Lurking in a new lair

Ray T

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No but the boats on it should be suitable for it. The affair in the tunnel shows this one was not and steering by joystick and TV monitor is not likely to be easy or even possible in a crowded water way.

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was not just the look, Joy stick steering and other hi tec things that didn't appear to work to well. Yes that is the one.

Maybe a retro fit

Yes I agree the joystick steering seems not to have been a great idea. Having now read the review that Alan de Enfield posted a link to "it was the constant pressure from the tiller that [the owner] didn’t like on his long weekend on a normal narrowboat" so he opted for an OTT fly-by-wire joystick control system at god-knows-what-cost as a solution. Each to their own ?

5 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Yes I agree the joystick steering seems not to have been a great idea. Having now read the review that Alan de Enfield posted a link to "it was the constant pressure from the tiller that [the owner] didn’t like on his long weekend on a normal narrowboat" so he opted for an OTT fly-by-wire joystick control system at god-knows-what-cost as a solution. Each to their own ?

Might have been better fitting power steering to a conventional tiller system 

22 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

There are tiller pilots (autopilots) and hydraulic wheel steering, but power tiller steering?

Why not? Something that senses the tiller movement and applies force to the steering, reducing the pressure which the steerer has to apply to the tiller, yet retaining the direct mechanical link between the steerer's hand and rudder that provides the fine control which makes tiller steering so much better than wheel (or, I suspect, joystick).

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why not? Something that senses the tiller movement and applies force to the steering, reducing the pressure which the steerer has to apply to the tiller, yet retaining the direct mechanical link between the steerer's hand and rudder that provides the fine control which makes tiller steering so much better than wheel (or, I suspect, joystick).

I agree, it sounds feasible. I'm just not aware that such a thing exists for tiller steering.

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

It is interesting to see the progress, or lack of this boat.

It was a bold experiment, some may say otherwise, but IMHO it was always doomed to failure at it is a 21st Century boat with many innovative ideas on a 17th Century system.

If you put regressive instead of innovative I would agree Ray! 

Well found. It would be a good static  London boat. Dragged along on a bit of string every now and then but....

luxury inside!

Edited by mark99

I wonder if it is a passive joystick or has feedback. I suspect the former because as I understand it there was a problem stopping it wondering all over the canal.

I can see no reason why the valve assembly and torsion bar could not be modified to fit to the rudders stock to control a steering ram.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wonder if it is a passive joystick or has feedback. I suspect the former because as I understand it there was a problem stopping it wondering all over the canal.

I can see no reason why the valve assembly and torsion bar could not be modified to fit to the rudders stock to control a steering ram.

Am I being simplistic/thick or just ignorant by suggesting a servo extension on the rudder forward of the pivot?

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Am I being simplistic/thick or just ignorant by suggesting a servo extension on the rudder forward of the pivot?

I don't understand that. You need some kind of hydraulic valve to  react to steering movement and  also provide feedback. The ram associated with such a valve can be connected to a lever anywhere convenient on the rudder stock.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I don't understand that. You need some kind of hydraulic valve to  react to steering movement and  also provide feedback. The ram associated with such a valve can be connected to a lever anywhere convenient on the rudder stock.

Sorry Tony,I was being simplistic.

No hydraulics or electronics,but a simple rudder extension forward of the rudder pivot,about 25% of rudder size or less if there is insufficient prop clearance.The upstream bit of the rudder then gives a servo effect,lightening the force required to move the rudder.

Just now, Mad Harold said:

Sorry Tony,I was being simplistic.

No hydraulics or electronics,but a simple rudder extension forward of the rudder pivot,about 25% of rudder size or less if there is insufficient prop clearance.The upstream bit of the rudder then gives a servo effect,lightening the force required to move the rudder.

In other words a balanced rudder exactly like the vast majority of canal boats have and almost certainly Whitfield does as well. From what has been said I don't think the lightness was the issue, it was more that prop walk meant the rudder always needs holding a tad off-centre and the first owner found it tiring.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

In other words a balanced rudder exactly like the vast majority of canal boats have and almost certainly Whitfield does as well. From what has been said I don't think the lightness was the issue, it was more that prop walk meant the rudder always needs holding a tad off-centre and the first owner found it tiring.

Thanks Tony didn't know it was called a balanced rudder.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Or a trim tab on the rudder. Not even sure it would need to be adjustable. Or just have a longer uxter plate, with a greater distance between propeller and rudder.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nothing wrong with that, we have an ensuite to the master cabin and a 'visitors' toilet/bathroom  on both out boats

I may be mis-remembering it, but I thought that the short pumpout boat at the ABC marina was called Two Loos Lautrec. If it is not then (a) it should be and (b) my oblique joke will have fallen flat (again!)

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

I may be mis-remembering it, but I thought that the short pumpout boat at the ABC marina was called Two Loos Lautrec. If it is not then (a) it should be and (b) my oblique joke will have fallen flat (again!)

Indeed it is, I obviously wrongly assumed that your post following the posts about the boat with two loos applied to it.

Apologies for being a bit dense - I'm not used to so much sunshine.

Two Loos Lautrec b.jpg

Two Loos Lautrec.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I wonder how old Two Loos Lautrec is?

We hired from IML at Anderton in 1988, well before ABC took over and Two Loos was operating then.

Just now, cuthound said:

We hired from IML at Anderton in 1988, well before ABC took over and Two Loos was operating then.

Ive a feeling they no longer have it at Anderton....I think it might have ended up being for sale at Pillings Lock at some point but that might be my memory failing. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Ive a feeling they no longer have it at Anderton....I think it might have ended up being for sale at Pillings Lock at some point but that might be my memory failing. 

I think you are right on that, its gone for sure

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

It was there when we first hired back in 1979 when they were Masterfleet

Edited by StephenA
  • Greenie 1