DIY Solar box advice

spicemouse

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Another post about solar! 

I've got my set up sorted I think  (2 x 290W panels, all the other stuff..) but I could do with some advice on the solarboxes I'm planning on building myself. I

After much reading and looking at other boats, I've got a design I think will work and fit my boat. 

Boxes: Made from decking as is often the case, with oak supports inside. No hinges, the legs from the lid will support the panel when it's propped open to get more sun. Should allow opening on the log or short side. A chain will be secured into the panel and into the base, stopping anyone lifting it off (hopefully). 

boxes.png.9c8689201aef9c7ec75e99564d42b4b1.png

Box 1: Sits ahead of my centre line (well clear, shouldn't be an issue with the rope). Offset to starboard to allow passage along the roof. Clear of mushroom vents. 

Front_SolarBox_1.png.f75b019251a60dde313066fb75807e45.png

Front_SolarBox_2.png.04bfbc255dfdcf5ea138e20eb5d8d1f7.png

Box 2: Sets above the rear cabin, partially covering the open hatch, with space before the pigeon box (see picture). Slightly offset to starboard again, but less room here. Hopefully enough space around sides to accommodate centre lines. 

Rear_SolarBox.png.81e52d8416fbf608871e1b553a679d8d.pngRear_SolarBox_2.png.a52c1812cffabd46a566275137039da5.png

I'm just looking for any advice on this, as it'll be my first time building these. If I've made a rookie error, or if there is something you think would really help please let me know! 

Again, sorry for another solar post, hopefully this one will be useful to future boaters planning on building their own boxes. 

Edited by spicemouse

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

have you taken into account the curvature of the roof (assuming you have some) as the model looks flat, this would require longer legs to create clearance for the hatch.

It's fairly flat, and I've given myself a bit of clearance (also to allow some sanding down of lets to get a better fit). Maybe I'll give myself a little extra to make sure, can always cut but can't add so easily! 

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

No hinges, the legs from the lid will support the panel when it's propped open to get more sun.

That does look like it is an expensive error in the making.

If the lid is not properly attached (hinged) and not properly restrained ( just 'propped' up) a nice gust of wind &, at the best, it will flip and smash your panel, and at worst it could disappear overboard, or blow into another boat.

As solar panels become of 'more interest' and the scrotes on the canal become more numerous you need to ensure that your panels are as secure as possible, so the scrotes go off and steal some other less prepared boaters' panels.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

That does look like it is an expensive error in the making.

If the lid is not properly attached (hinged) and not properly restrained ( just 'propped' up) a nice gust of wind &, at the best, it will flip and smash your panel, and at worst it could disappear overboard, or blow into another boat.

As solar panels become of 'more interest' and the scrotes on the canal become more numerous you need to ensure that your panels are as secure as possible, so the scrotes go off and steal some other less prepared boaters' panels.

Good call. I had only briefly considered wind, and while the chain might stop it going into the canal it would still cause damage. 

My alternative was one of these on each side, locking when needed:239008602_61niAwkYZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.eaa87c075cf7537f98731fc77bb8f819.jpg

Hi Spicemouse,

Don't know if you are a big cruiser but do these alter your air draft drastically?

Most of the time it won't matter but having to move them a lot could be awkward?

Only mention as solar is something we are looking at.

15 hours ago, NB Leo said:

Hi Spicemouse,

Don't know if you are a big cruiser but do these alter your air draft drastically?

Most of the time it won't matter but having to move them a lot could be awkward?

Only mention as solar is something we are looking at.

I think I'll be fine. They add no more than 40cm to the existing air draft of 150 ish cm. I'll be able to handle up to 1.9m headroom, and that was with a half empty water tank. 

There are some tunnels and bridges, that if I'd added 40cm to the air draft I wouldn't have got thru'

There are several locations where you need to remove your chimney, which I guess would be about 40cm above the roof, or you may end up with not only your panels in the water, but your entire 'top-box'.

The Harecastle tunnel is one that springs to mind.

Where do you cruise ?

Also, how tall are the people who will be steering the boat? Having to stand on tippy toes to see over the top, or peer round the sides would be a pain for any who are vertically challenged. I try and keep all roof mounted things as close to the roof as possible. Still had to remove stuff to fit through some canal infrastructure. Standedge tunnel particularly.

Jen

Front box is 36-37cm on top of cabin, read box is 27cm on top of cabin. 

Airdraft is then 187cm (6'2") . 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are some tunnels and bridges, that if I'd added 40cm to the air draft I wouldn't have got thru'

There are several locations where you need to remove your chimney, which I guess would be about 40cm above the roof, or you may end up with not only your panels in the water, but your entire 'top-box'.

Where do you cruise ?

I'll be completely below Foxton locks, as the boat is a little wide. So no Harecastle for me!

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Also, how tall are the people who will be steering the boat? Having to stand on tippy toes to see over the top, or peer round the sides would be a pain for any who are vertically challenged. I try and keep all roof mounted things as close to the roof as possible. Still had to remove stuff to fit through some canal infrastructure. Standedge tunnel particularly.

Jen

I made the rear box shorter to allow better visibility. You'd have to be very short for it to cause problems! 

Helen.png.b53bc3121d617ef1de1bcc734d8dba58.png

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where do you cruise ?

And some that requires a 12" ish roof mounted radio aerial  taking off. The rail bridge (I think) on the South Stratford and another rail bridge on the River Wey that I know of and I think the tunnel on the T&M is tight as well.

27 minutes ago, spicemouse said:

I'll be completely below Foxton locks, as the boat is a little wide

Ahhhh - being a 'fat boat' makes it even worse unless you bring the boxes 'well inboard' of the outline of the boat.

A fatboat cannot use the same bridges as a NB becasue the arch shape restricts the airdraft of a FB much more than a NB

(Nothing against 'fat-boats' we are 14 foot beam)

I hope the picture is self explanatory.

Arched Bridge and Widebeams.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ahhhh - being a 'fat boat' makes it even worse unless you bring the boxes 'well inboard' of the outline of the boat.

A fatboat cannot use the same bridges as a NB becasue the arch shape restricts the airdraft of a FB much more than a NB

(Nothing against 'fat-boats' we are 14 foot beam)

I hope the picture is self explanatory.

That does make sense. She's only a couple inches fatter than average though, so hopefully not a big issue for the boxes. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, spicemouse said:

@NB Leo all useful stuff too! 

What solar are you looking at? I'm going for 2x 295W panels from Bimble, 1.5m x 1m. 

Which direction is crosswise? 1.5m won't leave you much room to walk past them on the roof, which is sometimes essential, usually in an emergency in a lock in my experience...

If you're putting them lengthwise (1m wide so no problem getting past) and can fit them in, the 380W 1.8m panels are about the same price as the 1.5m 295W ones -- there's a lot more competition in the standard size panel market so pricing is better as well as output per square m.

41 minutes ago, IanD said:

Which direction is crosswise? 1.5m won't leave you much room to walk past them on the roof, which is sometimes essential, usually in an emergency in a lock in my experience...

If you're putting them lengthwise (1m wide so no problem getting past) and can fit them in, the 380W 1.8m panels are about the same price as the 1.5m 295W ones -- there's a lot more competition in the standard size panel market so pricing is better as well as output per square m.

That's a great shout actually,  I was worried about fitting as it would mean a greater overlap at the back. But it's just 20cm... quick model update doesn't look so bad at all. 

380 Aft.png

380 Fore.png