Re-paint

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, just joined.

Thinking of buying a second hand boat, 2017 . Went to view and it's showing some rust spots in quite a few places. Very low hours, has sat in Marina plugged into mains since new. Should I be concerned?

Thoughts? Cost or re-paint, (60x10)any ideas and where to have it done. Boat currently nr Northampton. 

Thanks in advance for any info.

Enjoy your day

Maria.

If it's merely rust spots, a decent touch up shouldn't be too difficult for you to do yourself, with a bit of advice from here. Or you could pay someone to touch it up for you.

From recent discussions here, it looks like a full repaint is anything between around £8,000 for a cheap job, to £11,000 for a good job.

Have you got some pictures of the extent of the rust spots?

Near Northampton on the GU, or on the Nene? 

Several boat painters handy on the GU.  Baxter's at Yardley Gobion, Colin Dundas at High House, Stowe Hille,  Steve Furniss at Weedon.

Not so sure about the Nene and as a WB you cannot easily get from one to t'other.

N

42 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

From recent discussions here, it looks like a full repaint is anything between around £8,000 for a cheap job, to £11,000 for a good job.

I wonder whether those are narrowboat prices, not widebeam.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Near Northampton on the GU, or on the Nene? 

Several boat painters handy on the GU.  Baxter's at Yardley Gobion, Colin Dundas at High House, Stowe Hille,  Steve Furniss at Weedon.

Not so sure about the Nene and as a WB you cannot easily get from one to t'other.

N

But if on the Nene there is the best paint shop ever just down river.

https://tolandlindasboatpainting.co.uk/

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If it's merely rust spots, a decent touch up shouldn't be too difficult for you to do yourself, with a bit of advice from here. Or you could pay someone to touch it up for you.

Have you got some pictures of the extent of the rust spots?

2 years ago I was quoted between £8k and £13k for a 60 foot narrowboat (3 colours), so I think a 60 foot widebeam would be about 50% more than a narrowboat.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

With rust spots on the cabin, I would also worry about being sat in a Marina on a landline. I hope you're having a survey

I wouldn't be unduly concerned. There are literally thousands of boats sat on landlines and thousands of others without landlines, both with rust spots on the cabin. The two have nothing to do with each other. 

Rust spots are a sign of neglect but who can honestly say they've never had any rust spots on their roof, decks or cabin sides? What it might tell you is that a 4 year old boat wasn't very well painted by the builder. Lots of budget boats aren't.

If that boat doesn't have some form of earth isolation fitted on the landline then I'd be concerned, but that's a different matter. Before commissioning a survey I think I'd want to see evidence of a galvanic isolator or isolation transformer.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Loddon said:

But if on the Nene there is the best paint shop ever just down river.

https://tolandlindasboatpainting.co.uk/

Thanks for the recommendation.

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

I wouldn't be unduly concerned. There are literally thousands of boats sat on landlines and thousands of others without landlines, both with rust spots on the cabin. The two have nothing to do with each other. 

Rust spots are a sign of neglect but who can honestly say they've never had any rust spots on their roof, decks or cabin sides? What it might tell you is that a 4 year old boat wasn't very well painted by the builder. Lots of budget boats aren't.

If that boat doesn't have some form of earth isolation fitted on the landline then I'd be concerned, but that's a different matter. Before commissioning a survey I think I'd want to see evidence of a galvanic isolator or isolation transformer.

Thanks for the reply. This is my concern.Based on your advice have asked about the isolator/transformer.

Regards.