However, should the problem deteriorate, we may be forced to close navigation before Monday.

Once our engineers have been able to dewater this section of canal, further investigations can resume, with the intention to carry out a temporary repair over a 7 to 10 day period which will allow navigation through the summer months while we plan for a permanent repair during the winter months. However, we are unable to confirm that a temporary repair will be possible, and we may need to complete a full culvert replacement which will close the canal for a longer period of time and customers should keep this in mind when planning their journeys.

Im going to ask if they can provide an update on Monday or Tuesday rather than waiting until Friday!

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Heres the latest update for the culvert stoppage on the Llangollen 

14/04/2021 17:06

Our engineers have been to site to assess the culvert between Bridge 3, Martins Bridge and Bridge 4, Lees Bridge on the Llangollen Canal and they have identified severe leakage into the culvert. Whilst we have managed to complete a partial survey using remote CCTV equipment, we have been unable to survey the full-length of the culvert due to it being submerged underwater. We need to complete this survey to determine the cause of the significant leakage and to see if we can implement a temporary repair or if we need to close the canal and implement a full replacement or repair of the culvert. To complete the full CCTV survey, we will be installing dams from 08:00 on Monday 19 April to allow us to dewater the canal.

However, following feedback from customers and stakeholders and with the number of closures affecting travel across the North West, we have taken the decision to delay the installation of stop planks to allow passage through the affected area until the dams are in place. The stop planks are ready to be installed should the leakage deteriorate, and our teams will continue to carry out inspections to ensure passage is safe for our customers. However, should the problem deteriorate, we may be forced to close navigation before Monday.

Once our engineers have been able to dewater this section of canal, further investigations can resume, with the intention to carry out a temporary repair over a 7 to 10 day period which will allow navigation through the summer months while we plan for a permanent repair during the winter months. However, we are unable to confirm that a temporary repair will be possible, and we may need to complete a full culvert replacement which will close the canal for a longer period of time and customers should keep this in mind when planning their journeys.

Im going to ask if they can provide an update on Monday or Tuesday rather than waiting until Friday!

Even more reason to change the title of this thread back to what it was in the first place, i.e. Llangollen closed near Hurlesden (Nothing to do with Swanley Lock).

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Even more reason to change the title of this thread back to what it was in the first place, i.e. Llangollen closed near Hurlesden (Nothing to do with Swanley Lock).

Agreed...it’s sounding across between narrowboatworld and a bad YouTube blog. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

Agreed...it’s sounding across between narrowboatworld and a bad YouTube blog. 

As you know, we're at Audlem.  If you're going north, you're a bit short of destinations.  North of Nantwich, there's normally three ways you can go, but ... Llangollen closed from Monday near its start due to a culvert problem (possibly for a few days, but could be a month or two); Chester Canal closed near Beeston till early summer probably; and the New Cut (Middlewich Arm) closed at Stanthorne for a week or two from Monday.  Why not just stay in Audlem and enjoy all the pubs, cafes and shops.  No point trying to go anywhere!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Sorry, I think it was me who mentioned the other closures and dragged the thread off the original topic. Perhaps a generic name would improve things as the thread now covers several stoppages and trying to sort them into separate threads would be a bit tricky. What about something along the lines of the "Restrictions of boating in the North West " ? 

Sorry ? 

Haggis

18 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

The last moderator to comment on this thread was @Athy this was before your first suggestion to change it back. So its likely that nobody with the ability to change it has seen it.

Ive tagged him in to this post so he may now see it. Or you could report your own post.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Sorry, I think it was me who mentioned the other closures and dragged the thread off the original topic. Perhaps a generic name would improve things as the thread now covers several stoppages and trying to sort them into separate threads would be a bit tricky. What about something along the lines of the "Restrictions of boating in the North West " ? 

Sorry ? 

Haggis

I think Boater Sam/Tracy has already got one of those running.