Chinese diesel heaters

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, bigcol said:

Hi

has anyone had a boat safety cert issued whilst having a Chinese heater installed please?

has it been a problem getting you boat passed ?

many thanks

col

But what BSS rules do they come under.

Heating or stoves,or engines?

Stoves I think are advisory items,but engine fuel systems are not.

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

But what BSS rules do they come under.

Heating or stoves,or engines?

Stoves I think are advisory items,but engine fuel systems are not.

Also where its mounted, I think its mainly concerned with the engine bay with diesel.

8 hours ago, bigcol said:

Hi

has anyone had a boat safety cert issued whilst having a Chinese heater installed please?

has it been a problem getting you boat passed ?

many thanks

col

It may be a good idea to contact your BSS inspector or e mail the BSS for clarification.

Like I said in another thread - I never did get the one I bought  to work despite the help form forum members. The fan blew cold air but fuel remained unburnt and dripped from the exhaust to form a puddle on the floor.  I didn't get to the stage when I put it on the boat but I assume the BSS rules would have something to say about dripping diesel fuel. The seller of the "heater" on ebay would not respond at all but I got a full refund. 

The reason why I’ve posting this question is in the instructions.

for a bss pass, machinery items must be installed as per manufacturers instalation requirements

so hence looking at the Chinese manual it has this

this is in very small text

Should folks be concerned

are their any codes etc to make this cool to use these heaters, re insurance?

E149847D-324F-42B4-93D4-AF95150CD1A0.jpeg

39 minutes ago, bigcol said:

for a bss pass, machinery items must be installed as per manufacturers instalation requirements

so hence looking at the Chinese manual it has this

this is in very small text

Should folks be concerned

are their any codes etc to make this cool to use these heaters, re insurance?

E149847D-324F-42B4-93D4-AF95150CD1A0.jpeg

The instructions seem contradictory.First bit says ship's cabin,and second bit says not to be used in a cabin.

The heater is likely to be a Chinese copy of a Russian copy of a Eberspacher,so the instructions have probably been translated from German to Russian to Chinese to English.

My opinion,I stress only my opinion,if I have understood the BSS guidlines correctly,is the fuel tank to be installed so it can vent and drain overboard for the inevitable spillage when refueling.

The fuel feed pipe needs to be metal and not plastic.This will probably be brake pipe using compression joints and olives,or using a pipe flaring tool as in car brake pipes.

This is only my opinion,and may be wrong,that is why I suggested contacting your inspector or the BSS to get clarification.

If your inspector passes the installation,then in the event of an insurance claim,you should be covered.

54 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I guess that the difference in price between them and an Eberspacher is the design criteria and quality.

An Eber is designed for continuous use in (say) buses for heating the passeger compartment whislt the Chinese components are presumably not specifeid with continuous use in mind.

I doubt the BSS inspector would even realise it is a Chinese heater (if he even looks at it) and will be even less aware of the installers instructions (unless someone has posted them on a boaty forum somewhere.)

Don't over think it - if it fails the BSS it fails and you replace it.

The Bss states

1. the item Part, has to be installed to manufactures requirements and instructions.
  2. plus’s is there any safety  codes use to be British standards the eu cert etc?
Edited by bigcol

• 5 months later...

Be very careful, as you get what you pay for and a cheap diesel heater is only around 100 quid plus postage from Fleabay. Whay you get could be Carbon Monoxide poisoning, as the internal parts rust and that will eventually cause exhaust fumes to leak into the cabin, assuming it does not just catch fire first!

Yes I do use one at present but never sleep with it on and do have a dual CO and smoke detector fitted nearby.  If you are short of battery umpfh factor, don't forget they use around 4 amps of 12v to feed the HP pump and fan unit.

Carbon monoxide poisoning - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Yep, 60 dead a year on average in the UK!

I'm still thinking of an Origo Heat Pal alcohol burner, as I've never heard of one killing anyone and they don't need 4 amps!  Alas they are unobtainium!

Dometic ORIGO 5100 HeatPal spirit alcohol heater cooker marine (jacksonsleisure.com)

Note: In theory you can still get some CO from using the wrong type of alcohol or restricting the air flow to an alcohol stove, so I would still fit a CO monitor. The main point to note is that putting a pot on the stove increases the CO output slightly.

Edited by TNLI

5 hours ago, TNLI said:

Note: In theory you can still get some CO from using the wrong type of alcohol or restricting the air flow to an alcohol stove, so I would still fit a CO monitor. The main point to note is that putting a pot on the stove increases the CO output slightly.

You haven't had a BSS done recently then or you would already have a CO monitor! 

There is no choice, they are mandatory now, or so my BSS bod insisted when he made me fit them. (Not that I had any objection to having them.)

5 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Mike, he does not seem to have a boat that is subject to the BSS so it has no relevance to him (apart from being a pointer to best practice). He has said that he intends to sail across the Atlantic in his boat.

Doh! And there was me thinking we were discussing canal boats, silly me. 

Assumption is the mother of all cock-ups, as I tend to blurt out, randomly.

I believe people throw away the ancillary pieces and use proper Eber or Webasto bits to connect the Chinese heaters, as the supplied bits are useless. Search YBW for lengthy threads on the subject, also the place if you are crossing oceans.

The Russian Eber copy, Planar, sold as Autoterm, comes with usable bits, but of course costs more.