Lurking in a new lair

Ray T

Featured Posts

I think that the nature of the UK canal network can be challenging to anyone who wants to keep a boat in pristine condition.

I know of at least one instance where someone paid over £10,000 for a paint job only to have one side of it completely defaced within days.

To pay £250,000 for a boat that is going to be exposed to such a harsh environment may indicate either questionable judgement or exceptional wealth . . .

3 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

To pay £250,000 for a boat that is going to be exposed to such a harsh environment may indicate either questionable judgement or exceptional wealth . . .

...with the former quickly wiping out the latter if you're not careful.

6 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

Nothing wrong with exceptional wealth. So if someone would like to send me some I'd be happy to prove the point.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A review from the launch :

Fernwood – White | Canal Boat

So how much did all this cost? Neither the owners nor the builders are willing to say, but it’s thought to be in the region of £250,000 (an estimate that neither the Glaves nor the Warriners made much effort to argue with). Fernwood do say, though, that they’ve been contacted by a couple of clients who would have bought Whitefield had it been for sale, and were prepared to pay significantly more than a quarter of a million pounds for it.That sort of price tag means Whitefield must be a contender for the most expensive narrowboat ever built, as well as one of the more unusual.

Another of their avant-garde offerings.

Facebook

12038590_772938372831728_6320359326876721585_o.jpg

10855159_772938376165061_7663606032775948552_o.jpg

11114027_772938352831730_5859897694309267304_o.jpg

12027244_772938462831719_5594686641362769533_o.jpg

Edited by Ray T

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Again, it's hardly avant garde is it?  A removable table on the cruiser stern, and....what else?

a horrible sloped-back square bum with i'm assuming mesh vents and not windows into the engine bay?!?

i thought it was being steered by Toulouse-Lautrec until i realised that was a rope and not his feet :D 

Edited by Hudds Lad
observation

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Again, it's hardly avant garde is it?  A removable table on the cruiser stern, and....what else?

Hull shape.

Rear deck configuration.

Window shape.

Steering method (can't see a wheel or a tiller).

Wrap-around rope fenders.

Bling!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Hull shape.

Rear deck configuration.

Window shape.

Bling!

It does have a tiller.........

Tiller.JPG

Edited by The Happy Nomad

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Hull shape.

Rear deck configuration.

Window shape.

A slightly unusual design then.

I can see a tiller.

This is relatively common thing

Bling!

???

An avant garde canal boat might include a hollowed out pumpkin pulled along by a flock of drones.  This is just a slightly differently designed narrowboat and the forum predictably throws its collective hands up in the air.

It just goes to show how predicable and 'safe' narrowboat designers, and their customers have become.  Hence terms like 'clonecraft'.  But in the 60s and 70s leisure craft were far more diverse on the canals.

Edited by doratheexplorer

I'm all for seeing unusual boats even very individual styled ones. They neither offend me nor bother me in the least.

My only concern if I owned such a boat would be the resale value as one is unlikely to find somebody else with the exact same taste. As long as people who commission such boats appreciate they stand to lose a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

An avant garde canal boat might include a hollowed out pumpkin pulled along by a flock of drones.  This is just a slightly differently designed narrowboat and the forum predictably throws its collective hands up in the air.

I'd never thought of pumpkins as being avant-garde - indeed, being perishable, their use as hull material would be a retrograde step.

I haven't noticed collective hands being help up in horror. I wouldn't want the blue boat but I don't mind looking at it. I particularly like its dining chairs, though there's nothing avant-garde about those. They just remind me of the ones in one of my favourite restaurants.

2 hours ago, Jackofalltrades said:

So an ancient canal network should only have ancient looking boats on it? That's not how humans roll !

No but the boats on it should be suitable for it. The affair in the tunnel shows this one was not and steering by joystick and TV monitor is not likely to be easy or even possible in a crowded water way.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'd never thought of pumpkins as being avant-garde - indeed, being perishable, their use as hull material would be a retrograde step.

I haven't noticed collective hands being help up in horror. I wouldn't want the blue boat but I don't mind looking at it. I particularly like its dining chairs, though there's nothing avant-garde about those. They just remind me of the ones in one of my favourite restaurants.

A definition:

"The avant-garde (/ˌævɒ̃ˈɡɑːrd/;[2]French: [avɑ̃ɡaʁd];[3] from French, 'advance guard' or 'vanguard', literally 'fore-guard')[4] are people or works that are experimental, radical, or unorthodox"

A pumpkin use as a foodstuff or lantern is not avant-garde.  Used as a boat would be reasonably avant-garde (it's been done), but then pulled along by drones...bingo!

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A review from the launch :

Fernwood – White | Canal Boat

So how much did all this cost? Neither the owners nor the builders are willing to say, but it’s thought to be in the region of £250,000 (an estimate that neither the Glaves nor the Warriners made much effort to argue with). Fernwood do say, though, that they’ve been contacted by a couple of clients who would have bought Whitefield had it been for sale, and were prepared to pay significantly more than a quarter of a million pounds for it.That sort of price tag means Whitefield must be a contender for the most expensive narrowboat ever built, as well as one of the more unusual.

And one of the highest depreciating! ?

It is an object lesson on what happens if you try to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of it.

I expect it is not only the looks, but also the joystick control that puts potential purchasers off.

7 hours ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Is this the boat? https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-315.html

From the outside it looks like a narrowboat designed in and for the 21st century - different, but I quite like it, apart from the hideous bow canvas (cratch cover?)  Looking at the interior pics it looks like whoever fitted it out made a good job of it. Personally I think it would be boring if all boats looked the same.

It was not just the look, Joy stick steering and other hi tec things that didn't appear to work to well. Yes that is the one.

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It does have a tiller.........

Tiller.JPG

Maybe a retro fit

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe a retro fit

Thats not Whitefield, Thats Water Bull.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Spooling error