Lurking in a new lair

Ray T

Featured Posts

Took the boat for blacking yesterday and came past this marina on the Coventry Canal.

Whitefield has apparently found a new home and grown a pram hood. 

For the uninitiated that is not a Potato Alien from the Smash advert on the bow, it is a pair of horns on top of a mirrored dome containing a video camera

IMGP5251.JPG

IMGP5252.JPG

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Took the boat for blacking yesterday and came past this marina on the Coventry Canal.

For the uninitiated that is not a Potato Alien from the Smash advert on the bow, it is a pair of horns on top of a mirrored dome containing a video camera

IMGP5251.JPG

IMGP5252.JPG

It’s always had the front hood...well it was left with some of it after a moment in Crick tunnel...I’m not sure if it’s always had the back one....wonder if that’s electric too?? 

34 minutes ago, Ray T said:

IMGP5251.JPG

IMGP5252.JPG

Unless its been repainted the red paint is holding up well to not fading.

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Has anyone actually bought the boat or has it just been shifted from marina to marina in a desperate attempt to sell it

I thought it’s new owners popped up on here a few years ago....or was it Facebook?? They hid again though! 

6 hours ago, Ray T said:

IMGP5251.JPG

IMGP5252.JPG

That looks like the boat (?) is backed into the work bays at Streethay Wharf, so maybe its having a new bag of CPUs.

It was moored at Stone until 2019. The owners decided to sell and put some effort in to tidying it up. They went on a final cruise towards Tixall and we caught them up because they were having problems. The engine refused to run at more than tickover. They made it as far as Great Haywood, got it fixed and put it on brokerage. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

It was moored at Stone until 2019. The owners decided to sell and put some effort in to tidying it up. They went on a final cruise towards Tixall and we caught them up because they were having problems. The engine refused to run at more than tickover. They made it as far as Great Haywood, got it fixed and put it on brokerage. 

That is where I last saw it

It is interesting to see the progress, or lack of this boat.

It was a bold experiment, some may say otherwise, but IMHO it was always doomed to failure at it is a 21st Century boat with many innovative ideas on a 17th Century system.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Is this the boat? https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-315.html

From the outside it looks like a narrowboat designed in and for the 21st century - different, but I quite like it, apart from the hideous bow canvas (cratch cover?)  Looking at the interior pics it looks like whoever fitted it out made a good job of it. Personally I think it would be boring if all boats looked the same.

11 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

. Personally I think it would be boring if all boats looked the same.

Yes, it would.

Some aspects of this boat could be described as "fabulous", but the U.K. canals are perhaps not its ideal environment.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, it would.

Some aspects of this boat could be described as "fabulous", but the U.K. canals are perhaps not its ideal environment.

So an ancient canal network should only have ancient looking boats on it? That's not how humans roll !

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently it did cost in excess of £250,000 some 13 years ago.

If true then I can't help thinking that's a tad excessive! By a factor of about 2.

22 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

Is this the boat? https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/boatsforsale-315.html

From the outside it looks like a narrowboat designed in and for the 21st century - different, but I quite like it, apart from the hideous bow canvas (cratch cover?)  Looking at the interior pics it looks like whoever fitted it out made a good job of it. Personally I think it would be boring if all boats looked the same.

Yes that's it - I think from a listing when it was sold previously.

18 hours ago, frangar said:

It’s always had the front hood...well it was left with some of it after a moment in Crick tunnel...I’m not sure if it’s always had the back one....wonder if that’s electric too?? 

As built.

boat update 059.jpg

WHITEFIELD---00197.jpg

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Jackofalltrades said:

If true then I can't help thinking that's a tad excessive! By a factor of about 2.

A review from the launch :

Fernwood – White | Canal Boat

So how much did all this cost? Neither the owners nor the builders are willing to say, but it’s thought to be in the region of £250,000 (an estimate that neither the Glaves nor the Warriners made much effort to argue with). Fernwood do say, though, that they’ve been contacted by a couple of clients who would have bought Whitefield had it been for sale, and were prepared to pay significantly more than a quarter of a million pounds for it.That sort of price tag means Whitefield must be a contender for the most expensive narrowboat ever built, as well as one of the more unusual.

• Greenie 1